IGN receives marching orders from Xbox HQ: "Build a PC as powerful as PS5 Pro"

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
What you folks don't understand is that these kind of exercises are done all the time with all hardware. It has nothing to do with Sony in particular. Comparisons were made even vs the Switch.

I think the only time in gaming history where you could build a comparable PC and get really close to a console at launch in price, was in 2014 after Maxwell released. But that's because the Xbox one and PS4 were pretty weak and PC hardware had a massive advantage due to the very long 7th generation.

At the end of the 7th generation Entry level cards like the 7750 were maxing console ports at 1080p and the weakest CPU ran circles around the jaguar cores. Even pentium dual cores or FX chips. For hard drives you didn't need anything special either and 8gb RAM was standard.

It was even easier to build an Xbox one killer as it was 100 USD more and weaker.

Back then, PCs were an even better alternative because consoles had no BC.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Landiri

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
In Europe it's 1.3x.
where's the case fans and thermal paste? dualsense is also 70 euro. That pushes it up to 1200 eu$, or +400eu$ vs ps5pro. you were complaining that you could only make a pc for +400eu$ vs the ps5, now the ps5 pro requires +400eu$ again you're complaining?

the deeper problem isn't prices increasing. it's the fact that companies keep raising prices and people's earnings aren't matching. the companies make all the profit and the workers don't see any of that. Since covid the stock market has over doubled, that means rich people got over twice as much money, but us regular people saw maybe a 10% pay raise. That's why people are upset, not because it's $700. people should go on general strike more and take back their productivity share.

Reactions: Luffy123 and Umar

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
where's the case fans and thermal paste? dualsense is also 70 euro. That pushes it up to 1200 eu$, or +400eu$ vs ps5pro. you were complaining that you could only make a pc for +400eu$ vs the ps5, now the ps5 pro requires +400eu$ again you're complaining?

the deeper problem isn't prices increasing. it's the fact that companies keep raising prices and people's earnings aren't matching. the companies make all the profit and the workers don't see any of that. Since covid the stock market has over doubled, that means rich people got over twice as much money, but us regular people saw maybe a 10% pay raise. That's why people are upset, not because it's $700. people should go on general strike more and take back their productivity share.

That's because COVID was an open door for big daddy/welfare style governments to operate. With stimulus checks and all types of spending.

That caused inflation and in an economy where you have inflation it's harder for the consumer to read market signals, such as price. So you buy and buy in fear. Companies raise prices "because of inflation" While that's partially true, they also increase profitability beyond what typically could.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's literally a persecution complex.

Anything that may possibly not put their preferred plastic in good light is deemed heretical. Truly bizarre behavior.

No complex.

It’s just rich coming from you folks who recommend getting a PC instead when in reality it is more expensive.

“Don’t get the PS5 Pro. It’s too expensive for 700 dollars. You can build a PC with the same specs for 1300 dollars. It’s a much better option”

Ridiculous.

Just give it a rest and enjoy your plastic boxes. Let us enjoy ours.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
It’s just rich coming from you folks who recommend getting a PC.
I'm a console gamer (PS5). I don't recommend anything considering different solutions fit different people.

It's just a persecution complex. PlayStation marketing has created little caveman tribalists who will go to war with anyone who crosses edge boundaries.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
I'm a console gamer (PS5). I don't recommend anything considering different solutions fit different people.

It's just a persecution complex. PlayStation marketing has created little caveman tribalists who will go to war with anyone who crosses edge boundaries.
It is always the PC-Gamers who come into Console-Communities, talking about "My PC does this and that", though.
I never saw Console Gamers invade PC-Communities and start talking about hardware or price.

This is all a PC-Gamer thing, being endlessly obsessed with their hardware, attempting to justify the money they spend on it.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
where's the case fans and thermal paste?

There's no need for thermal paste, the cooler is included and has a thermal pad. Case fans sure, spend 2.5€ more on a 140mm fan.

dualsense is also 70 euro. That pushes it up to 1200 eu$, or +400eu$ vs ps5pro
It's referenced in my post, total cost with Dualsense is 1030€.

1130/800 = 1.4.

Though for most Europeans upgrading from the PS5 the cost is really 920€ unless they're willing to part from their disc games.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
There's no need for thermal paste, the cooler is included and has a thermal pad. Case fans sure, spend 2.5€ more on a 140mm fan.

It's referenced in my post, total cost with Dualsense is 1030€.

1130/800 = 1.4.

Though for most Europeans upgrading from the PS5 the cost is really 920€ unless they're willing to part from their disc games.

Have you forgot that a PC needs to be built?

Can the average person do that? If not you need to pay someone to do it.

Ridiculous to call this an alternative to PS5 Pro.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Landiri

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What you folks don't understand is that these kind of exercises are done all the time with all hardware. It has nothing to do with Sony in particular. Comparisons were made even vs the Switch.
Don't tell me there's not even a bit of persecution complex. I mean... Marching orders. C'mon...
Sure but this PS5 Pro madness is above and beyond. It's not an article here and there. From IGN to Bloomberg (Jason) to all mainstream media, influencers and gaming forums. Everybody is shitting on the PS5 Pro as if it's the most insulting product ever put out on the market.

I had no interest to get a Pro but now I want to get it just to spite them.

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
Sure but this PS5 Pro madness is above and beyond. It's not an article here and there. From IGN to Bloomberg (Jason) to all mainstream media, influencers and gaming forums. Everybody is shitting on the PS5 Pro as if it's the most insulting product ever put out on the market.

It is the best PR they could get.

Even PC and Xbox-Players can't stop talking about it :sneaky:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

The issue isn’t even people shitting on the PS5 Pro or the price.

It’s the fact that they are talking about PC as an alternative which is more expensive and less convenient.

They want us out of the frying pan and into the fire.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's because COVID was an open door for big daddy/welfare style governments to operate. With stimulus checks and all types of spending.

That caused inflation and in an economy where you have inflation it's harder for the consumer to read market signals, such as price. So you buy and buy in fear. Companies raise prices "because of inflation" While that's partially true, they also increase profitability beyond what typically could.
The real welfare was to corporations and banks. They literally got trillions of dollars in get-out-of-jail-free money to bail them out of asset bubbles that they themselves created, while the people got jack shit. You think a $1200 stimulus is going to cause 50% inflation? LOL

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I think it's because of the 700 USD/ 800 EUR figure. 700 USD is not unreasonable in theory for the HW it packs, but it's not a price point you are used to see in a console. It's the first console of the post COVID era.

Also The way I see it the PS5 Pro is just one of the many upcoming devices that will illustrate that the graphics arms race is making less and less sense in videogames. Paid the price for showing there first.

Do you think games media wouldn't react the same way if a new more powerful xbox released (where are the games?) How do you think the media reacted since 2019 onwards to overpriced GPUs?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think it's because of the 700 USD/ 800 EUR figure. 700 USD is not unreasonable in theory for the HW it packs, but it's not a price point you are used to see in a console. It's the first console of the post COVID era.

Also The way I see it the PS5 Pro is just one of the many upcoming devices that will illustrate that the graphics arms race is making less and less sense in videogames. Paid the price for showing there first.

Do you think games media wouldn't react the same way if a new more powerful xbox released (where are the games?) How do you think the media reacted since 2019 onwards to overpriced GPUs?
IMG_4677.jpeg

No1 really cared with this price.
People complained about the Nvida price increase, but the media has been insane and exaggerated with PS5 Pro

Last edited: