Helldivers 2 Review and |OT| "Fight for freedom, fight for Democracy"

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

*edit btw I'm not claiming that helldivers is generic, i don't think it is. Just answering your claim that there isn't anything else like it.

I didn’t say there wasn’t anything else like it, Earth Defense Force exist. Just that in order for it to be generic i need more than like two games that sort of do the same things.

Out of all the shooter genres i think this is probably the least generic at this point

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
I voted 96-100.

That will be the quality of PlayStations GAAS offering, desaa!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I didn’t say there wasn’t anything else like it, Earth Defense Force exist. Just that in order for it to be generic i need more than like two games that sort of do the same things.

Out of all the shooter genres i think this is probably the least generic at this point
I think the main thing that I feel is a bit lacking from the game is that we don't have a clear explanation of how varied the game mission types are going to be. If it's just elimination, survival, or assault type objectives it can feel a bit barren. I would like to see some sort of like, base building.. or other collaborative activity to flesh the game out. Game modes. Maybe that's just my personal preference bc every time we have these types of hybrid shooter/strategy games they die out because it's too complex for casuals... but that's what's missing from the game to capture my full interest

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think the main thing that I feel is a bit lacking from the game is that we don't have a clear explanation of how varied the game mission types are going to be. If it's just elimination, survival, or assault type objectives it can feel a bit barren. I would like to see some sort of like, base building.. or other collaborative activity to flesh the game out. Game modes. Maybe that's just my personal preference bc every time we have these types of hybrid shooter/strategy games they die out because it's too complex for casuals... but that's what's missing from the game to capture my full interest

It did look like there was some ship building but idk how in depth it’s gonna be. I agree that they really need to be on the ball with content roll outs post launch

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Hmm after watching more uncut gameplay I'm leaning towards day 1 buy, the trailers and random bullshit with talking heads didn't do the game any favors but actually watching the raw gameplay makes it seem a lot better than i thought. Still feels a little light on content so I hope they have some plans to introduce more stuff, I don't want this to be a 1 week fling

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Hmm after watching more uncut gameplay I'm leaning towards day 1 buy, the trailers and random bullshit with talking heads didn't do the game any favors but actually watching the raw gameplay makes it seem a lot better than i thought. Still feels a little light on content so I hope they have some plans to introduce more stuff, I don't want this to be a 1 week fling
Yes, that's my only worry tht it's light on content and the loop gets repetitive fast but if done well this has winner written all over it.

D

Deleted member 223

Post em links puff. I also find the commentary annoying as fuck.

They're sort of mapping the game like the first one. It's gonna be light and repetitive, with the end game being higher difficulty maps. Mech strategems not at launch is a big miss imo. Holding the illuminates faction for a DLC drop is also gonna be a miss. When you're going against games like D2/Fornite/Apex who are bloated in content you're really hoping for a miracle. It's not like the early days of GaaS during the PS4 era... to operate like those studios operated in the early stages is not a sound strategy anymore imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Danja
D

Deleted member 223

One thing I have not seen being talked about is the boss planet. In H1 every faction had a boss planet you unlocked after a certain amount of contribution to the overall galactic war.

Wonder if that is in Day One.

It was a fill in for a "raid" type activty, except only as a boss battle.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
One thing I have not seen being talked about is the boss map. In H1 every faction had a boss map you unlocked after a certain amount of contribution to the overall galactic war.

Wonder if that is in Day One.

It was a fill in for a "raid" type activty, except only as a boss battle.
Man I should have played part 1 and I never did. Sounds like it was solid.