God Of War Ragnarok is PS worst AAA performing PC port only cracking a peak of below 30K (Mega Flop)

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Man having a core dedicated team of 100 people working on backwards compatibility of ps 3 would give better returns, Its not that the ps3 remasters will take a lot of money compared the ps4 ones, its just pure laziness as those remasters will take more time compared to shitting out low hanging fruits like borizon and days gone remasters.

And herman has to go, its not even the GaaS games like concord, the fucker is pushing Horizon as if its fucking Mario. These idiots are remastering and remaking the games as if its given that the TV shows will be a hit. This gen if it goes according to plan we will see 4 horizon games, a remaster and a vr game. There is milking and then there is Hulst doing this skulduggery and pushing this shit

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Steam users killed Concord.
Now they will try to kill others PS games.

The self appointed paladins of gaming/backbone of the gaming industry didn't like Concord either. You say PC gamers convinced Sony gamers into dropping the game?

There are lots of online games with rocky launches on PC and bad reviews. None of them was deleted after 2 weeks.

Something else happened with Concord.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Man having a core dedicated team of 100 people working on backwards compatibility of ps 3 would give better returns, Its not that the ps3 remasters will take a lot of money compared the ps4 ones, its just pure laziness as those remasters will take more time compared to shitting out low hanging fruits like borizon and days gone remasters.

And herman has to go, its not even the GaaS games like concord, the fucker is pushing Horizon as if its fucking Mario. These idiots are remastering and remaking the games as if its given that the TV shows will be a hit. This gen if it goes according to plan we will see 4 horizon games, a remaster and a vr game. There is milking and then there is Hulst doing this skulduggery and pushing this shit
I agree, Horizon is not nearly as great as Herman wants to pretend it is. I don't understand the purpose of remastering Zero Dawn like he wants to do right now. Horizon is 100% not the face of PlayStation, if I think of PlayStation, I think of Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Cole from Infamous, Killzone, R&C, or J&D. Never have I ever thought of Aloy.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
The self appointed paladins of gaming/backbone of the gaming industry didn't like Concord either. You say PC gamers convinced Sony gamers into dropping the game?

There are lots of online games with rocky launches on PC and bad reviews. None of them was deleted after 2 weeks.

shit idk The Day Before got nuked pretty quickly. :ROFLMAO:

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
God of war and titles of its ilk like Ghost of Tsushima are evergreen titles. I think they honestly picked a poor time to release it.

September is packed and literally October is even more packed.

Remember 2018 god of war released in January a dead month in terms of release. Also they were not forcing PSN sign in or had any bad press from another release the same year. I think steams reaction to recent releases like Helldivers 2, and September being insane didn’t help it.

I mean ghost literally almost or did break god of war record on steam. And you had to have psn for online portion.

I think it will get a second wind. After October going into winter break.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Shogun gave Tsushima a mega bump with pop culture bonus points helping it out. I believe it gave Ronin a rub too.

Reactions: Bryank75

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
1 - Virtually no marketing for the port.

2 - PSN validation required for a single player game led to mass negative reviews.

These are pretty flimsy arguments. No PC port had big marketing, and yet most of them did better. Where did Ghost of Tsushima have more marketing? And what kind of marketing does one of the biggest and most successful Playstation titles need to be successful on PC? What kind of marketing did this "Banana" game and Palworld have that more people played them? Doesn't Helldivers 2 currently have more CCU than GoW? Are you trying to tell me that PC players notice when Helldivers 2 gets a big update, but when a PS5 hit comes out, no one notices? The PC launch trailer has at least over 250,000 clicks, and thus over 100,000 more clicks after just 3 days than the PC launch trailer for Ghost of Tsushima, which had more CCU.

For this reason, the PSN account argument doesn't work either, otherwise Ghost of Tsushima would have had similarly few players, and the fact that a PSN account was needed for the single player campaign would also be criticized. My theory is that many people bought GoW and HZD, but in the end they didn't like the games that much or didn't have the hardware needed to play GoW Ragnarök in better quality than on PS5. God of War was the port of a PS4 title, which is why it didn't have such high hardware requirements. It's also possible that after the PSN account debacle with Helldivers 2, some people are boycotting Sony games or simply pirating them.

Things will get interesting with Until Dawn and Lego Horizon. Lego Horizon is new and is launching Day 1 on PS5, PC and Switch. Let's see when another argument from PC fans will be debunked, that expensive ports of "old" PS5 games run worse than new titles that run Day 1. Anything under 100,000 CCU would be pretty weak, anything under 50,000 CCU would be a debacle, after all we're talking about a Lego game that appeals to families and is sold cheaper than most AAA games.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
These are pretty flimsy arguments. No PC port had big marketing, and yet most of them did better. Where did Ghost of Tsushima have more marketing? And what kind of marketing does one of the biggest and most successful Playstation titles need to be successful on PC? What kind of marketing did this "Banana" game and Palworld have that more people played them? Doesn't Helldivers 2 currently have more CCU than GoW? Are you trying to tell me that PC players notice when Helldivers 2 gets a big update, but when a PS5 hit comes out, no one notices? The PC launch trailer has at least over 250,000 clicks, and thus over 100,000 more clicks after just 3 days than the PC launch trailer for Ghost of Tsushima, which had more CCU.

