Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition launches on PS5 October 6, and comes to PC early 2024

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
The difference is that I don't give a rats ass if a game that's exclusive on PC releases on consoles. Why not? Look at Baldurs gate 3. That's great for the developer.
But you do care about the growth of the platform, so what’s the difference in essence here? PS fans caring about PS exclusive is just a mechanism, what they truly care is the growth of Playstation as a console brand. Also, what you PC fans do not understand is that PS is not just a publisher, but also a console brand, so what a normal publisher benefits from is not identical to what PS benefits from

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
For folks who insanely hate this PC venture, I think you should advocate for more of this because Sony might learn a never-forget lesson when the console sales be damned by the venture.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It's the biggest October ever with Assassin’s Creed, Spider-Man 2, Mario Wonder, Alan Wake, Sonic, Lords of the Fallen and more lol
Is it impossible for sony to give Horizon enough space to breathe on its own or is it on purpose so if/when it underperforms the excuse is it was a crowded time?

• sad

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Do they have any stats on how many PCucks go on to buy a PS5 for the next installment? Without that, this is worthless. The money gained from meagre software sales on the pirate ship windows devalues the brand.

• they're_right_you_know
D

Deleted member 223

Corporations make mistakes all the time. But still, we should be more nuanced about this. All the talks about future damages are pure speculations and they may or may not happen. PS5 is selling like hotcakes so I’m not that worried. What I’m more worried is the slippery slope that Jim Ryan might want to commit, the gap between the console and pc releases for now is 2 years, but it can be cut continuously and one day, we may see day and date release (this one is definitely damning though, Whoever thinks it’s not is just PC fans).
The high end console market has a TAM of about 180m (MS says 200M) but it's closer to 180m. PlayStation is consolidating that market, at the expense of Xbox. Hence the sales. Both are creating the conditions for shrinking that TAM to PC. That will play out over a long period of time. The question will be what that TAM looks like 10-15 years from now, regardless of the PS/Xbox split. Wildcards aplenty within that time frame, to speed up or lower the bleeding as well as disrupt the split. What is key here as it regards to this discussion is the relative growth of high-end console vs. PC for the premium games market, not in TAM terms but actual platform ecosystem buy-in terms, with Valve/Epic's Game Store, representing the PC market more or less. It's not an if question.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • brain

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Do they have any stats on how many PCucks go on to buy a PS5 for the next installment? Without that, this is worthless. The money gained from meagre software sales on the pirate ship windows devalues the brand.
PC diehards will never buy a console just to play some games, They already had too many games on PC to play anyway.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Johnic

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
For folks who insanely hate this PC venture, I think you should advocate for more of this because Sony might learn a never-forget lesson when the console sales be damned by the venture.
Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
The high end console market has a TAM of about 180m (MS says 200M) but it's closer to 180m. PlayStation is consolidating that market, at the expense of Xbox.
The console market has remained static for many years right? Personally, I want Sony to somehow grow the console market further rather than trying to step into an unknown territory. But maybe they felt like the console market could not be expanded any further so they decided to jump into PC market.

• brain

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
When did I say that? They make the only good console. People should buy it. I have one. I just don't want their games limited by PS5. Games are better on Steam.
Didn’t you see that I wrote implicitly ? The way you talk is pretty telling for me PC kun, no need to hide it.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The console market has remained static for many years right? Personally, I want Sony to somehow grow the console market further rather than trying to step into an unknown territory. But maybe they felt like the console market could not be expanded any further so they decided to jump into PC market.

Well, that's due to sheer greed in a way. Sony had the perfect opportunity to surpass PS2 sales with the ps4 but they never lowered the price into impulse buy territory. If I recall it never went below 300 USD officially. And nowadays you have a lot more ways to monetize vs the PS2 era. Sell cheap 500 GB ps4 mini at 150 USD and watch it recoup money via MTX and subs.

And you have a new userbase ready to jump to PS5 down the line.

Sony HQ must be milking the PS division real bad to compensate their failures is other divisions as they are not as dominant in electronics anymore.

