GOW Ragnarok will require a PSN account to play (any of it) on PC

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony isn't here to just port games to PC and act as 3rd party publisher. They want that whole cake.

see the recent pattern and extrapolate it: Steam/Epic ==> PSN required==> Playstation PC store==> overtake Steam and Epic==>Pay for PS+ to play Playstation online games.

Either that happens or they are out of PC.

Will they succeed? That's another discussion. I doubt they will, but the unpredictable could happen.
Exactly my thoughts. I said a while ago something similar, but was treated like being delusional. Either the PC cucks will bend their knee or Sony will completely abandon PC.

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Huh? I remember being asked to account link several bamco/capcom games
Which ones? Capcom has the Resident Evil portal site that it asks about when you launch RE, but you can just say no/ignore it and never login or sign up. I have a decent library and none of my Capcom titles (Okami, DmC, Ace Attorney, every Resident Evil) require account linking. Just as well for my Bamco library (.hack//GU, multiple Tales Of game, multiple Naruto games, Digimon Story, every Dark Sou;s). What single player games do Bamco and Capcom require linking an account?
It is playable offline. From disc even. On PS5.
And what of the other platform the game was announced for that you can purchase and download the game on? If you purchase a game, you should be able to play it offline. Period. There are no reasonable exceptions to this from the end user perspective

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm sorry but you have no idea how this works. Account requirements in pirated games are usually easily bypassed, denuvo is what is harder (there's only 2 or 3 people in the world that know how and they only crack the games they want).

These games will likely be pirated within minutes or hours of release.
I’m not sure how to explain better…

If needs a sever side it won’t work without that server no matter what hackers do… of course you can’t play it offline either.

I think Sony can make all their games on PC with server side logic and so avoiding piracy.

It is even better than Denuvo.
All multiplayer online games do that… and most mobile games too… nobody can hack them unless they found a flaw in the server but that don’t allow to play the game offline just allow them to change some stats/data stored in the server (like give you money)… and that is easily blocked by a fix on server code… so hackers don’t even bother to find these flaws/opening.

Maybe costs a bit for Sony keep the servers online but it will avoid any type of piracy on PC.

You will ask why not do that on PS5? Because the platform itself is anti-piracy… so you don’t have that issue in PS5 games that can be offline like usual.

Now on PC the platform allow privacy then you counter it with games having part of the logic on server to work… an always online game.
People won’t like it but the platform needs that due the easy way to hack and cheat games.

It is a platform issue so you have to change how you put games there to avoid these issues.

That is my opinion.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If needs a sever side it won’t work without that server no matter what hackers do… of course you can’t play it offline either.
Most things nowadays need this and are cracked day one, including games. You can pirate the Adobe suite, which requires server side verification.

Please do not argue with me on this one, the only reason I don't provide you with proof it's because I refuse to share piracy websites, and I don't use them anyway

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Most things nowadays need this and are cracked day one, including games. You can pirate the Adobe suite, which requires server side verification.

Please do not argue with me on this one, the only reason I don't provide you with proof it's because I refuse to share piracy websites, and I don't use them anyway
Because it is authentication only.
Part of the app logic should be in the server side so there is no way to crack it… hackers can find openings that will be fixed in days on the server side but they won’t made any app like that run for a long period because the app can’t run without the server side.

Authentication in server alone you can trick the local app thinking it received the ok from a fake server 🤷‍♂️

I will give an example…

A shooter have most of the things in the local app but the hit collision is done by the server… without internet you can’t have the hit collision data and so you can’t shot things in the game.

No matter what hackers do… if they won’t have a way to make the game runs offline not matter what they do.

They can find a open in the server side allowing it to run the game for some days without pay for it but when the server opening is fixed it will be gone too.

If the Adobe app you are talking runs some of it logic in server side no matter what the hackers do it won’t run it offline without internet… without the Adobe server allow it.

Because the local app doesn’t have the full app… part of it is in Adobe servers.

It is different from just Authentication that you can fake it… the full app is already at your local so taking the authentication will make you use the app forever since you don’t update it (and I’m sure after you update a new hack tools will be released to the update).

No hack can make Destiny run offline.
Hackers can at most make Destiny cheats tricking the server to think you win even if you lose… but that is temporary trick until the server is fixed.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Because it is authentication only.
Part of the app logic should be in the server side so there is no way to crack it… hackers can find openings that will be fixed in days on the server side but they won’t made any app like that run for a long period because the app can’t run without the server side.

Authentication in server alone you can trick the local app thinking it received the ok from a fake server 🤷‍♂️

I will give an example…

A shooter have most of the things in the local app but the hit collision is done by the server… without internet you can’t have the hit collision data and so you can’t shot things in the game.

No matter what hackers do… if they won’t have a way to make the game runs offline not matter what they do.

They can find a open in the server side allowing it to run the game for some days without pay for it but when the server opening is fixed it will be gone too.

If the Adobe app you are talking runs some of it logic in server side no matter what the hackers do it won’t run it offline without internet… without the Adobe server allow it.

Because the local app doesn’t have the full app… part of it is in Adobe servers.

It is different from just Authentication that you can fake it… the full app is already at your local so taking the authentication will make you use the app forever since you don’t update it (and I’m sure after you update a new hack tools will be released to the update).

No hack can make Destiny run offline.
Hackers can at most make Destiny cheats tricking the server to think you win even if you lose… but that is temporary trick until the server is fixed.
But we're talking god of war, not destiny. And there's plenty of online games that have been cracked and you can / could even play them on official servers. I understand how the mechanics work, no need to explain. Thanks.

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Yknow the easiest way to find out if the game will be accessible to pirates is to wait until release day and see if it gets cracked instead of bickering about the technology involved

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Eh
It's a problem for anyone that wants to play it on PC. I mean, if I bought a game I would be pretty pissed if I couldn't play it offline. I paid for it after all, yknow?

I could play it on my console, but i only use my ps5 to play obscure last gen games like Witch and the Hundred Knight and Valkyria Revolution
I prefer playing on my PC primarily, but if I can't play it offline I'll just play something else. I don't need to play God of War, it's just kinda lame is all

Shadenfreude is fun and all but don't act like you wouldn't be bummed if a singleplayer ps5 exclusive required you to connect to the internet to play it
Maybe you buy it on PSN and then can play it offline?
On PS5 you log ino PSN, buy a game and then can play it offline

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
Maybe you buy it on PSN and then can play it offline?
On PS5 you log ino PSN, buy a game and then can play it offline
The Twitter account "DoesItPlay1" keeps track of a metric-ton of games, and found many (PS games) CAN be played offline.
There was a whole drama meltdown from Team Xbox, because they found out a majority of their games are locked by DRM.

Yeah, now I remember. It was around the whole CMOS battery "drama".

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Johnic and Kokoloko

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
But the hackers are just going to strip out the launcher and torrent that version. You think it's impossible for them to take it out 😅
If part of game logic in on the server and not local it indeed not possible to hackers strip out the full game to a torrent... unless they create their own missing game logic but that way it won't be the game released by Sony anymore.
And yes it requires the game to be always online because he needs to access that part of the game logic every time on servers but I believe it is fair implementation on PC to counter piracy.

• Shake
Reactions: Cool hand luke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Pc players are fine with ea, ubisoft, 2k, cod accounts but psn is were they draw the line.
Platform warring, pretty much. Sony is a platform owner, so they view them as a hostile entity to Steam. If a Bloodborne PC port happened, I guarentee most platform warriors will spend most of the discourse arguing about PSN login Sony will (rightfully) require.

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I hate being right all the time and I bet lono is too:

So wrong that Sony missed their sales estimates by 4.2M units and the PS5 is trailing (and will keep on trailing even further) PS4s sales.