Horizon Forbidden West cracked and pirated within 30 seconds of release.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
There's a simple reason why PS games sell like shit on PC:

Most people have already played them on the platform they were designed for.

A two year old game on steam that's best played on a console most people own isn't going to move units, it just isn't. It has nothing to do with piracy or any other crap.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
If you don't want to pay full price for a brand new game on your platform, get a console. Easy fix. But you'd like to have your cake and eat it too. It's a brand new game on PC. Speaking in general here, not you.

What difference does the timline make? It's not a GaaS so it doesn't depend on day 1 hype and player numbers. SP games don't age like that.

Sony seems happy with it short term, yes. I can't find the source any more but they said in an interview the exact percentage of theirnprofits from these ports. Was high at the time but that was after the first Horizon game, which sold the most.

We'll see how it affects them long term.
All it takes s new ps managmenet or sony to stop ports if it keeps selling less and less.

Or if they realise console sales re slowing down, losing ps subs etc.

Nothing last forever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Releasing on pc - last few days:
HFW - pirated and sells quite shit. 26k concurrent.
DD2 - pcmr bitching about performance and inconsequential gaas like if the game was worst predatory gaas lol.. to the point capcom apologizes and will fix steam save system only lol. OH NO! A game uses their cpus to do something cool! I mean, maybe it's unoptimized, I am not a dev. I don't know. But leave it to pc player to either boycot a game or pirate it... for any reason. There is always a reason. At least it got good concurent player base. i wonder how much is it on consoles

Bet you capcom now regrets it. They could've made some shitty gaas and earn 10x more.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

A two year old game on steam that's best played on a console most people own isn't going to move units, it just isn't. It has nothing to do with piracy or any other crap.
The whole reason why they started the PC ports is to reach new markets and customers. Why bother if PC gamers and console gamers are the same people?

And people usually say the ports don't affect PS5 sales because PCMR would NEVER buy a console. Which is it?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
The whole reason why they started the PC ports is to reach new markets and customers. Why bother if PC gamers and console gamers are the same people?

And people usually say the ports don't affect PS5 sales because PCMR would NEVER buy a console. Which is it?
Neither.

Sony shouldn't launch or port any games on PC.
If they're going to, it should be the OG launching on PC before the sequel launches on PS. It's free marketing that way.
Sony are dabbling about to see what works and, what has worked will kill the playstation; launch day one on PC.

As for the second part, there's always a cross-over between console, pc and console+PC owners. You can't tar a whole bunch of PC players with the same brush of PCMR.

Ports do negatively impact sales and a lack of exclusives damages a brand, but it takes time. The proof is the Xbox.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024

"PS5 is breaking records"
"PC ports that don't sell are killing PlayStation"

I just can't with this lol..

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

So according to pc players:

A broken game with stealth microtransactions, abysmal performance even on high end machines, last gen graphics, denuvo (dragons dogma 2) - $70, A-Okay! Amazing game!
A polished next-gen graphical showpiece, complete game with DLC, no mtx, performs flawlessly (Horizon FW), no intrusive DRM - $70, a travesty! I'll wait for a sale, no one wants this shit, should be half off at launch

This is why PC gaming is utterly broken

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
So according to pc players:

A broken game with stealth microtransactions, abysmal performance even on high end machines, last gen graphics, denuvo (dragons dogma 2) - $70, A-Okay! Amazing game!
A polished next-gen graphical showpiece, complete game with DLC, no mtx, performs flawlessly (Horizon FW), no intrusive DRM - $70, a travesty! I'll wait for a sale, no one wants this shit, should be half off at launch

This is why PC gaming is utterly broken
Old game, basically full price, no marketing, no hype, no buzz, no discussion.

Sony is sending these games out to die.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Yall get what you deserve. So glad I have both pc and console, i dont have to put up with crappy practices.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
"PS5 is breaking records"
"PC ports that don't sell are killing PlayStation"

I just can't with this lol..
The effects won't be felt right away. This is obvious to everyone with half a brain. Look at Xbox.

Horizon and Ratchet used to be the best showcase when you bought a PS5 but now that they are on PC they disappeared from any conversation. Soon the library between PS5 and PC will be the exact same.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

There's been plenty of marketing online.

People seriously expect Sony to put together a massive marketing campaign for a two year old game lol.

Fact is PC is home of many F2P and obscure titles, just look at the most played list. Even Dragon's Dogma with all the hype it's been receiving only has a 200k peak when it's available for £38.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
The effects won't be felt right away. This is obvious to everyone with half a brain. Look at Xbox.

Horizon and Ratchet used to be the best showcase when you bought a PS5 but now that they are on PC they disappeared from any conversation. Soon the library between PS5 and PC will be the exact same.

The problem with your argument is that PlayStation isn't Xbox.

The Xbox was already in decline since the PS3 started outselling the 360. The PS5 is actually selling faster than the PS4.

I've said it before just because two companies do the same thing or even similar things doesn't mean the results will be the same.

Ratchet barely sold on the PS5. Horizon disappeared from the conversation way before a PC release.

To say the effects won't be felt right away, when they haven't been felt at all, and the opposite is actually true, makes for a very weak predictive argument.

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
There's been plenty of marketing online.

People seriously expect Sony to put together a massive marketing campaign for a two year old game lol.

Fact is PC is home of many F2P and obscure titles, just look at the most played list. Even Dragon's Dogma with all the hype it's been receiving only has a 200k peak when it's available for £38.

I still don't understand why people try to point to CCU for single player games as a benchmark for sales.

