IGN receives marching orders from Xbox HQ: "Build a PC as powerful as PS5 Pro"

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Hate on IGN all you want, but the hard truth is this:

It's absolutely bonkers that a PC build with brand new components is able to match or surpass a newly-released console's performance within 30% of the latter's cost.

When the 400€ PS5 released in 2020 a similar PC with 8-core Zen2, RX6700 XT and 1TB NVMe couldn't be made for less than 1500€, and still the PS5's storage was much faster.

In 4 years, we went from 3.5x the cost to match the console's performance to 1.3x.
Give it 18 months and we'll probably be able to build a 800€ PC that is faster than the PS5 Pro for the same price.
In 18 months a 4070 build will be last gen, 5000 series GPU's launching late this year or early next year. It will ne pretty dumb to build a PC to match PS5 Pro specs at that point.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Everybody is shitting on the PS5 Pro as if it's the most insulting product ever put out on the market.

The price difference between the USA and the rest of the world is indeed insulting to the rest of the world.

As I mentioned before, the USA's price isn't that bad. 920€ ($1050) for anyone upgrading from a disc PS5 is just brutal.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Do you think games media wouldn't react the same way if a new more powerful xbox released (where are the games?)
They wouldn't react the same way if it was Xbox, they would say MS is bringing competition and doing something new. I can basically see the whole article in my mind already. Giddy, overjoyed and pro-consumer.

How do you think the media reacted since 2019 onwards to overpriced GPUs?
Show me all the articles saying to get a PS5 instead of a PC.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The price difference between the USA and the rest of the world is indeed insulting to the rest of the world.

As I mentioned before, the USA's price isn't that bad. 920€ ($1050) for anyone upgrading from a disc PS5 is just brutal.
Then don't upgrade or wait for a sale like you would...any other product? What's the difference with a console?

The upgrade is supposedly not needed why the big rush and tantrum 🤡

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Then don't upgrade or wait for a sale like you would...any other product? What's the difference with a console?

The upgrade is supposedly not needed why the big rush and tantrum 🤡

Do spare us the hyperbole. No one's throwing a tantrum, everyone's opinion is equally valid here.

I'm seeing much more of a petulant child behavior on the side of the people complaining over the people complaining about the duality in price practices.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Do spare us the hyperbole. No one's throwing a tantrum, everyone's opinion is equally valid here.

I'm seeing much more of a petulant child behavior on the side of the people complaining over the people complaining about the duality in price practices.
Sony: *puts out hardware that is reasonably priced considering its internal components and recent strategy of no longer taking losses on hardware sales
Everyone: "OMG TERRIBLE"
People: *point out how it's actually a reasonable price and how even DIY you can't build a PC for a similar price point
You: "Wow how come everyone else is being so petulant"

What's petulant is demanding a company to take a loss to conform to your unrealistic expectations lol

Let's take a look at what businesses that actually make money selling systems are charging for similar hardware:
hwexample.jpg

So it looks like they're taking about a 25-35% cut ON TOP OF retail pricing for their hardware, at wholesale costs they're probably taking close to 40-50%. We know Sony is either losing money or close to losing money on the base ps5 from recent financial reports, so are you saying that they are taking anywhere close to 40-50% in margin? Consider that TSMC raised prices on their wafers recently, and 4nm is about 60% more expensive than 6nm which the base PS5 is being fabbed on. Let's take a BOM cost of $400 for the PS5, then about $100 in shipping and distribution costs, which will be fixed or slightly higher due to the larger volume of the Pro. Previously I calculated the PS5 die to cost around $90-100. If the PS5 Pro die is 60% more expensive, you can add $60 to the cost, then you have to factor in the faster DRAM (14gb/s->18gb/s). And DRAM contract prices have been increasing. You can easily add another $40-50ish in BOM cost considering going from 1tb->2tb SSD (512gigabit TLC spot price = $3.70, x16 = 1TB storage = $60, then you get a discount for being a big contract). In total the BOM cost likely rose in excess of $100, maybe $120. So you're freaking out over an $80 profit on a $700 sale. I honestly hope you don't own a business because it'll go out of business soon if you expect everyone to take that kind of margin.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Sony: *puts out hardware that is reasonably priced considering its internal components and recent strategy of no longer taking losses on hardware sales
Everyone: "OMG TERRIBLE"
People: *point out how it's actually a reasonable price and how even DIY you can't build a PC for a similar price point

What's petulant is demanding a company to take a loss to conform to your unrealistic expectations lol

Let's take a look at what businesses that actually make money selling systems are charging for similar hardware:
View attachment 5569

So it looks like they're taking about a 25-35% cut ON TOP OF retail pricing for their hardware, at wholesale costs they're probably taking close to 40-50%. We know Sony is either losing money or close to losing money on the base ps5 from recent financial reports, so are you saying that they are taking anywhere close to 40-50% in margin? Consider that TSMC raised prices on their wafers recently, and 4nm is about 60% more expensive than 6nm which the base PS5 is being fabbed on. Let's take a BOM cost of $400 for the PS5, then about $100 in shipping and distribution costs, which will be fixed or slightly higher due to the larger volume of the Pro. Previously I calculated the PS5 die to cost around $90-100. If the PS5 Pro die is 60% more expensive, you can add $60 to the cost, then you have to factor in the faster DRAM (14gb/s->18gb/s). And DRAM contract prices have been increasing. You can easily add another $40-50ish in BOM cost considering going from 1tb->2tb SSD (512gigabit TLC spot price = $3.70, x16 = 1TB storage = $60, then you get a discount for being a big contract). In total the BOM cost likely rose in excess of $100, maybe $120. So you're freaking out over an $80 profit on a $700 sale. I honestly hope you don't own a business because it'll go out of business soon if you expect everyone to take that kind of margin.

