Helldivers 2 Review and |OT| "Fight for freedom, fight for Democracy"

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
image.png

Doing my part!

Video Games Team GIF by PlayStation

My review:

This game has made me love multiplayer again. It's enough to say that it disturbingly haunts your brain when you're outside and doing other stuff than gaming. Gunplay, animation, graphics, difficulty and especially satire humor all work together to provide one of the best MP games to this date. I was planning to get it but didn't expect much out of it, and here I'm fully amazed by Arrowhead and Sony's glorious achievement with this game.

I'm mostly 99% a singleplayer gamer. If you're like me, then this game might as well change your perspective. I would say adding a SP campaign would've as well added more value if this was a $60-70 game, but $40 says everything with similar price of Overwatch.

I'll be excited to see how this game will evolve in the upcoming future. The chaotic nature of this game keeps it fresh enough so far and the introduction of new biomes/planets every few days make you wanna jump in more frequently as well.

I was expecting a game that'll be set at 8/10, but this was an easy 10/10 to me. Highly recommended whether you have friends or play with randos.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
For uninformed people and hater trolls like you:

Helldivers II achieved a higher all time Steam CCU peak than the whole catalog from PS Studios, Microsoft Game Studios, Activision, Bethesda, EA, 2K, Rockstar, Ubisoft, Valve, WB, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Koei Tecmo with only these following exceptions:
  • Counter-Strike GO/2 (1,818,773, F2P)
  • Dota 2 (1,295,114, F2P)
  • Elden Ring (953,426)
  • Hogwarts Legacy (879,308)
  • CoD (491,670)
  • Fallout 4 (472,962)
  • Life is Strange 2 (468,717)
  • GTAV (364,548)
  • Starfield (330,723)
  • Counter-Strike (319,586, F2P)
  • Skyrim (287,411)
  • Halo Infinite (272,586, F2P)
According to the Arrowhead CEO it has somewhat similar CCU in PS5. This normally causes issue that aren't possible to predict or test internally with simulations or even in open betas. As a game CCU coun scales there are new issues that appear. It's a very difficult area for servers programmers but they are solving the issues very fast.

The amount of server issues they have are minimal, and the login one isn't really a server issue: when servers are full they prevent new users to enter to avoid a server collapse, so you can't enter until someone else leaves. They solve that by hiring more servers, which are really expensive so companies hire only a bit more than the ones they need and add or remove as needed almost daily in these kind of situations. Normally these peaks are only a few days long.

The only issue not completely fixed is the matchmaking one, even if it improved. The rest of the game has been working pretty well related to the servers.
I have that clown on ignore. You should too, he’s a waste of time.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The server/login issues for a gaas game are embarrassing, doubly so for having lasted this long. The person who wrote their buggy network code should be fired. Especially since it was not tested before launch
It's one of the biggest success ever, almost beating Destiny, COD and GTA. Nobody could predict that.

You need to chill my god...always miserable

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
In doomer headcanon Gravity Rush would be the bigger and more important release than Helldivers is.

They’re gonna be mad each time one of these hits and that it’s not more brain dead marvel junk casual fodder.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Bruh, we get it. You don’t like the game. If you dislike it that much, just stop playing it. Everybody here is ignoring you.
You're going to be miserable getting triggered by any post that points out the obvious issues with the game. A safe space baby - here have a pacifier.

Clearly a fresh Helldiver, on top of massive pom pom fanboy.

The obvious - I don't dislike the game but I won't over hype it either. The game's criticisms stand - it's as content barren as D1 or D2 at launch or more, and if you hold standards where you should, the game should be rightfully dinged on that - specially considering what's missing that H1 had. The match-making issues are of continuous annoyance and pop randomly. The bugs less so because they're not critical. Of course some randoms online got no standards, except tribalistic allegiance on top of the "what I like is the best" attitude. Since most don't even know what H1 had content wise, and stability wise jumping to this game for many is like the best thing since slice bread. Childish.

As for the grind, did you know that instead of the points grind in H2 the first game allowed you to earn strategems by beating specific planets that had the strategems as the reward? Thus alleviating the grind? Did you know that samples could be spent upgrading strategems specifically instead of H2's massive grind bulk buys for "ship upgrades"? In H1 the upgrade system was a la carte, and allowed you to to pick and chose your play style and level up just based on that play-style much easier. Of course some folk can't see the real underlying sources of the criticism cause we're dealing with ignoramuses ... and so all the triggered children associate criticism to "hating". It's clear as day they overhauled the system completely to encourage mtx spending (supercredits). You have to be an idiot not to see it, even while being ignorant of H1 upgrade systems. There is one way to bring the new system more in line with the old system - with better balancing - aka lowering the costs of most things across the board. Easy fix. Already 32 hrs in and still at least 700-800 medals away in order to, in my estimate, have enough supercredits to access the premium warbond - which to my understanding is gating the SG-225IE with incendiary rounds on the second pack of upgrades. And I don't do low difficulty planets -> extreme and up only.

You picked a curious statement to respond to, although I can tell the triggering was a build up process and you merely had it with that post. Not your first time either.... you're one of those rent free cats that shadow my posts. The point stands...folks should be doing impossible/helldive difficulty planets. That is going to net the player the best time to reward ratio and lessen the pain of the grind. It's perfectly do-able now with randoms. At least until we get a balancing patch for all the upgrade systems - but that ain't coming any time soon if ever.

As for the earlier match-making issue, restarting the game is what alleviates it.

Keep "ignoring" while not ignoring. It's always the same with these soft cats.

Last edited:

Nix

14 Feb 2024
Still getting random crashes from time to time on PC, what makes it worse is there is no way to reconnect and your time is just wasted which is really annoying.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The server/login issues for a gaas game are embarrassing, doubly so for having lasted this long. The person who wrote their buggy network code should be fired. Especially since it was not tested before launch
It's karma for using MS Azure servers.

What I don't get is that the entire point of those were scalability no?