For this reason, the PSN account argument doesn't work either, otherwise Ghost of Tsushima would have had similarly few players, and the fact that a PSN account was needed for the single player campaign would also be criticized. My theory is that many people bought GoW and HZD, but in the end they didn't like the games that much or didn't have the hardware needed to play GoW Ragnarök in better quality than on PS5. God of War was the port of a PS4 title, which is why it didn't have such high hardware requirements. It's also possible that after the PSN account debacle with Helldivers 2, some people are boycotting Sony games or simply pirating them.

Things will get interesting with Until Dawn and Lego Horizon. Lego Horizon is new and is launching Day 1 on PS5, PC and Switch. Let's see when another argument from PC fans will be debunked, that expensive ports of "old" PS5 games run worse than new titles that run Day 1. Anything under 100,000 CCU would be pretty weak, anything under 50,000 CCU would be a debacle, after all we're talking about a Lego game that appeals to families and is sold cheaper than most AAA games.
Apologies, long post ahead

1. Ghost of Tsushima has been talked about in PC gaming circles for literal years up to the release of it, and it only got louder and louder when the NVIDIA leaks happened and Ghost of Tsushima had been on that list, and then as more games from the leak were ported, there was more hype for it. Last I checked, I don't think anyone was nearly as hyped for GoW or its sequel as they were Ghost of Tsushima. Sony has a problem with marketing their PC ports and I feel like it is so they don't have to pay for marketing, making profiting from ports even easier than it already is.

2. Banana got no marketing, it was a joke game, but people found out you could make IRL money by selling the inventory items, so MANY people ran auto clickers trying to farm inventory items, Banana's FREE TO PLAY "success" was a money-making scheme.

3. Palworld had more marketing then you could ever believe, especially when it was pushed at Xbox Games Showcase and then at Summer Games Fest (could be the reverse order)

4. PC players will notice when it gets a big update because it literally says there is an update for Helldivers 2 in their library with patch notes right in front of your face for you to click and read. They will not notice a game being released without marketing or massive hype that somehow lasted years and years telling them a game is coming.

5. views are not unique I can go and click a video 100 times and it will count it as 100 views, and bots do count for views. (not intentional botting, rather bots finding the video) [not saying all views are bots]

6. "the fact that a PSN account was needed for the single player campaign would also be criticized." This is not true, a PSN account was only needed for the online portion of the game and was not required for you to play the campaign of the game.

7. I don't think anyone really cares about Lego Horizon, I know I don't, I know my friends don't, I haven't seen any hype for it on Twitter or Youtube and I know some people on this very forum couldn't care less about it, but I could just be in the wrong circles. Until Dawn may be the only one that does well and even then, I severely doubt it, anyone who really wanted to play that game already would have got a console for it years ago instead of waiting and hoping for a port that makes zero logistical sense.​

Reactions: Bryank75

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
the error was a bug, not a limitation of the hardware. You can actually play it on 4GB cards (fixed now officially)

and where do you see "they" have 4GB cards? Is it something you made up? Do you know what every PC gamer has or something? Even the Steam Hardware Survey isn't a good indicator because it's opt-in, not opt-out.
Who was raging on the internet if they didn't have 4GB cards?

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Who was raging on the internet if they didn't have 4GB cards?
I was referring to you painting as if the majority of PC users had 4GB cards. You used "they" to refer to the entirety of PC's user base and not just the ones who had less than 6GB, which btw, can play the game, weird bug.

Port was done by 4 people though, they did great.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I said sad Steam users pushed a huge narrative everywhere that the game was a flop way before release.

Even these that where interested in play the game didn’t because it was already a flop months before release.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I was referring to you painting as if the majority of PC users had 4GB cards. You used "they" to refer to the entirety of PC's user base and not just the ones who had less than 6GB, which btw, can play the game, weird bug.

Port was done by 4 people though, they did great.
But the news suggests that a huge portion of the prestigious PCMR have 4GB GPUs.

You PCMR won. I even recommend Sony to go after xbox Gamepass. The same 4 people can port the game for alot of money. Why not?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
the error was a bug, not a limitation of the hardware. You can actually play it on 4GB cards (fixed now officially)

and where do you see "they" have 4GB cards? Is it something you made up? Do you know what every PC gamer has or something? Even the Steam Hardware Survey isn't a good indicator because it's opt-in, not opt-out.
It was not a bug.

And 4GB is not officially supported.

The message is still there and just that the game now allow you run it at your risk.

Should be fun if with 4GB player progress in the game and there are parts that it crash 😂

Ohhh it is already happening…

BOOM!!!

