Gaming commentator @JapanHatesXbox sheds light on Xbox’s parity clause with Sega

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
IMO I just think Sony needs new exclusives on their console to make up for what games go multiplat. Which they already have in the case of Persona to some extent, with Grandblue Fantasy Re:link. Devil May Cry? Stellar Blade. MGS? Physint.

It's more about not having any gaps in that regard when it comes to exclusive offerings on the console, but it's always preferable if those are 1P games or IP owned by Sony themselves. Generally works out better for them, the devs, and gamers.
Im super happy with Physint. I just think the likes of Kojima and Miyazaki cant be replaced.
I also want Persona 6 because its taken years for Persona to get the game it deserves.

PS needs an exclusive popular fighter too, make there own or get a 3rd party. Same with an open world racer (motorstorm or GT) and a kart racer. Modnation was great, they should make use of there IP characters now that they are more popular.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Buy SEGA and ATLUS, open the region locks and backwards compatability vaults. Once they own them, nullify the old management's contract agreement with MS. MS did it to Sony, such as turning Starfield, Indian Jones and more into PC/XB exclusives away from PS, so that kind of thing can be done by Sony Too, I assume?
Id love that

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Just an FYI, when MLB went multi-plat, Sony secured multiple multi-year deals with MLB for things outside of gaming. Hawk-eye innovations, Sony camera tech used in all MLB stadiums, deeper Statcast integration with more accurate data and metrics. Also Hawkeye is the company that manages the S.M.A.R.T. Video replay which has been in use since 2014 season.

While MLB the show is always discussed as “MLB pressuring Sony, Sony bent the knee blah blah blah”, Sony provides CORE features to MLB that are vital to their business, they didn’t get shafted on the game going multi-plat deal, IMO, they positioned themselves to be even more vital to MLB outside of video games.
I didn’t know about that but it really doesn’t matter, I’m positive Sony could’ve got those same deals without jeopardizing and devaluing their own game. And if they couldn’t, then that means they were incompetent.

Did the MLB really say “Hey let us put The Show on a competing dying console and on a subscription service that cannibalizes sales and we’ll give you all this other business”….What kind of proposition is that?!?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja1187

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yeah that's exactly what FIFA probably thought too.
That's not really comparable.

FIFA only really had the fifa branding they took with them, not much value on it's own really. Leageue/Team license EA still have as FIFA don't have any ownership of that.

Whilst MLB would take everything with them, leageue/team licenses far more valuable.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Yes they would be worried, the MLB has been on a steep decline, they need the money a lot more than Sony does. Even if they went to EA or Take2 and poached all the devs, the game uses a proprietary engine that Sony owns. So they’d have to start completely from scratch.
I highly doubt EA be worried about that at all. EA have expertise in developing sports games, reusing their engines or even making a new one for MLB won't be that hard.

MLB will be looking at the future here, yes it would cause short term disruption, however the future growth would be bigger.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Sega having the deal is ok. Sega don't offer much game wise. Yakuza got ruined the minute they dealt with Xbox. Doing double the work for less returns. Less sales. Certain IP's took negative hits Sega doing those deal.sabotaged themselves long term imo.

People dont understand or underestimate brand names. The very reason it's MS publishing the games on PS. No Xbox brand can be seen on any PS product.

PS already maximised the usage from Sega. They don't drop fire games like that anymore.They wont drop new IP because of financial risk involved. It really has to be quality game at the least. PS seem to be only people happy to fund new IP. That's why they get the exclusive deals along with production, marketing,roll out.So most these old studios are doing remakes/remasters.

Only PS,Tencent & indie guys are making new IP really.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Buy SEGA and ATLUS, open the region locks and backwards compatability vaults. Once they own them, nullify the old management's contract agreement with MS. MS did it to Sony, such as turning Starfield, Indian Jones and more into PC/XB exclusives away from PS, so that kind of thing can be done by Sony Too, I assume?
Well yeah i'm sure they can do it, i mean alot of us on here have been shouting for ages for sony to buy big publishers.

Personally i would love to see sony take ATLUS from sega, and leave sega to rot.

• Shake
Reactions: Umar and PS_ROCKS
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I highly doubt EA be worried about that at all. EA have expertise in developing sports games, reusing their engines or even making a new one for MLB won't be that hard.

MLB will be looking at the future here, yes it would cause short term disruption, however the future growth would be bigger.
No, I said MLB is worried, not EA, responding to you saying that MLB wouldn’t be worried.

Sega having the deal is ok. Sega don't offer much game wise. Yakuza got ruined the minute they dealt with Xbox. Doing double the work for less returns. Less sales. Certain IP's took negative hits Sega doing those deal.sabotaged themselves long term imo.

People dont understand or underestimate brand names. The very reason it's MS publishing the games on PS. No Xbox brand can be seen on any PS product.

PS already maximised the usage from Sega. They don't drop fire games like that anymore.They wont drop new IP because of financial risk involved. It really has to be quality game at the least. PS seem to be only people happy to fund new IP. That's why they get the exclusive deals along with production, marketing,roll out.So most these old studios are doing remakes/remasters.

Only PS,Tencent & indie guys are making new IP really.
You’re usually spot on bro, but this time you’re wrong. All of the Yakuza and Judgment games have been amazing, P3 Reload is fire, and Metaphor looks amazing too. Like a Dragon Gaiden was my GOTY last year, and Infinite Wealth might be my GOTY this year!

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
No, I said MLB is worried, not EA, responding to you saying that MLB wouldn’t be worried.
The 2 biggest worries for MLB will be short term though. EA will be more then capable of taking over, and yeah there will be some financial impact due to disruption of finding a new dev, but as i said in my previous comment they will be looking at bigger growth.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sega must have gotten something interesting to them in return, otherwise they would not have taken the offer.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
IMO I just think Sony needs new exclusives on their console to make up for what games go multiplat. Which they already have in the case of Persona to some extent, with Grandblue Fantasy Re:link. Devil May Cry? Stellar Blade. MGS? Physint.

It's more about not having any gaps in that regard when it comes to exclusive offerings on the console, but it's always preferable if those are 1P games or IP owned by Sony themselves. Generally works out better for them, the devs, and gamers.

It is SEGA's choice, but if any of the Super Game projects do the same thing, I'm just gonna play them in the service. The way I look at it, anyone buying the games on PS/Nintendo consoles when they're also Day 1 in Game Pass, are just subsidizing the subscription model for Microsoft, and helping to keep whatever costs they pay to SEGA for those deals lower.

A large part of why those 3P Day 1 Game Pass deals work is because they prey on non-Xbox customers offsetting things through B2P purchases on PlayStation and Nintendo systems.

Look up the history of Xdev, how it started as studio Liverpool and evolved throughout time becoming a bigger and bigger presence.

Second party games will become a bigger and bigger part of the strategy.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS
J

Joey Ravn

Microsoft and throwing money to outspend the competition out of business.

Name a more iconic duo.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I mean I'm sure there were some deals in place, we know that for a fact with persona 5 Sony got exclusivity and ff7 remake.

But alot of people are blaming Sony for alot more then just one game going to Xbox. Any game SE or sega game released on Xbox is blamed on Sony.

I have to wonder what people want Sony to do here? They want Sony to spend money to prevent every game going to Xbox? just sounds ridiculous.
People think they can just dictate to the entire industry who they can and can't work with and that's just not how it works. I think it comes from people on both sides believing the narrative that every Japanese game that skips Xbox is because of Sony making some kind of deal and that has never been the case. I think Sony need to keep making deals as much as possible where they can though but the idea of trying to force every 3rd party dev to act like Sony first party will never work.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
People think they can just dictate to the entire industry who they can and can't work with and that's just not how it works. I think it comes from people on both sides believing the narrative that every Japanese game that skips Xbox is because of Sony making some kind of deal and that has never been the case. I think Sony need to keep making deals as much as possible where they can though but the idea of trying to force every 3rd party dev to act like Sony first party will never work.
Nah, with all due respect, this is nothing but a cop out. So Sony was somehow able to secure all these deals when they had less market share, but now when they’re overwhelmingly dominating the competition, it’s no longer possible? How? 🤔

• thinking_hard
Reactions: AshHunter216

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Nah, with all due respect, this is nothing but a cop out. So Sony was somehow able to secure all these deals when they had less market share, but now when they’re overwhelmingly dominating the competition, it’s no longer possible? How? 🤔
What period are you taking about? If you mean PS3 era, the industry was a shit ton different then than it is now in multiple ways.

It's not a cop out to have the common sense to know that it's not possible to flip a switch and suddenly have things be like the PS2 era where everything was exclusive by default. I'm not even saying that they can't or won't have exclusive deals, I just think it's dumb to get all up in arms and have meltdowns over something like this. Also, it's not like Xbox is getting a bunch of exclusivity deals instead of PS, if anything they can't even keep their own first party games exclusive. The truth is that there's less deals to go around in general, but the biggest ones left, PlayStation still gets.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
What period are you taking about? If you mean PS3 era, the industry was a shit ton different then than it is now in multiple ways.

It's not a cop out to have the common sense to know that it's not possible to flip a switch and suddenly have things be like the PS2 era where everything was exclusive by default. I'm not even saying that they can't or won't have exclusive deals, I just think it's dumb to get all up in arms and have meltdowns over something like this. Also, it's not like Xbox is getting a bunch of exclusivity deals instead of PS, if anything they can't even keep their own first party games exclusive. The truth is that there's less deals to go around in general, but the biggest ones left, PlayStation still gets.
No I’m not talking about 10+ years ago, I’m talking about last gen. Before Jim/Hermen came into the picture. PS5 is outpacing PS4, Xbox Series consoles are selling worse than XB1, and GamePass has ruined Xbox game sales almost entirely. But for some reason, Xbox is able to curry a lot more favor with 3rd party partners this time around….. It has nothing to do with “the times changing” or anything like that, and has everything to do with Sonys current leadership being incompetent failures!

• thinking_hard
Reactions: AshHunter216
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Got sick and tired for waiting a shop here to get it so I just imported a copy.
I remember speaking to you about that. Have you received it yet?

Also side note, little things like Gaiden not getting a western physical release and Infinite Wealth having bs anti consumer DLC (new game+ and dungeons behind paywall) is also because of Sega’s partnership with Xbox 😡 This was unheard of before Xbox ports, because they need to make up that lost revenue elsewhere

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I remember speaking to you about that. Have you received it yet?

Also side note, little things like Gaiden not getting a western physical release and Infinite Wealth having bs anti consumer DLC (new game+ and dungeons behind paywall) is also because of Sega’s partnership with Xbox 😡 This was unheard of before Xbox ports, because they need to make up that lost revenue elsewhere
Just ordered 15 minutes ago. Gonna have to replay the first as well. Still not getting Gaiden until on deep sale or on PS Plus.