Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

People desperately trying to get Playstation to go third party so Xbox won't have to take the L alone. Grimiest most transparent astroturfing campaigns I've seen. All the port begging after ridiculing PS and its fans for not wanting to lose access to ABK games during the trials last year is a truly infuriating amount of hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
LeTs not get ahead of ourselves now lol. This should be the case but we need at least to know the viability of the franchise
Helldivers 1 already was successful and well reviewed. Helldivers 2 is a stunning success.

Make sure that in addition to Helldivers 2 postlaunch content they are already thinking about Helldivers 3 somewhere in the distant future, movie adaptations and so on.

Helldivers 2 already must be profitable, and will be selling more game units and addons for years.

To put things into perspective Palworld has sold 15 million on Steam with a highest CCU of 2.1 million.

Sales were 7 times more than highest CCU.

Helldivers 2 had a highest CCU of around 450K on Steam.

Multiplay that by 7 and you are looking at 3-4 million on Steam alone.
Yes, it gives around 3.2M.

Same goes with the Steam user reviews estimate: there are 147,115. Multiplying this by 25 you get an estimate of 3.68M. But the game got important server issues, meaning more reviews than usual. So yes, around 3.2M would be a good match.

Add a similar number for PS, maybe a bit higher. So a total of around 6.5-7M aprox. Being pessimistic 6M, being optimistic 8M. And this is not counting the addons.

It's a huge hit, and they achieved it in barely 2 weeks and a half with the servers burning and causing big issues. They'll sell more once stabilized.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

People desperately trying to get Playstation to go third party so Xbox won't have to take the L alone. Grimiest most transparent astroturfing campaigns I've seen. All the port begging after ridiculing PS and it's fans for not wanting to lose access to ABK games during the trials last year is a truly infuriating amount of hypocrisy.

Bozos reinforced everyday.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Don't know quite what to make of the NA peak being only slightly larger than the EU peak today, this goes against the entirety of the curve since the game's release.

Either US folks on PC have got their fill of the game and have started playing the game less or...
It's because the game becomes unstable when the 800k CCU is reached, even if you're already in the game. Kicked out, crashes and bugs. They reach the peak at night in US so it can't go higher because people stop playing 😔

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Why would they order a sequel if it weren’t viable?

It could stop selling tomorrow and be viable
The first game was a success in its own right. I think it sold around 2+ million in the end.

I don't think it's up there with the game's you mentioned however as "core franchise"... It needs time to fully establish itself.

• thinking_hard

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Helldivers 1 already was successful and well reviewed. Helldivers 2 is a stunning success.

Make sure that in addition to Helldivers 2 postlaunch content they are already thinking about Helldivers 3 somewhere in the distant future, movie adaptations and so on.

Helldivers 2 already must be profitable, and will be selling more game units and addons for years.

I do not think Helldivers as a franchise is on the same level as Gran Turismo and Horizon 💀

Sorry that's literally straight up delusion. I'm not knocking the success of the game so I don't need the mansplainning on it's success, I think we are all aware lol.

I just think we should give it a year to see how it establishes itself in the Live Service Games Arena before we put it in the same league as the best selling PlayStation Franchise 🤷🏽‍♂️

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Helldivers 2 did similar sales as some of sonys flagships ip without huge marketing treatment (blogpost and state of plays showings only) and no bundles or physical collectors editions
But how many Sony Flagships has ever launched on multiple platforms day one?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

People desperately trying to get Playstation to go third party so Xbox won't have to take the L alone. Grimiest most transparent astroturfing campaigns I've seen. All the port begging after ridiculing PS and it's fans for not wanting to lose access to ABK games during the trials last year is a truly infuriating amount of hypocrisy.

Yep, but so much sweeter to see when even Tom Warrior is saying elder scrolls 6 will be day one on PlayStation. The bad news has been relentless for Xbots.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I do not think Helldivers as a franchise is on the same level as Gran Turismo and Horizon 💀

Sorry that's literally straight up delusion. I'm not knocking the success of the game so I don't need the mansplainning on it's success, I think we are all aware lol.

I just think we should give it a year to see how it establishes itself in the Live Service Games Arena before we put it in the same league as the best selling PlayStation Franchise 🤷🏽‍♂️
I didn't say it's an IP of similar level, or at least until the HD2 launch.

Helldivers wasn't as big as Horizon and GT before HD2, but apparently in sold over half a dozen million units in a couple weeks (plus addons & extras), and at least in Steam passed even the all time CCU Destiny 2 record even if servers weren't working properly.

Meaning, HD2 is performing better or similar numbers than Horizon or GT. Plus was made by a smaller and cheaper team and is a GaaS. Meaning, it will be more protitable.

