GT7 is just trailing behind GT3 to become the biggest Gran Turismo ever in dollar sales, and the biggest game in the franchise.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
That doesn’t matter.

Circana has the data from how much you are paying on the game or the console in a bundle.

It is not free.

Sometimes the discount is not even in the game but the console.
The poster simply asked why GT3 sold so much compared to the others. I'm not trying to discredit the game. So yes it does matter, as the game was heavily bundled so it explains why it sold so much in North America compared to the others before and after it. It was the default game pack in for quite awhile in NA. It's not a knock against the game as it's a phenomenal game that reviewed well, and was a graphical showcase for the console. A literal system seller for it's time. So your comment doesn't even add up within the context of my comment, as I don't recall saying anything about the game was free.

Sometimes ppl buy the bundle just bcus of the game. I hate when ppl bring up tht bundle excuse.
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt if you at least not take things out of context and add your own spin to it. As you're literally accusing me of claiming the game only sold well because it was bundled when that was never implied.

So No; it's not an excuse the game sold above the franchise norm because it was heavily bundled at launch in 2001 and that was done because it was PS2's first true system seller, Sony of course used it to push hardware in America. It's the only GT game to have sold better in North America than Europe

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The poster simply asked why GT3 sold so much compared to the others. I'm not trying to discredit the game. So yes it does matter, as the game was heavily bundled so it explains why it sold so much in North America compared to the others before and after it. It was the default game pack in for quite awhile in NA. It's not a knock against the game as it's a phenomenal game that reviewed well, and was a graphical showcase for the console. A literal system seller for it's time. So your comment doesn't even add up within the context of my comment, as I don't recall saying anything about the game was free.

Sometimes it wouldn't hurt if you at least not take things out of context and add your own spin to it. As you're literally accusing me of claiming the game only sold well because it was bundled when that was never implied.

So No; it's not an excuse the game sold above the franchise norm because it was heavily bundled at launch in 2001 and that was done because it was PS2's first true system seller, Sony of course used it to push hardware in America. It's the only GT game to have sold better in North America than Europe
Wth are you even talking about? Relax with the persecution complex. I didn't read your comment nor respond to it. I could care less for what you thought made it sell. You always on some defensive shit man, you really need to chill with that.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think title should specify in the US.

Eh maybe, but I think it wouldn't matter if it sells less as long as it brings more money.
I guess I just don't think that comparison matters. If costs are higher to develop a game, and prices are higher to buy, higher revenue doesn't mean much as a direct comparison.

Either way the game is a big success. I bought it. I never bought GT3.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Nah you are and cry alot about stuff. You really need to evaluate that Bro.
Nah I am good. I answered a simply question and y'all turnt into something else.

There's no crying, it's a forum. Typed words for me and then I move on. Simple as that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nah I am good. I answered a simply question and y'all turnt into something else.

There's no crying, it's a forum. Typed words for me and then I move on. Simple as that.
Yup simple as tht. You know what they say about ppl tht assume "simple as that" I agree. You were the last thing on my mind when I responded to ethoz.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Taking inflation into consideration GT7 is way cheaper now than GT3 was when released. We also have to consider that on top of that, GT7 has microtransactions and GT3 didn't.
Great point. Which still points to GT3 being more successful. Again, doesn't matter to me. I just think all the "revenue" comparisons (and that goes for stuff like "number 3 in unit sales, but number 2 in revenue!") is just kinda meaningless. What matters are units sold, and the money you have left over.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
But wouldnt that mean it had a large install base to sell it to?
Exactly there are point to both sides.

GT3 was cheaper and had a way bigger install base to sell.
GT7 is expensive with a way smaller install base.

Even so it is crazy to see GT7 that close in sales… nobody could tell that some years ago when people claimed GT was in decline and Forza Motorsport was the best things (and no FM sold more than 1/3 of what GT games sells).

And today we are here.
Forza Motorsport is a dead franchise.
GT not jus reinvented itself with GTS and becomes better and better… GT7 is even aiming to break records for the franchise.

No matter at anybody says GT7 surpassing q game that sold over 7 million in US is crazy.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Exactly there are point to both sides.

GT3 was cheaper and had a way bigger install base to sell.
GT7 is expensive with a way smaller install base.

Even so it is crazy to see GT7 that close in sales… nobody could tell that some years ago when people claimed GT was in decline.
Ppl definitely were insinuating that and it was further exasperated by it scoring lower than one of the Forzas at the time so fanboys jumped on that train, although GT outsells the whole series put together.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
But wouldnt that mean it had a large install base to sell it to?

True but the game was released in 2005.

By that time people were moving on to next gen consoles which were released in 2005-2006. 360 in 2005 and PS3 in late 2006.

It’s like expecting games like Donkey Kong 64, Conkers bad fur day and Banjo Tooie to outsell previous Rare games cause of a larger install base.

Reality is they sold poorly cause the Dreamcast was around the corner.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ppl definitely were insinuating that and it was further exasperated by it scoring lower than one of the Forzas at the time so fanboys jumped on that train, although GT outsells the whole series put together.
And Forza Motorsport become a dead franchise.
Even MS give up on it (if you don’t realize MS changed all focus to a spin-off Forza Horizon).

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
True but the game was released in 2005.

By that time people were moving on to next gen consoles which were released in 2005-2006.

It’s like expecting games like Donkey Kong 64, Conkers bad fur day and Banjo Tooie to outsell previous Rare games cause of a larger install base.

Reality is they sold poorly cause the Dreamcast was around the corner.
Nobody was moving on to next gen by then. Many Playstation owners actually waited for Sony to announce PS3 before they decided. God of War 2 was released in 2007... That's probably the only exclusive that got affected.

It sold over 11 million... GT3 was just the anamoly for many different factors.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nobody was moving on to next gen by then. Many Playstation owners actually waited for Sony to announce PS3 before they decided. God of War 2 was released in 2007... That's probably the only exclusive that got affected.

For more that I love my PS3 I agree here.
At the first 2 years of PS3 nobody was moving from PS2 to PS3… in fact PS2 was still selling in some months more than next-gen consoles in 2008.

Publishers where selling way more on PS2 too:

PS2 sold more than 40 million units after the PS360 was launched 🔥

Things changed in 2009 when PS2 owners really started to move to PS3.

Edit - I don’t think the PS2 effect is possible in the console market anymore.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja1187

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Many waited many didn't.

Anyway, it’s a known factor that late releases in the generation affect sales.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Thought gt4 is the biggest and best selling among all but anyway happy for gt7 i just wish the remove the always online stuff

Reactions: Gamernyc78