Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition launches on PS5 October 6, and comes to PC early 2024

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
The head of Playstation already said they need PC given the economics of AAA game development. Do you want AAA Playstation games or not?
You need to be better prepared for your defense PC boy. PC ports work if they can sell millions more copies there, and I do not think they can ever achieve that considering the 2 years gap of release window. Also, I wonder how Sony studios could develop all those games during the PS4 era, truly wondering, guess Sony was just richer back then. As for AAA part, if 10 AAA games for 1 year are not possible, then scale down to 4 AAA and 6 A or AA, I have no problems with that direction.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I am actually curious to see much this will sell. If this flops, it's definitely time to scrap PC ports overall.

This has been the absolute worst Playstation generation ever an the ramifications won't be felt till next gen. All who wanna continue to stick their heads into the sand and gloat about PS5 selling like hot-cakes will look silly. Like, yeah no shit? PS5 will be selling well because that's how momentum works. Let's see how a Playstation sells coming off a disgruntled generation with the absolute WORST Leadership and Brand Marketing.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You need to be better prepared for your defense PC boy. PC ports work if they can sell millions more copies there, and I do not think they can ever achieve that considering the 2 years gap of release window. Also, I wonder how Sony studios could develop all those games during the PS4 era, truly wondering, guess Sony was just richer back then.
Quoting Jim Ryan:
We will continue to make single player games like we always have, and we expect those to have slightly greater sales and profitability, reflecting our confidence in the long-term installed base of PS5, as well as the fact that those games will make their way to PC. So, we think that the pie from those games will grow, but that growth will be incremental in nature. We think the live service games will build on that foundation and take us to another level.

To summarize: Playstation expects "incremental" growth in their established types of single player games thanks in part to them coming to PC. They expect "another level" of growth in their service games, all of which are expected to launch on PC.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The head of Playstation already said they need PC given the economics of AAA game development. Do you want AAA Playstation games or not?
They need PC? 😂🤣

PlayStation revenue in 2022 - 27 billion
PlayStation PC revenue in 2022 - 200 million

200 million divided by 27 billion = .0074% 🤣

PSN store generates ~500 million a week. More than 2x what PC brings in a year.

And that 200m was in a year with Destiny 2, God of War, Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, TLOU 1 remake, Spider-Man 2018, Spider-Man Miles Morales all released 😬 some of their most marquee titles. I shudder to think what it will be this year with just Returnal and Rift Apart 😂🤣

Not to mention that 200 million is just revenue, not profit. Steam cut and port cost eats away at that. 😭😭 you're delusional if you think they NEED them. Sony could be making SIGNIFICANTLY more money if they shut down Nixxes and bought another dedicated PSVR2 studio, OR put Nixxes into remastering classic PlayStation games from ps3 and earlier. Not giving games to a competing platform where they flop. Too bad Sony is run by buffoons' and will get decimated by the Switch 2 next year.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I am actually curious to see much this will sell. If this flops, it's definitely time to scrap PC ports overall.

This has been the absolute worst Playstation generation ever an the ramifications won't be felt till next gen. All who wanna continue to stick their heads into the sand and gloat about PS5 selling like hot-cakes will look silly. Like, yeah no shit? PS5 will be selling well because that's how momentum works. Let's see how a Playstation sells coming off a disgruntled generation with the absolute WORST Leadership and Brand Marketing.
I don't think it will flop.
First game sold over 2.4 million units on PC in like 2 years.
60$ million revenue (already removing the 3rd-party stores cuts).

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Quoting Jim Ryan:

To summarize: Playstation expects "incremental" growth in their established types of single player games thanks in part to them coming to PC. They expect "another level" of growth in their service games, all of which are expected to launch on PC.
Playstation has never been bigger because of the PS4 success, not because of the PC strategy lmao. I know you are a PC fan but please don’t be delusional. Jim Ryan talks whatever he thinks fits the narrative, he can not say the PC strategy is bad because that will make a clown of himself. I also do not think PC strategy is bad, yet. Guess we need to wait until Switch 2 and the near future to judge.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

God of War Ragnarok is one of the best games I've ever played. Insomniac is on a roll. Guerrilla worked magic on Forbidden West. Housemarque jumped up the AAA with Returnal. 3rd parties have bangers like The Hitman Trilogy, Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate.

Playstation is murdering this generation, to the point where Xbox might have to retreat to Series S to even continue making consoles. PS5 is a more ambitious box than PS4, and it's succeeding big time. What is the problem?

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Of course it will flop, and no that 60m was revenue, not profit. Horizon sold 2m+ because that was the first 1st party Sony game going to PC (Death Stranding doesn't count), the honeymoon phase is over now and this is a guaranteed flop just like everything else was.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They need PC? 😂🤣

PlayStation revenue in 2022 - 27 billion
PlayStation PC revenue in 2022 - 200 million

200 million divided by 27 billion = .0074% 🤣

PSN store generates ~500 million a week. More than 2x what PC brings in a year.

