Helldivers 2: We are constantly going to add free stuff and updates. |UP| "Escalation of Freedom" Announced, biggest update ever coming Aug. 6th.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Some good news of sorts is that Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is releasing in roughly 10 days' time; I know a lot of people on this site and, in general, will be playing it, so it should free up lots of spots for the people that will be continuing with Helldivers.

It's not much, but I am trying to add some positive spin for people.

hugs, and try not to get at each other's throats on the forums.

couple hug GIF

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Some good news of sorts is that Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is releasing in roughly 10 days' time; I know a lot of people on this site and, in general, will be playing it, so it should free up lots of spots for the people that will be continuing with Helldivers.

It's not much, but I am trying to add some positive spin for people.

hugs, and try not to get at each other's throats on the forums.

couple hug GIF

I’m glad FF7 exists.

It gives the doomers and extreme fanboy nuttters what they want so they can stfu for a bit about games they’ll never play.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Stop being a fanboy and realise that people are more than entitled to be pissed that they can't play a game they paid for. You're the same as an Xbot evangelist.
You're always pissed off and angry about everything. It must be exhausting living that way. A militant-type always looking for a cause 🙄

That poster was complaining about a lack of content since last week in the OT. I just thought it was funny because he's still playing everyday. Chill ✌️

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The game does lack content. But the gameplay is fun enough that it holds up even with the lack of content, I played deep rock galactic when there was a big lack of content and stopped, then came back when there was more. Because the core game was great. I don't get what there is to be salty about, the devs already said they're adding all the content updates for free.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
First of all, I didn't call Arrowhead the best devs in the world, nor did I downplay the fact that there are undesirable bits of the game right now.
Neither I said you did.

I simply told you your options, because whining about it isn't going to change a thing at this point.
Sure, so we should all be quiet and say yes like good little bots.

The game blew up in less than 2 weeks, there is zero chance that any programming team could have come up with a solution in this time.
They should have built an online game to be able to scale. They didn't. If they had written good network code that can scale nicely, this wouldn't have been an issue.

You are acting like real world development is like hacking in movies where they type really fast and in 5 minutes say "I'm in" and the problem is solved.
No, I really am not. I'm sure their developers are working overtime to fix this, but this wouldn't have been a problem if they had the foresight to write code that can scale gracefully. Their code is obviously not up to snuff for this amount of volume and it cannot be easily scaled, else it would have.

You're always pissed off and angry about everything. It must be exhausting living that way. A militant-type always looking for a cause 🙄
Absolutely exhausting, I sleep about 18 hours per day.

That poster was complaining about a lack of content since last week in the OT. I just thought it was funny because he's still playing everyday. Chill ✌️
And that's fine. I don't agree with the assertion of lack of content, however @KnittedKnight is right in complaining that he cannot play the game. That we're having this argument is completely bonkers. If this were an Xbox game you'd all be sharing memes and laughing.

Reactions: nongkris

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Neither I said you did.

Sure, so we should all be quiet and say yes like good little bots.

They should have built an online game to be able to scale. They didn't. If they had written good network code that can scale nicely, this wouldn't have been an issue.

No, I really am not. I'm sure their developers are working overtime to fix this, but this wouldn't have been a problem if they had the foresight to write code that can scale gracefully. Their code is obviously not up to snuff for this amount of volume and it cannot be easily scaled, else it would have.

Absolutely exhausting, I sleep about 18 hours per day.

And that's fine. I don't agree with the assertion of lack of content, however @KnittedKnight is right in complaining that he cannot play the game. That we're having this argument is completely bonkers. If this were an Xbox game you'd all be sharing memes and laughing.
We are sharing memes and laughing? I mean I've already posted that every Sony studio with live service ambitions needs to be in on a postmortem so they can avoid these types of problems... but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that these devs are terrible for not coding something for an edge case scenario that exceeded their best case estimates by probably more than an order of magnitude. Just look at the landscape of dead gaas that litter the landscape, projects with more name cache behind the ip and studio, ten times the dev and marketing budget... and they still failed and are at <10k concurrent.
How are you going to go to your project manager and say: "I need an extra 3 months to design and implement a database that can scale smoothly up to, say, 1 million concurrent users" when the engagement metrics show you'll likely max out at 30k?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Now that the weekend is over, (even though Monday is a holiday for some) and the issue is still not permanently resolved I fear the public reception is only going to go downhill from here. Steam reviews are getting lower day by day and rightfully so.

While the gameplay is great an always online video game should never release in a state where the more people that play the more broken the game gets. Unacceptable. Even if they only expected 1 customer, your always online product should always scale.

Helldivers was absolutely not on anyones radar before release, they could've delayed to perform a network test or beta to iron out these issues without any pushback. There also needs to be a message in game on the login screen about how they're working on these issues instead of statements posted through twitter and discord which most people never see.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Now that the weekend is over, (even though Monday is a holiday for some) and the issue is still not permanently resolved I fear the public reception is only going to go downhill from here. Steam reviews are getting lower day by day and rightfully so.

While the gameplay is great an always online video game should never release in a state where the more people that play the more broken the game gets. Unacceptable. Even if they only expected 1 customer, your always online product should always scale.