Honestly I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at the reaction of the PC crowd.

“The 700 dollar PS5 Pro is expensive”

“Suggest you get a PC”

“Here’s a PC build with the same specs as a PS5 Pro which costs 1300 dollars”

“Why are you guys so petulant for disagreeing”

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
In short: buy a more expensive PC with inferior technologies and that in the end will still deliver a lower performance than the PS5 Pro. Honestly, if you want something superior (or not) to the PS5 Pro, then get an RTX 4070 up
Well, according to DF, a 4070 will only be about equal to the Pro.

I guess coupling it with a nicer CPU would give it the advantage though... But that does push up the price a little.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Sircaw and Kokoloko
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Jesus, based on all the comments in here, the PC mustards are shook
93gej2.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

What's petulant is to go into personal attacks against someone because they disagree with you over the price of consumer electronics.

First it was mocking people for being poor (how classy), then it was all kinds of name-calling assuming they were xbots, now it's "the PC crowd getting afraid" (afraid of what exactly? It doesn't even make any sense..).

This forum right now is like a group of bullies who keep changing insults towards the nerd and poor dude because the previous insult didn't land, and it's honestly a bit tiresome.

You're happy with the price you'll pay? Good for you. Why the fuck does that mean you have to mock to people who aren't?

Let's take a BOM cost of $400 for the PS5, then about $100 in shipping and distribution costs, which will be fixed or slightly higher due to the larger volume of the Pro.
The PS5 Digital costs $450 and you're claiming it costs Sony $500 to put it on shelves based on what, exactly?
Sony is obviously not losing $50 per every PS5 digital sold. There's no indication that they're selling the current hardware at a loss, especially after the price hikes.
Also, assuming a company with the scale of distribution channels like Sony spends $100 to move around a box is preposterous. They're not paying single package around the world prices from UPS.

then you have to factor in the faster DRAM (14gb/s->18gb/s). And DRAM contract prices have been increasing. You can easily add another $40-50ish in BOM cost considering going from 1tb->2tb SSD (512gigabit TLC spot price = $3.70, x16 = 1TB storage = $60, then you get a discount for being a big contract).
You could skip the gymnastics and just go to dramexchange to take the current prices, putting the 8x1GB GDDR6 at $37 and 32x64GB TLC NAND at $100.
RAM and storage aren't costing more than $160, probably less assuming volume orders.

So you're freaking out over an $80 profit on a $700 sale. I honestly hope you don't own a business because it'll go out of business soon if you expect everyone to take that kind of margin.
Neither am I freaking out nor is anyone selling me a PS5 Pro for $700.

I live in Europe and the price here is 800€, or 920€ if you don't want to discard your whole disc library.

I've said like 3x I don't think the price in the US is that high. It's right here in this very page of this thread.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
What's petulant is to go into personal attacks against someone because they disagree with you over the price of consumer electronics.

First it was mocking people for being poor (how classy), then it was all kinds of name-calling assuming they were xbots, now it's "the PC crowd getting afraid" (afraid of what exactly? It doesn't even make any sense..).

This forum right now is like a group of bullies who keep changing insults towards the nerd and poor dude because the previous insult didn't land, and it's honestly a bit tiresome.

You're happy with the price you'll pay? Good for you. Why the fuck does that mean you have to mock to people who aren't?

The PS5 Digital costs $450 and you're claiming it costs Sony $500 to put it on shelves based on what, exactly?
Sony is obviously not losing $50 per every PS5 digital sold. There's no indication that they're selling the current hardware at a loss, especially after the price hikes.
Also, assuming a company with the scale of distribution channels like Sony spends $100 to move around a box is preposterous. They're not paying single package around the world prices from UPS.

You could skip the gymnastics and just go to dramexchange to take the current prices, putting the 8x1GB GDDR6 at $37 and 32x64GB TLC NAND at $100.
RAM and storage aren't costing more than $160, probably less assuming volume orders.

I live in Europe and the price here is 800€, or 920€ if you don't want to discard your whole disc library.

I've said like 3x I don't think the price in the US is that high. It's right here in this very page of this thread.
i am confused here, you are offended by Poor dude comments, yet, you have argued for PC and 1,4x price of said PCs.

how to pay more, is make poor guy richer?

by the way, i am not sure that people are Poor man shaming, you got it wrong? how about, if you poor, you don't target premium things in life?
it is more than reasonable assumption if you are reasonable.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No one would mock people who don't whine and throw a tantrum when a product that isn't for them is priced above what they "feel" is "fair" - regardless of whether it actually is.

Because on the last quarterly earnings they say they're losing money per unit? I'm calling break-even on the disc model.
Actually there is.
hardwareloss.jpg
You also have to pay distribution fees for retailers. You think Walmart and Gamestop is taking $0 per sale?? Hardly anyone orders from the playstation direct store.
Those prices aren't listed by speed. 14gb/s GDDR6 is much less expensive than, say, 20gb/s GDDR6. For example GDDR6X (21gb/s) from Micron is estimated to be 3-4x as expensive as the basic GDDR6.

Well then complain to your government that your VAT is too high. Personally I'd take the increase in VAT over having our nightmare healthcare system, but you do you.