And that 200m was in a year with Destiny 2, God of War, Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, TLOU 1 remake, Spider-Man 2018, Spider-Man Miles Morales all released 😬 some of their most marquee titles. I shudder to think what it will be this year with just Returnal and Rift Apart 😂🤣

Not to mention that 200 million is just revenue, not profit. Steam cut and port cost eats away at that. 😭😭 you're delusional if you think they NEED them. Sony could be making SIGNIFICANTLY more money if they shut down Nixxes and bought another dedicated PSVR2 studio, OR put Nixxes into remastering classic PlayStation games from ps3 and earlier. Not giving games to a competing platform where they flop. Too bad Sony is run by buffoons' and will get decimated by the Switch 2 next year.
First-party revenue in 2022 was around $3.67 billion.
That is where PC revenue is added... around 5%.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The first game was an actual event when released on PC. There's no way this game will sell as well. I am not saying it will flop as I said.. I'm curious to see how it sells as in reality it should be the final straw to scrap this bullshit initiative.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
God of War Ragnarok is one of the best games I've ever played. Insomniac is on a roll. Guerrilla worked magic on Forbidden West. Housemarque jumped up the AAA with Returnal. 3rd parties have bangers like The Hitman Trilogy, Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate.

Playstation is murdering this generation, to the point where Xbox might have to retreat to Series S to even continue making consoles. PS5 is a more ambitious box than PS4, and it's succeeding big time. What is the problem?
They are definitely murdering this generation alright :LOL:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The first game was an actual event when released on PC. There's no way this game will sell as well. I am not saying it will flop as I said.. I'm curious to see how it sells as in reality it should be the final straw to scrap this bullshit initiative.
I expect key titles to do really well in PC... Horizon, GoW, Spider-man, etc.
The others titles well it will indeed flop... R&C, Returnal, etc.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
You need to be better prepared for your defense PC boy. PC ports work if they can sell millions more copies there, and I do not think they can ever achieve that considering the 2 years gap of release window. Also, I wonder how Sony studios could develop all those games during the PS4 era, truly wondering, guess Sony was just richer back then. As for AAA part, if 10 AAA games for 1 year are not possible, then scale down to 4 AAA and 6 A or AA, I have no problems with that direction.
Sony's actually richer now than they were then. Problem is, each new generation games take more to make. Both time and money. Itss why you see industry people saying AAA game development is becoming unsustainable.

And it gets worse each gen. Remember the PS3 era and how we got 3 Uncharted games in a single generation? We're now 3 year in and ND has only released a "remake" on PS5.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Of course they are not going to scrap PC development. Playstation is going to make 12 online service games which will be day and date on PC. This isn't the old SOE days where a few PC MMOs were released separately from Playstation. It's core to Playstation's first party publishing strategy. They're even going to let Bungie put out Marathon on Xbox. Get with the times.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Sony's actually richer now than they were then. Problem is, each new generation games take more to make. Both time and money. Itss why you see industry people saying AAA game development is becoming unsustainable.

And it gets worse each gen. Remember the PS3 era and how we got 3 Uncharted games in a single generation? We're now 3 year in and ND has only released a "remake" on PS5.
I know Sony is much richer now, that was just sarcasm. Sony’s 1st party output is much stronger now compared to the ps4 era though. As for the development time, they can expand their studios further, even divide Naughty Dog into ND1 and ND2 if necessary.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
First-party revenue in 2022 was around $3.67 billion.
That is where PC revenue is added... around 5%.
A for effort for trying to reframe the case to help PC port, but that 5% is STILL abysmal when you consider it was a slew of massive titles releasing in 1 year 😂🤣

Imagine if Nintendo ported Super Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros and Pokemon Sword and only made $200m ? 😂🤣 You think they'd be celebrating that as a success?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Of course they are not going to scrap PC development. Playstation is going to make 12 online service games which will be day and date on PC. This isn't the old SOE days where a few PC MMOs were released separately from Playstation. It's core to Playstation's first party publishing strategy. They're even going to let Bungie put out Marathon on Xbox. Get with the times.
I don't care if they put their GaaS games on PC Day One, I fully support that actually. Tent-pole single player games on the other hand I don't support. PS4 games being ported were fine. The generation was over. There is no excuse or reason why PS5 exclusives are being sent to PC to die and then we get articles about how bad the sales and player retention are... Unless Jim Ryan has a kink for getting publicly ridiculed.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
A for effort for trying to reframe the case to help PC port, but that 5% is STILL abysmal when you consider it was a slew of massive titles releasing in 1 year 😂🤣

Imagine if Nintendo ported Super Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros and Pokemon Sword and only made $200m ? 😂🤣 You think they'd be celebrating that as a success?
Not effort... just correcting your math.

First-party revenue in FY2023 (that ended in March 31, 2023) was $3.67 billion including your PC revenue.
So if PC did $200 million it was around 5% of the actual revenue.

They are not celebrating it because it was below what they forecast.
PC titles under performed and the only thing that saved them was Bungie's Destiny (that over performed).
They expected around $250m and ended probably below $200m.

Last edited: