Fully playable Wolverine PC build circulating 😬😥😥 PhD plus DMCA notices to ppl who downloaded.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The issue is that Sony then took similar stance for ALL their traditional games, not just the Marvel ones. See: Horizon Forbidden West.

Altho again, Sony 100% don't need PC for a game like X-Men to sell 6 million copies in its first year. Only if Disney/Marvel fuk up X-Men in the MCU SO badly that they suck away any enthusiasm, would an X-Men game from Insomniac/SIE even risk not reaching 6 million on PlayStation alone in its first year.

Smells to me the problem here might be Disney/Marvel...

From a PC strategy, this is what I wouldn't mind:
  • Day One: All online-only GaaS games excluding Gran Turismo, which should stay a PS exclusive
  • 6 months post-release: 1st party adjacent (known as 2nd party) games
  • Between 2 years post-release and Never: 1st party non-sony IP (Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc)
  • Never: 1st party SP games, including those that have an online MP mode like GoT
This could be a healthy compromise between maximising profit and keeping your platform enticing for players. Anything other than that would not be acceptable.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Interesting. It all adds up yeah.

Herman Hulst was also one that said PC ports of single player games would happen a year after PS5 version. Then a couple months later Jim Ryan mentioned than people feel the best timeframe for PS5 games is 2 to 3 years later on PC.

So it seems maybe Hulst is leading the dumb PC charge and Jim Ryan is going with it and choosing the how long of a wait are the PC ports.

With a bunch of canceled gaas games, no PC port of a PlayStation game announced in awhile, and no TLOU2 PC port, let’s hope Sony came to their senses finally.
it all adds up because you're both conspiracy nuts selecting evidence you think boosts your case.

Jim Ryan's predecessor Shawn Layden told ArsTechnica that HE was one of "a number of people" interested in putting Sony games on PC prior to 10/2019. He told the interviewer "there's no losing in this transaction".

There isn't an Xbox mole in Playstation trying to sabotage the brand by supporting PC. A NUMBER OF PLAYSTATION EXECS want to sell their games on PC because it is free money with no downside.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
None of this is true.

Of course it isn't. Dude is being full clown mode these days just to cap for Steam & PC, sometimes I genuinely don't get it.

The entire history of console development involves the use of console-derived devkits to optimize the performance profile for the target hardware, the console. Certain systems are initially coded on PCs (or before that, microcomputers), but the optimizations are done on devkits based on the console hardware or, if not final, generic hardware configured to simulate performance and certain features of the final hardware.

But to PC diehards, everything is centered on the PC.

Also can we take a moment to realize what a monumental screw-up this situation presents? The audience that provide only a fraction of 1P sales revenue, and has been buying recent ports at significantly lower rates, that shields a community of hackers who've extracted personal data for blackmail/extortion, spoiled the plot to numerous 1P releases in the past (TLOU2)...are getting a playable build of Wolverine before your core console audience.

It's the ultimate slap in the face to enthusiast PlayStation owners, even excusing the unfortunate circumstances this has all come about. All right before Christmas. But it wouldn't have gotten to this point if a PC build weren't being fully developed at the same time as a console version. Would also explain why the release date is further out than many of us assumed (2024/2025).

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
it all adds up because you're both conspiracy nuts selecting evidence you think boosts your case.

Jim Ryan's predecessor Shawn Layden told ArsTechnica that HE was one of "a number of people" interested in putting Sony games on PC prior to 10/2019. He told the interviewer "there's no losing in this transaction".

There isn't an Xbox mole in Playstation trying to sabotage the brand by supporting PC. A NUMBER OF PLAYSTATION EXECS want to sell their games on PC because it is free money with no downside.
Free money. WTF? Are you 5? Stop writing moronic comments.

Reactions: Diah

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
I did? Why start working on it before the Ps5 version when it wont come out until years after the Ps5 version? I thought the whole point of delayed releases is so that they dont interfere with making the console versions. Its stupid of them to do both at the same time. No wonder Ps games this gen have been less polished than last gen.
How is that stupid? Every 3rd party developer does the exact same thing. They work on the games concurrently.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
You have no idea how development works.
Bruh. Insomniac uses real life actors for their motion captures in their games. This is well known. Also you’re the one that was coping saying the story script is not final, when it most likely is. The only thing I agree with you is about the voice acting. Wolverine will look like Liam when the game drops, it is what it is. You can bookmark this, and come back to it in 3 years.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Just my 2 cents in something here...