D

Deleted member 223

No, it fluctuates. Full console TAM is closer to 260 million under the right conditions. At some point it even went beyond that number, you could say the glory days of console hardware (includes handhelds).

PS/Xbox on the high end = 160-180M TAM. Nintendo adds another 120M TAM, effectively 80M-100M if you discount 20-30M crossover (very hard to measure).

• Informative

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
No, it fluctuates. Full console TAM is closer to 260 million under the right conditions. At some point it even went beyond that number, you could say the glory days of console hardware (includes handhelds).

PS/Xbox on the high end - 160-180M TAM. Nintendo adds another 80-100M TAM, discounting 20M crossover.
I mean yeah if we do consider the Switch as another console platform then console is very big.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Well, that's due to sheer greed in a way. Sony had the perfect opportunity to surpass PS2 sales with the ps4 but they never lowered the price into impulse buy territory. If I recall it never went below 300 USD officially. And nowadays you have a lot more ways to monetize vs the PS2 era. Sell cheap 500 GB ps4 mini at 150 USD and watch it recoup money via MTX and subs.

And you have a new userbase ready to jump to PS5 down the line.

Sony HQ must be milking the PS division real bad to compensate their failures is other divisions as they are not as dominant in electronics anymore.
no the PS4 Slim did drop to $199 on black friday since 2018

D

Deleted member 223

Switch is another console, not a question of considering. So is the Steam Deck.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Don't worry, Sony will learn the hard way once the Switch 2 comes out next year 😂😈 When they see the Switch 2 selling gangbusters, getting all the 3rd party exclusives, and having their 1st party games sell like hotcakes at full price. While Sony watches their PC ports sell terribly, all of their live service games flop, and will find themselves not getting the 3rd party Japanese exclusive games that they used to be. They'll become depressed and confused, that's their punishment for going against their own hardware and the undefeated traditional model. They should've saw what it did to Xbox.

Dumb people never learn from their mistakes = Xbox
Good people learn from their mistakes = Sony
Great people learn from others mistakes = Nintendo

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
120M PS4
55 M XBOX one
15M Wii U
60M switch (2016 2020)

Numbers aren't 100 percent correct but thats an install base of 250M consoles give or take. A decrease from 7th gen where you had:

85M PS3 + 85M 360 + 115 M WII: 285M

And both Nintendo and Sony had handhelds on that generation. They don't have them right now. So yeah, in terms of units, the console market has shrinked in an era where gaming grew as a whole.
No wonder MS and Sony started to rely more on PC. But I think that they could find ways to increase their market instead of just milking the existing users.

D

Deleted member 223

Don't worry, Sony will learn the hard way once the Switch 2 comes out next year 😂😈 When they see the Switch 2 selling gangbusters, getting all the 3rd party exclusives, and having their 1st party games sell like hotcakes at full price. While Sony watches their PC ports sell terribly, all of their live service games flop, and will find themselves not getting the 3rd party Japanese exclusive games that they used to be. They'll become depressed and confused, that's their punishment for going against their own hardware and the undefeated traditional model. They should've saw what it did to Xbox.

Dumb people never learn from their mistakes = Xbox
Good people learn from their mistakes = Sony
Great people learn from others mistakes = Nintendo
**Provided the hardware is powerful enough (close to Series S) to get full third party support, or strong enough for partial, greater than Switch third party support. That way it eats at PS revenues and potential PS install base.

**Provided the consumer is responsive to the platform, and not a Wii U situation.

If those things align, well, I will gladly enjoy the current idiots at Sony trying to deal with it. "More PC, More PC....".... sure bud... this way and by all means. The funny thing to watch is whether they try to double down on milking the PS user to compensate... that's when you know they're at a downward spiral with ineffective leadership and no answers, except - fuck it - in order to respond to pressure at the top.

And there is the Valve wildcard, always. They're getting fond of creating hardware, VR, the Deck.... there's only one thing missing.

artworks-P6zjqIlw3DgAyJyP-CQSIFA-t500x500.jpg