Helldivers was absolutely not on anyones radar before release, they could've delayed to perform a network test or beta to iron out these issues without any pushback. There also needs to be a message in game on the login screen about how they're working on these issues instead of statements posted through twitter and discord which most people never see.
That's true. Statements on twitter and discord only is a bit unprofessional. Would be acceptable for a dev team of 5-10 dudes, but arrowhead is 80. That's an AA size studio.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
We are sharing memes and laughing? I mean I've already posted that every Sony studio with live service ambitions needs to be in on a postmortem so they can avoid these types of problems...
I don't think the next Live Service game by Sony will have these issues, they are absolutely learning from this example.

but I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that these devs are terrible for not coding something for an edge case scenario that exceeded their best case estimates by probably more than an order of magnitude.
It's an online game, their code should be able to scale "theoretically" ad infinitum. I know that they were not expecting this level of success, but in theory this should have been "as easy as" scaling server capacity, yet it isn't. Hell, the game doesn't or didn't have a queue system, which is absolutely insane in this day and age.

Please pay close attention to whatever is in quotation marks as well, as I'm very aware that of course it's not that easy.

Just look at the landscape of dead gaas that litter the landscape, projects with more name cache behind the ip and studio, ten times the dev and marketing budget... and they still failed and are at <10k concurrent.
That has nothing to do with the issues these guys are facing though.

How are you going to go to your project manager and say: "I need an extra 3 months to design and implement a database that can scale smoothly up to, say, 1 million concurrent users" when the engagement metrics show you'll likely max out at 30k?
See, that's the problem with software development nowadays: You scope out to whatever number you think is right and then stop caring about making your code or your project scalable. A dev only scoping for a maximum of 30k does not imply that their code should not be able to scale beyond that, even by a factor of 100x.

Again, in theory, this should be "as easy as" (quotation marks again) scaling up with Azure and be done with it.

This

This

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
They should extend the double xp and money beyond the 3 days for ongoing server issues in order to keep players happy so they don’t ditch the game too early

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They should extend the double xp and money beyond the 3 days for ongoing server issues in order to keep players happy so they don’t ditch the game too early
Yeah they need to extend this.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
That's true. Statements on twitter and discord only is a bit unprofessional. Would be acceptable for a dev team of 5-10 dudes, but arrowhead is 80. That's an AA size studio.
How do you want them to make statements, on national tv? Lol All devs make statements. through Twitter.

Nix

14 Feb 2024
Is there even a point when matchmaking doesn't work regardless if you get in the game or not?

Reactions: nongkris
D

Deleted member 223

Bug: Railgun strategem call = orbital on top of the player aka instant death. Doesn't reset on respawn. Quitting the game does reset, doesn't carry across game sessions.

Bug: Game slowdown... not lag, but very low frames per second. Weird. Usually at the start of a mission, as host. Doesn't improve on respawn, quitting to ship etc.. Reboot game = fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 223

Stop being a fanboy and realise that people are more than entitled to be pissed that they can't play a game they paid for. You're the same as an Xbot evangelist.
He's the blue version, not that mentioning that is going to change his personality. We've got our share of those here. Mirror images. Bound to happen in a 120m ecosystem.

He gets triggered like many of our resident fanboys here. This game is supposed to be a celebration for Sony corp hence the fanboy defense force working overtime.

Never said the game had no content, but that it lacked a lot of content, specially compared to the original, and akin to Destiny 1/2 at launch. So your typical fanboy mischaracterizing something to paint fair criticism in a negative light. Also baiting while he himself is the one that's biting bitterly any criticism he reads. These folks add nothing, except cheerlead like pom pom schoolgirls. The worst behavior people could have around in life, they will never tell you what you need to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
He's a the blue version, not that motioning that is going to change his personality. We've got our share of those here.

He gets triggered like many of our resident fanboys here. This game is supposed to be a celebration for Sony corp hence the fanboy defence force working overtime.

Never said the game had no content, but that it lacked a lot of content, specially compared to the original, and akin to Destiny 1/2 at launch. So your typical fanboy mischaracterizing something to paint fair criticism in a negative light. Baiting while he himself is the one that's biting bitterly any criticism he reads. These folks add nothing, except cheerlead like pom pom schoolgirls. The worst behavior people could have around in life, they will never tell you what you need to hear.
Criticism when they fail is good. Let's not get personal with others and this isn't necessarily to you knitted but whomever is throwing daggers at others.

Some ppl have lower tolerance than others or experiences with this game. Online issues only really affected me for a few hours one day and the rest I've been gaming fine but it has to get fixed! I know others who just hvnt been able to get in so I know their pissed and comments will be alot more pessimistic.

In terms of the content I think it's about right for the first few weeks months of launch but he'll yes it needs more but thts the point of gaas introducing more to keep ppl engaged and paying more. Maybe I think it's enough because the gameplay loop is so satisfying although repetitious.but yeah needs more content because ppl will get burned out fast putting in hours in same gameplay loop.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bug: Game slowdown... not lag, but very low frames per second. Weird. Usually at the start of a mission, as host. Doesn't improve on respawn, quitting to ship etc.. Reboot game.

This is definitely a bug, I've had it myself. And yes, the only solution was to restart the game. Honestly, it almost looked like a memory leak.

D

Deleted member 223

This is definitely a bug, I've had it myself. And yes, the only solution was to restart the game. Honestly, it almost looked like a memory leak.
You may be right. I couldn't type either. Was trying to type to let the squad know I was backing out but I couldn't, the textbox pop up window wouldn't open. PS5 touchpad.

I'm like 8 missions away from the platinum. Once I get it I'll drop the game until they release the mech strategems. By that time much of this stuff will be fixed although mechs are going to bring bugs of their own for sure, specially day 1.