How many concurrent players will God Of War Ragnarok have on Steam?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
@RE4-Station

The chart you posted basically confirms the vast majority of their games sell on console, with PC having more digital sales than consoles (but less overall). That same chart shows that they had higher digital sales on consoles at the end of March 2023.

In the Q and A they outright admit PC players are playing catchup to consoles (citing 3rd world countries with weaker PCs) and that it'll take time for them to get there, meaning lower sales.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Doesn't stop xbox games from doing well on PS, years after the original release. That's just an excuse. Buy the damn games if you want to see more of them.
I'd go as far as to say PS versions of SoT and Hifi outsold the Xbox versions launch aligned. These GoW numbers just prove that PC players are only useful for GAAS releases. is what it is.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Indie budget Frostpunk came out today and it already surpassed GOW at 27k and climbing. The game is on Game Pass too 😬

Some perspective at how bad Ragnarok is doing because you lack any. It's awful for Sony's biggest IP in gaming.

Keep spinning.
PC gamers skew towards gaas. Honestly FP2 was received very well... shouldn't be such a surprise.

Nintendo/Sony are honestly the only 2 platforms that have cultivated a base that buys full prices single player games very often,.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sigh.... I was quite happy to see Sony do PC ports years ago, PS games always felt super gatekept by it's publisher.... 4 years later, all it has done is "make PS irrelevant" and sprout of a bunch of other disingenuous statements. I thought more players is a great thing for IP growth but turns out..... it was better when everything was just an exclusive. Crazy for me to think the gaming community would be mature enough to accept a more open approach to IP growth :ROFLMAO:
Agreed.
I thought maybe MP games on PC would be ok, but now that mindset is over. Platformers should keep there first party games exclusive, like Nintendo and now Valve

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
@RE4-Station

The chart you posted basically confirms the vast majority of their games sell on console, with PC having more digital sales than consoles (but less overall). That same chart shows that they had higher digital sales on consoles at the end of March 2023.

In the Q and A they outright admit PC players are playing catchup to consoles (citing 3rd world countries with weaker PCs) and that it'll take time for them to get there, meaning lower sales.
57% is the vast majority?

Don't forget in 2022 PC game sales for Capcom reached 50% for Q2 2022

The fact that PC almost makes up the same amount as:
PS5/PS4/PS3/PSP/PS Vita
Xbox 360/Xbox One/Xbox Series
Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS/Switch

with almost 0 physical presence is impressive and the fact it is almost all digital means Capcom doesn't have to spend money making physical copies and shipping them to retailers who also get a cut of the sale.

Despite PlayStation having the marketing deal for Monster Hunter World The PC version was revealed to have outsold the PS4 version overall worldwide when the numbers leaked in December of 2020:

And yes like you mentioned Capcom does expect the PC market to grow in developing countries and hope to capitalize on them but does doesn' change the fact that:

Despite there being 117 Million PS4 and 64 or so million PS4's That PlayStation doesn't make them as much money.

Despite There being 75 million 3DS's and 143 Million Switches out there that Nintendo doesn't make them as much money.

Despite there being around 50 Million Xbox Ones and 20 Million Xbox Series Console(Don't forget the Xbox 360 store only closed about 2 months ago and that there was around 85 Million Xbox 360's out there they were still selling their games on the 360 store.) that Xbox doesn't make them as much money.

And if this growth still keeps coming soon PC will be bigger for Capcom's growth that all Consoles combined esspecially if they find some success on Mac Desktops that have the M2 chips in them:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So Capcom hopes the game split will be 50:50, meaning PCs catch up to consoles in sales.

UK is one of the biggest PC markets in Europe. 65% of sales of RE4 remake are on PS. PC only gets 15.

What you posted states they want PC to catch up to consoles sales. Their "focus on PC" states they want to release on PC at the same time. Funnily enough, most of their statements on this are pre-covid, when they saw a boost in PC sales in japan, which are now dropping off world wide.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Indie budget Frostpunk came out today and it already surpassed GOW at 27k and climbing. The game is on Game Pass too 😬

Some perspective at how bad Ragnarok is doing because you lack any. It's awful for Sony's biggest IP in gaming.

Keep spinning.
I don't spin anything, it's a consensus agreed by everyone in the industry after many people analized many hundreds of games including their own ones and numbers shared by friends: CCUs aren't a good indicator to estimate sales and particularly SP games.

Estimates via reviews aren't perfect at all (specially in exceptions like review bombings), but are way more consistent.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
So Capcom hopes the game split will be 50:50, meaning PCs catch up to consoles in sales.

UK is one of the biggest PC markets in Europe. 65% of sales of RE4 remake are on PS. PC only gets 15.