It doesn't matter if the game has a PC release or not.
Hackers got the hands on the source code of the game made in a PC (all games are made in a PC including PlayStation first-parties) and that should happen no matter if a PC version exists or not.

We are in the same logic here? All games are create on PC.
When we blame the PC strategy and the thinking of developers makes games with PC in mind that means games will have common code path that runs good on PS5 and PC... and that is harm to PS5 because he should be using a code path best for PS5 even if it runs slow in PC.

They should not care if the PS5 code path should give them more working time / trouble to optimize to PC later.

But the game will always run on PC because it was created there.
So Sony PC strategy has no point here.
People here really are slow. Lol All games are made for PC first then optimized for consoles. GTA 6 was developed on PC first, even though it’s coming to console first.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Diah and ethomaz

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Every videogame in the existence of universe were made on pc shocking

If those people are happy to play a current potato/ cucumber version of wolverine on pc let em be

I personally wouldnt want to spoil myself to play the game on that state

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bruh. Insomniac uses real life actors for their motion captures in their games. This is well known. Also you’re the one that was coping saying the story script is not final, when it most likely is. The only thing I agree with you is about the voice acting. Wolverine will look like Liam when the game drops, it is what it is. You can bookmark this, and come back to it in 3 years.
Ok, let me try and explain:
  1. The script may or may not be final, but the performances most certainly are not, because the game is in pre-alpha
  2. I never said Wolverine won't look like Liam, I said that his appearence is not final, because the game is in pre-alpha
  3. We know PS Studios use real actors for motion capture. GoW is the same, TLOU is the same. What you're seeing though is not final, because the game is in pre-alpha

Reactions: Umar

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If every game is made for PC first why was it so hard to make PS4/PS5 version of games stuck on PS3? :unsure:

Why so many PC ports are fucked up?

Reactions: Diah and Umar

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
That’s not a good thing at all.

People with common sense were warning that PS5 games would be affected badly. The PS5 hardware would not be fully utilized because first party will have to worry about the different configurations of PC hardware. There are PC users still using HDD’s. Sony developers are not going to use PS5 SSD the way it can be used because they now have to take into account HDD’s. Which if fucking backwards and makes no sense to invest all that custom hardware into the SSD that’s now going to waste.
That may be true about the SSD but the games are GPU-limited in the consoles anyway, so it's moot. Games this generation aren't really using the SSD + hardware decompression.

They were happily mentioning that they have to deal with slwer PC hardware so they designed their engine around that now. That they didn’t have to do that since making games on PS2.
That is certainly true for hardware that's less powerful than the PS5. However, there are a lot of PCs with hardware that's many times more powerful than the PS5, so it's a 50/50 split there. Most of the PC ports we see are reviewed based on ultra settings and high resolution which offer a significant gap between the PS and PC.

I think the games can still design around a high-end PC and then scale down to the low-end PC hardware. That would make more sense to me.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Exact quote from 5 year old Shawn Layden, former CEO of Playstation:
"There's no losing in this transaction"

“There is practically no chance communications space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television, or radio service inside the United States.”

- Tunis Craven, FCC, 1964

Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
wait, is this the entire game from start to finish or just a demo-size leak?
two vertical slices, meaning short demos with the features expected for these areas of the game to see how mechanics, artstyle etc of that portion work when put together, and to use it as reference and as verifiction before similar ones for the rest of the game.

Obviously with a ton of unfinished, unpolished, unoptimized stuff because the game wasn't even in alpha.

Serves Sony right.

They put PC gamers on par with Playstation gamers.

Enjoy the burn.

This wouldn’t happen in the PS1, PS2 and PS3 days cause games were made solely for those hardware.
But this does present the perfect opportunity for Sony to end PC ports once and for all.
A get getting leaked including a couple playable vertical slices has nothing to do with PC ports.

PS1, PS2, PS3 requiring devkits for everything was one of the reasons of why consoles moved to PC-like hardware: to allow devs test the game on their own PC while they are doing it even for console only games (as the case of this leaked build), while also reducing the amount of devkits needed to develop and test a game, making it more appoachable by indies.

I think there is a high probability that the Game will be canceled.
There are many reasons to cancel a game, getting leaked isn't one of them.

Last edited: