Ghost of Tsushima PC Directors Cut confirmed up on Steam, releases May 16. Rumor: Part 2 to be announced around May/June at a PS Showcase

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Here's a pretty informative story on how The Crew was developed and brought to PS4:

Practically all games are developed on PC to some degree even if it's not a release target, because all the tools are on PC. That said, we don't know how much prior PS4/PS5 games had work done on PC by the first party team. The Spiderman 2 leak is the best thing we have to go by. I don't think we've seen any hint of Naughty Dog having a PC build of Uncharted 4 (for example) prior to the actual port announcement.

You're not wrong that simultaneous development affects development, requires some extra resources, etc, but it is very small in the scope of a $100M+ AAA production. If the budget on a Nixxes porting job is $2-5M, we're talking like 1-2M extra to maintain a PC port from the inception of the project AND the resulting quality will be better. It's a hell of a lot harder to come in as a contractor/support team and get to grips with a code base you've never seen before.

In the ideal situation, whether day and date release or not, first party teams will maintain their own ports from the start. The value of Nixxes is more like how Bungie consults on live service projects across Playstation. They can provide all kinds of PC-related best practices the console-oriented teams haven't considered before. Issues like how to handle multi-monitor, or simultaneous keyboard/gamepad inputs, or graphics settings, etc. Nixxes shouldn't be the ones doing a full blown port after all the code/assets are finalized. They're good at it yeah, but it'll never get the best result.

So then the issue is: you've got a high quality, release-able product on day one. Do you sit on it for 5-6 years while it drops in value just to appease people on message boards? Of course you don't.
Stop trying to mislead people. Right now.

Regarding The Crew, the article is showing how the developers ported the game from their lead platform (PC) to PS4 using an adapter layer that introduces a runtime overhead on the PS4 version. A stop-gap solution provided by Sony to ease porting that, as one would expect, led to countless developers leaning on it as a crutch.
Not an example most conscious developers should follow.

Adding complexity to your codebase (such as by adding more target platforms) never increases code quality nor stability, quite the contrary, it makes the codebase more brittle and gives a greater likelihood of bugs.

I know these things, because I am a software engineer.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Stop trying to mislead people. Right now.

Regarding The Crew, the article is showing how the developers ported the game from their lead platform (PC) to PS4 using an adapter layer that introduces a runtime overhead on the PS4 version. A stop-gap solution provided by Sony to ease porting that, as one would expect, led to countless developers leaning on it as a crutch.
Not an example most conscious developers should follow.

Adding complexity to your codebase (such as by adding more target platforms) never increases code quality nor stability, quite the contrary, it makes the codebase more brittle and gives a greater likelihood of bugs.

I know these things, because I am a software engineer.

People saying otherwise never wrote a line of code themselves. When there is compatibility issues between modern browsers, even on some smaller but "standard" functionality, I laugh at people claiming how supporting PC additionally is easy.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yes I don't think people are forced in to stealing just because it's accessible. In fact, I know it's the case because I worked in loss prevention for many years. Many people can accessibly commit crimes, most people don't because they are conscientious and moral. People wouldn't just start violating the laws because they can because most people are principled. This is why I said it's bad faith to imply everyone is deceptive and secretely criminals when, looking at Steam for instance, hundreds of millions of people purchase PC games every day yet every single one of those users could hypothetically pirate them instead.

Anyway as GamerNyc has said I'm not here to bicker, I just find it disgusting people make these generalised claims with no validity to them.
Piracy = "Forced into stealing"?

Cheers Pirate GIF by Pirate's Parley

You are either being disingenuous or you just don't understand piracy at all. Most people that download a game or movie don't even see it as a crime (in many parts of the world it isn't even a crime), they just do it because they can. They can also come up with plenty of excuses to justify doing it, Denuvo puts a stop to all that, you need to buy the game to play, everybody wins (except pirates and pirates apologists like you).

Denuvo is the best thing that ever happened to single player games on PC and probably the only reason why most publishers now bother porting their single player AAA games to PC.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
also... no one can work on PS3 backwards compatibility, doesn't make any sense, does it?
True, to expect PS3 backwards compability in current PS5 hardware doesn't make any sense according to a PS3 Sony engine programmer and one of the main programmers of PS3 emulator for PC due to hardware limitations.

And well, one thing is to make an emulator to run an original game, and another one very different is to port an specific game, which is reprogramming a game to adapt it for another hardware as Nixxes does. As can be seen in multiple ports, remasters or remakes yes, PS3 can be ported to PS4 or PS5 but that requires a lot more work than to simply put a game in an emulator. Coders have to rebuild a substantial part of the game to achieve this.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
People saying otherwise never wrote a line of code themselves. When there is compatibility issues between modern browsers, even on some smaller but "standard" functionality, I laugh at people claiming how supporting PC additionally is easy.
Lol Im literally a software developer you scamps.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Lol Im literally a software developer you scamps.

Considering your lack of knowledge on how software development works, you probably got your degree the same way loads of people get their gamepass subscription: with a bag of doritos. I wouldn't be surprised considering you conflate terms like "pc" and "x86" as if they were one and the same.

That you're you're just very dishonest.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Considering your lack of knowledge on how software development works, you probably got your degree the same way loads of people get their gamepass subscription: with a bag of doritos. I wouldn't be surprised considering you conflate terms like "pc" and "x86" as if they were one and the same.

That you're you're just very dishonest.

I'm just an effective communicator, maybe we should talk about Ghost of Tsushima coming to PC.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm just an effective communicator, maybe we should talk about Ghost of Tsushima coming to PC.
GoT coming to PC or not has no bearing on what @Old Gamer said and what the user replying to him meant.

Edit: And you being an effective communicator has also no bearing on your knowledge, or lack thereof. You have shown that your knowledge of software development is pretty subpar, regardless of your claims of working the area being true or not.

Reactions: arvfab and JAHGamer

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
GoT coming to PC or not has no bearing on what @Old Gamer said and what the user replying to him meant.

Edit: And you being an effective communicator has also no bearing on your knowledge, or lack thereof. You have shown that your knowledge of software development is pretty subpar, regardless of your claims of working the area being true or not.

i'll talk about registers when its relevant. it wasn't.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Unsurprisingly, that’s prompted a lot of pre-orders on Steam, where at the time of typing it’s the 13th best-selling title on the store front – ahead of releases like Elden Ring, Street Fighter 6, and even the one-time phenomenon Palworld. We’d expect this one to do extremely well.

It’s probably worth mentioning that Nixxes is on porting duties here, so you can likely expect an excellent experience. The title will take advantage of all the latest graphics card bells and whistles, and will support ultrawide monitors and even resolutions of up to 48:9 for those of you with triple monitor setups. Despite being a few years old now, this game is going to look absolutely incredible on high-end computers, there’s no doubt about that.

[source store.steampowered.com]

Source

• party
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Again, x86 is an architecture, PC is personal computer. You posting a random link with no context has no bearing on that fact, and the fact that you are wrong. but it's ok, we all take your expertise as our resident doritos software developer, soon to be getting his masters in Pringles.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Again, x86 is an architecture, PC is personal computer. You posting a random link with no context has no bearing on that fact, and the fact that you are wrong. but it's ok, we all take your expertise as our resident doritos software developer, soon to be getting his masters in Pringles.
From the first paragraph of the article:

Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-3-36-46-PM.png

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Piracy = "Forced into stealing"?

Cheers Pirate GIF by Pirate's Parley's Parley

You are either being disingenuous or you just don't understand piracy at all. Most people that download a game or movie don't even see it as a crime (in many parts of the world it isn't even a crime), they just do it because they can. They can also come up with plenty of excuses to justify doing it, Denuvo puts a stop to all that, you need to buy the game to play, everybody wins (except pirates and pirates apologists like you).

Denuvo is the best thing that ever happened to single player games on PC and probably the only reason why most publishers now bother porting their single player AAA games to PC.
No, you are completely missing the point. People don't just "do it because they can." Completely made up reality. Are you from a 3rd world country? That's the only way you could think this is normal, if so don't project issues of your country on to all consumers.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
No, you are completely missing the point. People don't just "do it because they can." Completely made up reality. Are you from a 3rd world country? That's the only way you could think this is normal, if so don't project issues of your country on to all consumers.
I'm from the US, Los Angeles, California, and he's completely right. You are very naive if you dont think thats not the case WORLD WIDE. I really can't even believe you think like that.