I bought Persona 3, I'm about 25 hours into it, and I haven't played it in nearly a week. I also bought it well after launch.

There may be some correlation between success since you would assume most people would be playing right at launch, but it's a pretty lazy and flat argument.

Horizon on PC might sell a significant number of units if the TV show is a hit. That's plenty marketing.

That's exactly what happened with Cyberpunk and the animated series.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah
24 Jun 2022
Releasing on pc - last few days:
HFW - pirated and sells quite shit. 26k concurrent.
DD2 - pcmr bitching about performance and inconsequential gaas like if the game was worst predatory gaas lol.. to the point capcom apologizes and will fix steam save system only lol. OH NO! A game uses their cpus to do something cool! I mean, maybe it's unoptimized, I am not a dev. I don't know. But leave it to pc player to either boycot a game or pirate it... for any reason. There is always a reason. At least it got good concurent player base. i wonder how much is it on consoles

Bet you capcom now regrets it. They could've made some shitty gaas and earn 10x more.

We won't know because for some dumb reason Sony & Microsoft don't provide transparent CCUs for games on their networks. Microsoft I can understand; Xbox is declining heavily. But you'd think Sony would want to be more transparent with that type of data since it could be helpful and even could be a boost for games on the platform.

Not to mention, aren't these companies emphasizing MAUs now? And other player metrics? The way they talk about it, you'd think they'd know they are getting people in their own communities more tuned to valuing MAU and other player metrics. Even to the point they'd want to leverage those themselves. So why can't consoles like PlayStation provide clear CCUs and such for players to view on the network?

Is it out of some agreement with other platform holders? 3P publishers? Just a choice on their own end? I don't get it.

Reactions: rofif

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ratchet barely sold on the PS5. Horizon disappeared from the conversation way before a PC release.
Barely sold is still 20x whatever it sold on PC. Same for Horizon, 10 millions on PS4/PS5 but struggling to reach 300,000 on PC. Sony is not that poor, they don't need those pennies. A $20 sale on PSN would get them more money than that. They used to have the Greatest Hits label.

I still don't understand why people try to point to CCU for single player games as a benchmark for sales.
It is the best benchmark for sales on release. I'm not comparing with Counterstrike or DOTA. I'm comparing with the previous game, recent releases or other Sony ports. Horizon West is underperforming massively. It might not even reach 30k CCU 😬

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

I bought Persona 3, I'm about 25 hours into it, and I haven't played it in nearly a week. I also bought it well after launch.

There may be some correlation between success since you would assume most people would be playing right at launch, but it's a pretty lazy and flat argument.

Horizon on PC might sell a significant number of units if the TV show is a hit. That's plenty marketing.

That's exactly what happened with Cyberpunk and the animated series.
Yep CCU is often meaningless. So many people drift in and out of games, partly due to having a massive library/backlog.

People should also realise that games tend to have a longer life on PC because gamers are less bothered about getting their games on week one. That means some will wait for sales, but Sony already know that. In fact they have far more data than any person on a forum lol.

It really feels like Sony views PC as the icing on the cake. Chuck some games on PC after a game has sold most of what it will sell on console/has been on PS Plus, then recoup some money for themselves and their studios with some easy sales on PC.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Barely sold is still 20x whatever it sold on PC. Same for Horizon, 10 millions on PS4/PS5 but struggling to reach 300,000 on PC. Sony is not that poor, they don't need those pennies. A $20 sale on PSN would get them more money than that. They used to have the Greatest Hits label.

That's not the argument you were making. Your argument is that it was important to PlayStation when it wasn't.

Sony just laid off hundreds of people, almost a thousand people, because their margins aren't large enough.

You think of this as pennies, but all of this adds up. Why do you think Sony is selling Pulse Elite headsets and Pulse Explore, and Inzone Headsets of different varieties? All of these products are about margins.

It is the best benchmark for sales on release. I'm not comparing with Counterstrike or DOTA. I'm comparing with the previous game, recent releases or other Sony ports. Horizon West is underperforming massively. It might not even reach 30k CCU 😬

Except it isn't... Even comparing previous single player games and ports, all these games are different and all the circumstances are different which would impact CCUs.

What are people playing at the time? How many active steam users are there at the time? What's going on in the world at the time? Are people watching the Super Bowl? March Madness? World Baseball Classic? Did a big movie like Dune 2 just come out? Is a popular show like Shogun or Game of Thrones taking up people's time? Are people in quarterly close outs or year end close outs and working more hours? Has a game been released for a longer period of time than another? Has it been offered for free on PS+?

CCUs don't really mean anything. Like I said, they may have a correlation with success, but they aren't really a benchmark. In fact some games that have high ccu marks have low active players and vice versa.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Here's the question that I keep coming back to though, and bear in mind I enjoy Sony's games and I enjoy playing them.

Why are they so irrelevant to the PC community while games which are of the same general design released on PC are not?

There's only a couple possible answers to this.

1. The games aren't actually that good, and their appeal is largely relegated to the group of players which have grown accustomed to them.

2. Their price, age, and marketing relative to their release.

For the life of me I can't think of anything else. I just can't.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The first horizon game was a shit show on PC at release. I preordered it and I could only play it decently 6 months later after all the fixes. I think that players were waiting for performance impressions most of all.
The game is there, it's the best version and the to go one. It will sell more and more down the line for a long time.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
It's no.5 on Steam sellers, below the Steam Deck lol, and Counter-Strike.

So basically it's below Dragon's Dogma and Helldivers. Some people buying this to play in the coming days and weeks.