God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party launch game in PlayStation history!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party launch game in PlayStation history

FiQVOotaYAE85fx

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Congrats.

I was updating the sales in EU countries and several had Ragnarok over Elden Ring comparing launch alone.
It is still behind CoD, FIFA and Pokemon.

Talking about physical only it did 145k in UK and 90k in Spain at launch... it was amazing.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
5.1 million at around 60 bucks a pop (not including special editions and stuff) would be around 300 million dollars. Most of that pure profit id assume with download percentages being like what, 60-70 percent now?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Was about to post this. Great fucking news! I'm glad, so they keep investing in this ip. Well deserved.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Theap99

Banned
21 Jun 2022
I'm a little confused. The photo says 5.1 million through it's debut week. That's 7 days. Other previous records like TLOU2 were opening weekend (3 day numbers).

So, did it only beat the opening weeks of these games and not the opening weekend?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm a little confused. The photo says 5.1 million through it's debut week. That's 7 days. Other previous records like TLOU2 were opening weekend (3 day numbers).

So, did it only beat the opening weeks of these games and not the opening weekend?
It is 4 days actually.
Debut week mean the week it launched but it was in the middle of the week.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Damn, over 5m.

Big boy shit.

I guess single-player games are still in vogue.
That narrative been killed since Last half of PS3 days. Since then, most heavy hitting ps sp games sell 10 mil plus. Been like that for years. It is what allowed PS to dominate and pivot forward since

24 Jun 2022
5.1 million in four days for a game only available on two platforms (and where the majority of copies were for the more expensive version on the current-gen platform) is insanely good. Just a really good sign of the faith and value people place into Sony's marquee 1P epics. I can see it hitting 10 million by the end of the year at this rate.

I shall be joining you soon in the festivities, my brethren.

That narrative been killed since Last half of PS3 days. Since then, most heavy hitting ps sp games sell 10 mil plus. Been like that for years. It is what allowed PS to dominate and pivot forward since

I think when people talk about SP games struggling to perform, they probably mean anything that isn't the big Sony/Nintendo/Rockstar titles. Which is kind of fair; Plague Tale: Requiem is a SP game in its own right but is selling nowhere near as strongly as GOW Ragnarok or Scarlet & Violet.

However, the benefit of those SP Sony/Nintendo/Rockstar games is the prestige they've built up and earned over years, even decades, of constantly building up and curating dedicated fanbases, and successfully expanding their fanbases and ingraining themselves into the cultural mainstream mindshare & conversation.

Not just that, but those SP Sony/Nintendo/Rockstar games also are very good at maintaining and increasing quality and helping pushing aspects of gaming forward when it comes to the game design, production values, storytelling, visuals etc. (although Scarlet & Violet is a technical disaster in terms of performance).

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I hope this breaks all their records. I totally think this is the very best game Sony has ever put their name on.

I would be terribly disappointed if something Marvel branded stays on top. Fuck that noise.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
Status
Not open for further replies.