• haha
  • Informative
Reactions: Umar and Exicide

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Need some thread consolidation here…

Ballpark sales probably 50-70k for launch week.

(I had no idea this port or FF was even coming out till I saw the outrage here)

FF16 also set a new peak.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Apologies, long post ahead

1. Ghost of Tsushima has been talked about in PC gaming circles for literal years up to the release of it, and it only got louder and louder when the NVIDIA leaks happened and Ghost of Tsushima had been on that list, and then as more games from the leak were ported, there was more hype for it. Last I checked, I don't think anyone was nearly as hyped for GoW or its sequel as they were Ghost of Tsushima. Sony has a problem with marketing their PC ports and I feel like it is so they don't have to pay for marketing, making profiting from ports even easier than it already is.

2. Banana got no marketing, it was a joke game, but people found out you could make IRL money by selling the inventory items, so MANY people ran auto clickers trying to farm inventory items, Banana's FREE TO PLAY "success" was a money-making scheme.

3. Palworld had more marketing then you could ever believe, especially when it was pushed at Xbox Games Showcase and then at Summer Games Fest (could be the reverse order)

4. PC players will notice when it gets a big update because it literally says there is an update for Helldivers 2 in their library with patch notes right in front of your face for you to click and read. They will not notice a game being released without marketing or massive hype that somehow lasted years and years telling them a game is coming.

5. views are not unique I can go and click a video 100 times and it will count it as 100 views, and bots do count for views. (not intentional botting, rather bots finding the video) [not saying all views are bots]

6. "the fact that a PSN account was needed for the single player campaign would also be criticized." This is not true, a PSN account was only needed for the online portion of the game and was not required for you to play the campaign of the game.

7. I don't think anyone really cares about Lego Horizon, I know I don't, I know my friends don't, I haven't seen any hype for it on Twitter or Youtube and I know some people on this very forum couldn't care less about it, but I could just be in the wrong circles. Until Dawn may be the only one that does well and even then, I severely doubt it, anyone who really wanted to play that game already would have got a console for it years ago instead of waiting and hoping for a port that makes zero logistical sense.​

I didn't know that only the multiplayer mode of GoT required a PSN account. But that means that it still wasn't sold where PSN doesn't exist, right?

Why some leaks, which not everyone hears about, should be a reason for more hype is just as unclear to me as clicking on trailers multiple times. The thing was nominated for GOTY again, so every PC gamer will have noticed it. A lot of things were leaked in the Nvidia leak in particular, such as FF Tactics, FF9 Remake or GT7 Port, which have not yet been announced. And since GoW Ragnarök is a sequel and continues the story, it led to significantly more anticipation, hype and sales figures, at least among Playstation fans, than a new IP like Ghost of Tsushima. In my opinion it was pushed by a lot of LoU2 haters and, for example, voted highly as a community GOTY in the TGA.

Maybe I'm just looking at this from the perspective of a console gamer. I'm aware that PC gamers have completely different tastes and think differently. Nevertheless, I still find it hard to understand how one of the biggest PS5 titles is almost ignored there. Anyone who knows a bit about games knows the title, the trailer has been seen countless times.

I'm aware that there's hardly any hype about Lego Horizon, hence my point that it will score points primarily as a family game. It also depends on the price, but PC gamers always say that day 1 games from Sony are guaranteed to sell better on PC than ports. If Lego Horizon gets good ratings of 80+, looks better on PC than on PS5 and costs a maximum of $60, I see no reason why it shouldn't reach 100,000 CCU when worse titles are always "surprise hits" on Steam.

Sea of Thieves also goes against all this hype and marketing argument. The game was never announced with an official trailer for Playstation, but some people still saw the announcement, which made it a huge success on Playstation. Without much hype, without much marketing. It's hard to imagine that PC gamers would need a lot of marketing or hype to buy Ragnarök. My theories still stand, either a boycott, many didn't like the predecessor, or it was pirated. HFW was also quickly "removed of copy protection", which was obviously reflected in the numbers. I don't know how it was with Ghost of Tsushima.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, we'll have to wait for official numbers in business reports to find out whether the ports flopped. But Until Dawn and Lego Horizon on PS5 certainly won't be huge hits either.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
2 years that could’ve been put into older PS games brought & ported to modern PS consoles with either a remaster or remake.

inFAMOUS 1&2 remake
GOW 1-3 trilogy remake
Ratchet & Clank trilogy remake that are stuck on PS3
Resistance remake
Ape escape trilogy remake
Wild arms trilogy remake

I mean I can keep going. All of those can be sold at $70 bolstering & helping it sell PS5 to existing & a new audience. Taking 100% of the profits seeking all the growth & helping PS become more competitive against Nintendo/Steam. More games to promote = more PS hardware promotional trailers (target new consumers by diversifying PS output/lineup)
FOUR PEOPLE MADE THIS PORT
FOUR
F
O
U
R

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
PC gamers OVERWHELMINGLY prefer multiplayer.

PlayStation knows the audience demographics and will make future games accordingly.