What you posted states they want PC to catch up to consoles sales. Their "focus on PC" states they want to release on PC at the same time. Funnily enough, most of their statements on this are pre-covid, when they saw a boost in PC sales in japan, which are now dropping off world wide.
1. Like I mentioned 3 times now They already hit 50% in Q2 2022 for PC sales. Odds are they will hit it more and more down the line especially when Monster Hunter Wilds comes out

2. Countries in Asia are a way bigger market for PC gaming than UK which RE4 Remake on both PS4 and PS5 only sold about 175,000 physical copies of RE4 in Japan on both PS4 and PS5. Even if you include what RE4 Remake did on PlayStation 4 and 5 digitally in Japan I really doubt RE4 Remake opened worse than that on Steam in that region.

So just because RE4 Remake opening week in the UK was 65% PlayStation do you think that was the case everywhere else in the world?
and if all capcom games sell everywhere at 65% PS4 and PS5 and 15% PC then how is Capcom selling more PC copies every year than they sell on PlayStation 4 and 5?

Don't forget like I already said in my last post that Monster Hunter World on PC in territories in Asia outsold the PS4 version and the PC version came out about 8 months after the PS4/XB1 version.

Capcom sells 26.6 million Console Games both Digitally and Physically in FY2023
and sells 19.7 Digital only copies of games on PC in FY2023
and remember 4.5 million of that Console games is from Physical Game sales so when only comparing Digital only sales it goes:
22.1 Million Digital Game sales across PS4/PS5/3DS/Switch/360/XB1/XBS
to 19.7 Million Digital PC sales

But forget about that, Capcom is a business and as a business they car about what makes them the most money and as of FY2023, PC makes the most money (Page 4 from Capcom's fact book for FY2023)

But I don't get why you are keep coming at me with PC is playing catch up to consoles? That is not what this is about.
So many people on this site lately have been saying PC gamers pirate everything but yet Capcom (Which is one of the few gaming companies right now breaking records and having a lot of success while almost everybody else is laying off employees and shutting down studios.) Sells more games on PC then they do on PlayStation which is their biggest Console provider.

Once Capcom Games start selling more on PC Which it is already almost there.

So why all the comments about how PC players are all pirates? How is stream one of the biggest private companies in the world if all everybody does is pirate software from them and never buy games off of steam which is my point?

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
@RE4-Station You should look at the actual revenue figures between platforms; units don't tell the whole story. On average, per-copy PC is contributing notably lower to Capcom's fiscals than PlayStation and Nintendo, and there aren't enough in sheer volume of PC units being moved to make up the difference.

Very convenient when people want to use unit sales and not revenue, or revenue but not unit sales :/

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
@RE4-Station You should look at the actual revenue figures between platforms; units don't tell the whole story. On average, per-copy PC is contributing notably lower to Capcom's fiscals than PlayStation and Nintendo, and there aren't enough in sheer volume of PC units being moved to make up the difference.

Very convenient when people want to use unit sales and not revenue, or revenue but not unit sales :/
Shit I posted the wrong pic. (I Edited my other post to put the right one in as well.)
Here is from Capcom's fact book for 2023 page 4:

as you can see PC makes them the most money except in 2020.
I don't know if this link will work but if it does it's on slide 93: https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2023/annual_2023_01.pdf

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
PC versions of Capcom games are sold in name-your-price bundles every few weeks. Starting at $1. Indie Humble and Fanatical keeps doing them.

The amount of keys sold are meaningless. Literally thousands of them are distributed on eneba and keysites.
Still is Capcom's biggest revenue driver (Except in 2020 where it barely lost to Console sales:

I don't know if this link will work but if it does it's on slide 93 (Page 4 of Capcom Fact Book 2023): https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2023/annual_2023_01.pdf

Last edited:

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I thought 20k was too little, but I believe the time of year, the lack of hype and the weak marketing contributed to this, but ok, the game will continue to sell anyway

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I thought 20k was too little, but I believe the time of year, the lack of hype and the weak marketing contributed to this, but ok, the game will continue to sell anyway
I wonder if it's just the stink of the HellDivers II PSN fiasco playing a part.
What Sony did with HellDivers II was messy on steam but with this game they gave us plenty of warning you will need a PSN to play this game which might be a turn off for some but shouldn't be for a lot of people.

Maybe other things like Wukong having a great WOM might be playing a part. Horizon: Forbidden West was overshadowed by Elden Ring but that was literally a week after Horizon and it's been like a month since Wukong.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Still is Capcom's biggest revenue driver (Except in 2020 where it barely lost to Console sales:
I'm trying to think what came out in 2023 besides Resident Evil 4 and SF6. You really think both of these games sold better on PC than PS4+PS5?

It doesn't match with any data that we have in any market. US/Canada, UK and Europe sold best on PS.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I wonder if it's just the stink of the HellDivers II PSN fiasco playing a part.
What Sony did with HellDivers II was messy on steam but with this game they gave us plenty of warning you will need a PSN to play this game which might be a turn off for some but shouldn't be for a lot of people.

Maybe other things like Wukong having a great WOM might be playing a part. Horizon: Forbidden West was overshadowed by Elden Ring but that was literally a week after Horizon and it's been like a month since Wukong.
HFW having a higher number of simultaneous players is a sign that Sony did something very wrong in promoting GoW R, but even so, I hope the number grows over time.

Reactions: RE4-Station