But again, I didn't say it's an IP like them. But tell me, if they are making adaptations of less successful IPs like Gravity Rush, Patapon, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima or Twisted Metal, why shouldn't they also adapt Helldivers too?

Same goes with the sequel, they make sequels of way less successful games, as could be Ratchet or Helldivers 1. Why shouldn't they want a Helldivers 3 after such success?

• brain

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The game achieved a 700-800K CCU peak and has 174K user reviews in Steam. Combining both platforms super likely sold over 6M units until now, being optimistic maybe even over 8M.

That would mean a revenue of 240-320M + warbonds + super citizen upgrades + microtransactions, maybe a total revenue of 300-400M being conservative, in barely a couple weeks.

And it will continue selling game and addons during years. It's a huge hit.

3 million in a week + battle passes + microtransactions is huge even for a big AAA game. Only a few games achieve that.

It's an insane achievement for a game leaded by a 100 people studio, means the game already is profitable on its first month and all the future revenue they will generate (minus what they spend in post-launch content and servers) will be pure profit.

Many AAA games didn't achieve 3M not only in their first week: they never achieved it on their entire life cycle. And most of them didn't have addons.

And pretty likely Helldivers 2 went well beyond that, probably is at 6-8M now because in addition of selling around 3M on Steam also did it in PS5.
I would say 3m for a regular AAA would be a flop, considering most AAA budgets these days exceed 100m just on development costs.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I would say 3m for a regular AAA would be a flop, considering most AAA budgets these days exceed 100m just on development costs.
AAA games with a budget of 100M are profitable selling 3M even at an average price of $35 per copy. But many didn't achieve this.

The sales numbers of GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon, CoD, Elden Ring etc. are not the average AAA sales, they are best selling exceptions.

Many of them tank, but when it's the case the company doesn't share their sales numbers.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AAA games with a budget of 100M are profitable selling 3M even at an average price of $35 per copy. But many didn't achieve this.

The sales numbers of GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon, CoD, Elden Ring etc. are not the average AAA sales, they are best selling exceptions.

Many of them tank, but when it's the case the company doesn't share their sales numbers.
That doesn't even consider the marketing costs though? I feel like the average AAA has to hit 4-5m to break even

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I didn't say it's an IP of similar level, or at least until the HD2 launch.

Helldivers wasn't as big as Horizon and GT before HD2, but apparently in sold over half a dozen million units in a couple weeks (plus addons & extras), and at least in Steam passed even the all time CCU Destiny 2 record even if servers weren't working properly.

Meaning, HD2 is performing better or similar numbers than Horizon or GT. Plus was made by a smaller and cheaper team and is a GaaS. Meaning, it will be more protitable.

But again, I didn't say it's an IP like them. But tell me, if they are making adaptations of less successful IPs like Gravity Rush, Patapon, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima or Twisted Metal, why shouldn't they also adapt Helldivers too?

Same goes with the sequel, they make sequels of way less successful games, as could be Ratchet or Helldivers 1. Why shouldn't they want a Helldivers 3 after such success?
The comment I responded to put Helldivers in the same league as Gran Turismo and Horizon and that's what I was addressing? You then quoted my comment? Stating what you did?

I don't see where in here I'm stating Helldivers shouldn't get adaptations or whatever? If you can find that comment of mine, then I'll be glad to discuss lol.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The comment I responded to put Helldivers in the same league as Gran Turismo and Horizon and that's what I was addressing? You then quoted my comment? Stating what you did?

I don't see where in here I'm stating Helldivers shouldn't get adaptations or whatever? If you can find that comment of mine, then I'll be glad to discuss lol.
Post 1 : You said "LeTs not get ahead of ourselves now lol. This should be the case but we need at least to know the viability of the franchise" and I quoted you to say it's already viable, because they already released 2 successful games of the franchise being the recent one a huge hit. So it was likely that they will make a third game and maybe some movie/tv show adaptation.

Post 2: You quoted post 1 saying "I do not think Helldivers as a franchise is on the same level as Gran Turismo and Horizon 💀

Sorry that's literally straight up delusion. I'm not knocking the success of the game so I don't need the mansplainning on it's success, I think we are all aware lol."

Post 3: I quoted post 2 saying that I didn't say Helldivers isn't an IP as popular as Horizon or Gran Turismo but that HD2 is getting big hit numbers, way better than other Sony games that got sequels or adaptations.

And well, I add now if it wasn't clear that early numbers are normally a small part of its total sales numbers, meaning that if it has huge numbers now are indicative that it will have huge numbers at the end of its lifecycle.

Make sure that in their May report of the current fiscal year they'll brag about PC and GaaS, highlighting Helldivers 2 as a big success with maybe even over 8-10M copies sold and over 1M CCU record by then, once they solved the server issues and added the first post launch content update (which may only have Warbond, things like Mechs or new enemy factions I think may be added later).

Last edited: