GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't understand the online complaint. You're going to download it from Steam and then unplug from the internet and go underwater to play it? You have to be online anyway 🤷‍♂️

How?

If you need to have your game authenticated to PSN no matter what hackers do Sony can block it because hackers doesn’t have access to Sony’s servers.

Without authentic with Sony servers you can’t play.
But the hackers are just going to strip out the launcher and torrent that version. You think it's impossible for them to take it out 😅

Reactions: arvfab

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
eJCv3nF.jpeg

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ubisoft does it for just about all their games, even installing a lite version of the UPlay launcher much to my annoyance.
The rest it varies by game, but *generally* its not a requirement? I think MS requires a Microsoft account for their Halo titles tho
Though it depends on what you mean by large publisher
I know Sega, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo all don't require that and I'd consider them large publishers, but I mean, they're obviously not the juggernauts Sony and MS are

Huh? I remember being asked to account link several bamco/capcom games

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How?

If you need to have your game authenticated to PSN no matter what hackers do Sony can block it because hackers doesn’t have access to Sony’s servers.

Without authentic with Sony servers you can’t play.
I'm sorry but you have no idea how this works. Account requirements in pirated games are usually easily bypassed, denuvo is what is harder (there's only 2 or 3 people in the world that know how and they only crack the games they want).

These games will likely be pirated within minutes or hours of release.

Reactions: arvfab

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Agree. These entitled lot don’t deserve Sony games.

Funnily enough, they worship Valve and are willing to do anything for them even though Valve produces fuck all.
PC fanboys are basically more hardcore entitled Xbox cultists.

Reactions: Diah

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
PC fanboys are basically more hardcore entitled Xbox cultists.
I would disagree, “Hardcore PC fans” existed long before the XBOX appeared. Not so long ago, when the X360 was really successful and had exclusive games, PC fans hated the XBOX almost as much as they hated the PlayStation.

The migration of rabid fans from XBOX to PC did not affect the situation much, and it is also worth noting that a significant part of active X360 buyers and fans joined the ranks of PS during the PS4 generation.

But despite everything, PC gaming is now in a hole, genres such as RTS, RPG\CRPG, tactics, for which even console players would like to have a PC, are for some reason dead or in a terrible state, everything is filled with F2P, GaaS and indie scum. And now Sony is trying to throw PS into this pit.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony isn't here to just port games to PC and act as 3rd party publisher. They want that whole cake.

see the recent pattern and extrapolate it: Steam/Epic ==> PSN required==> Playstation PC store==> overtake Steam and Epic==>Pay for PS+ to play Playstation online games.

Either that happens or they are out of PC.

Will they succeed? That's another discussion. I doubt they will, but the unpredictable could happen.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony isn't here to just port games to PC and act as 3rd party publisher. They want that whole cake.

see the recent pattern and extrapolate it: Steam/Epic ==> PSN required==> Playstation PC store==> overtake Steam and Epic==>Pay for PS+ to play Playstation online games.

Either that happens or they are out of PC.

Will they succeed? That's another discussion. I doubt they will, but the unpredictable could happen.
There's zero chance they will succeed charging for PSPlus on PC, at least to play online games like on Playstation. This actually reminds me that I should have gotten Helldivers 2 on PC, because with me not renewing PS Plus, I cannot play the game, whereas PC players can play it without a subscription. Live and learn!

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
There's zero chance they will succeed charging for PSPlus on PC, at least to play online games like on Playstation. This actually reminds me that I should have gotten Helldivers 2 on PC, because with me not renewing PS Plus, I cannot play the game, whereas PC players can play it without a subscription. Live and learn!
I told you I doubt they will succeed, but that's what they want.
I recommend PC gamers to not buy Sony's games. Let them fail on PC.

Reactions: Diah

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ms failed at charging PC gamers twice to use their own internet. And they own windows.What makes you guys think that Sony can? They only get away with that crap because console gamers let them.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony will going forward require for every PlayStation game released on Steam PSN verification. Sony will not bow down to cocky PCMR, it’s them who will bend the knee. If not, Sony will simply abandon PC.