In their debut week, Hi-Fi Rush reportedly outperformed Forspoken on Steam

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
hi-fi-forspoken-1280x720.jpg

Xbox‘s surprise release Hi-Fi Rush reportedly outperformed Forspoken on Steam during both games’ debut week.

Xbox‘s surprise release Hi-Fi Rush reportedly outperformed Forspoken on Steam during both games’ debut week.

According to the Steam Weekly Global Top Sellers list on SteamDB, which lists the best-selling games on Steam by revenue made, Hi-Fi Rush came in at number 8, while Forspoken didn’t make the top 10.

The difference is particularly notable in that Forspoken has been supported with a sizeable marketing campaign, whereas Hi-Fi Rush appeared without any warning or prior reveal as part of last week’s Xbox Developer Direct presentation.

D

Deleted member 417

As much as I am looking forward to playing both Forespoken and Hifi, Hifi is very different from the kinds of games we've seen for nigh on 10 years. It makes no wonder more people are wanting to play a breathe of fresh air.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: adamsapple
24 Jun 2022
I think games like Hi-FI Rush gravitate more with the Steam audience, in all honesty. I mean look at what's in the current Top 10 Concurrent:

NameCurrent PlayersLast 30 DaysPeak PlayersHours Played
1.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive1,074,0591,199,684531,471,443
2.Dota 2546,183764,490316,854,619
3.PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS415,546465,423150,716,581
4.Apex Legends394,122413,670145,419,573
5.Goose Goose Duck355,119701,89889,882,395
6.Lost Ark157,691333,008129,123,584
7.Grand Theft Auto V150,772176,52881,669,615
8.Wallpaper Engine125,540134,45958,791,043
9.Team Fortress 2100,719137,75469,961,488
10.NARAKA: BLADEPOINT96,940124,91336,882,248

None of these are story-heavy games (GTA5 being in there is almost exclusively for GTA Online), they are MP-centric and can be enjoyed in short stretches of 2 or so hours while getting your fill with them. A lot of them are also very colorful and less "serious" types of game (well in the case of Goose Goose Duck), and run well on lower-end hardware specs.

Forspoken doesn't really meet any of those criteria, while HiFi Rush does. It's also less than half the price of Forspoken so, all things considered, it's not surprising it's outsold Forspoken on Steam. It's a game that caters more to Steam's gaming audience, it's a rather short game, vibrant/colorful, not really epic/serious in storytelling or being cinematic, seems experimental in an "indie" kind of way etc.

Forspoken's mixed reviews probably also didn't help, and while it's a niche factor, I have heard Steam has a problem with certain, <ahem>, "problematic" groups part of fascist communities who would have very ridiculous reasons to try suppressing Forspoken review scores or reception. Again, probably a fringe factor but a release as advertised as Forspoken would probably attract some of those types to counter it on fraudulent grounds.

I think what's more concerning are the completion rates for HiFi Rush on Xbox, apparently it's less than 1%. How does this keep happening? First Pentiment, now this game. Is it just a lot of big talk from diehards in that community when they get a game like this yet, none of them actually invest serious time into them? HiFi's like an 8-hour game, you could beat it in a weekend between two afternoons if you wanted.

• haha
Reactions: Banana and Zzero

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean the quality of the games already told you that.

PS. It could be true but that thread OP is not even based in actual sales facts but just speculation.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Zzero

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
what's the story here? One got abysmal reviews and the other didn't.

a 60 metascore is a deathblow to any new retail release. Once people saw the scores... surprise, no one bought it.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Not surprising. Forspoken is just another in a long line of overpriced, over marketed AAA meh. HiFi meanwhile gives me a very Dreamcast vibe, which is only a good thing. Thoroughly enjoyed what I have played of it so far.

Reactions: peter42O

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
think what's more concerning are the completion rates for HiFi Rush on Xbox, apparently it's less than 1%. How does this keep happening? First Pentiment, now this game. Is it just a lot of big talk from diehards in that community when they get a game like this yet, none of them actually invest serious time into them? HiFi's like an 8-hour game, you could beat it in a weekend between two afternoons if you wanted.

Thicc, you've been slipping up lately. Here's some relevant info that anyone can look up in a few mins.

1. The completion ratio for HF Rush on Xbox is not less than 1%, it's 3% for beating the final boss and finishing the story. I know that doesn't sound much but its a 200% increase.

The less than 1% you are talking about is the difference in what difficulty trophy you get post-game. The game has multiple difficulties and a unique trophy for each one.

2. For a purely academic research, lets compare between 2 popular trophy/achievement tracking sites. Trueachievements for Xbox and PSN Profiles for PS5 (I am registered on both, just a tangent)

3785 people have gotten the achievement for beating the final boss.
522 people have gotten the trophy for finishing the final chapter in Forspoken (it is not tied to difficulty from what I can find)

Note: The above results do not reflect the total PSN/XBL stats in the world, but they are a good sample as these 2 are the biggest known tracking sites for either platform.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They are both flops. Hi-Fi is not in the top 50 on Xbox (or top 100 paid). Steam is all Hi-Fi have (and the peak was only 6k). What a sad life for this game and Tango.

At least Forspoken was number 1 on PS5 until Dead Space came out. Now it's number 2.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Not surprising. Forspoken is just another in a long line of overpriced, over marketed AAA meh. HiFi meanwhile gives me a very Dreamcast vibe, which is only a good thing. Thoroughly enjoyed what I have played of it so far.
So it'll be dead very soon then. Which seems to be reinforced by the Xbox most played charts.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
1. The completion ratio for HF Rush on Xbox is not less than 1%, it's 3% for beating the final boss and finishing the story. I know that doesn't sound much but its a 200% increase.

Wow, 3% on an ~10 hour game? Damn, you showed @thicc_girls_are_teh_best how wrong he was!

2. For a purely academic research, lets compare between 2 popular trophy/achievement tracking sites. Trueachievements for Xbox and PSN Profiles for PS5 (I am registered on both, just a tangent)

522 people have gotten the trophy for finishing the final chapter in Forspoken (it is not tied to difficulty from what I can find)

For a purely academic research, Forspoken is an open world game that can take as much as ~40h to complete vs a linear game that takes ~10. You showed him!

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
For a purely academic research, Forspoken is an open world game that can take as much as ~40h to complete vs a linear game that takes ~10. You showed him!

Y'all be slipping if that's the case then, cause this is what I've been told:

Not if the game is just that good, GOTY contender calibre, I may even lose some sleep.......That was Infamous 1 for me on PS3, I could not put it down, just couldn't....

Also:

Main story: 14hrs
Main story + Extras: 20 hrs

But if you're a slow gamer, nothing wrong with that. Respect.

You showed him!

Thank you, here all day 😘

24 Jun 2022
Thicc, you've been slipping up lately. Here's some relevant info that anyone can look up in a few mins.

It should be higher, though. I mean come on it's like an 8-hour game. The devs made it pretty easy to play, there's little in the way of big fail states, good checkpoints and all the such. I thought the completion rate would be at least 10% if not higher.

The less than 1% you are talking about is the difference in what difficulty trophy you get post-game. The game has multiple difficulties and a unique trophy for each one.

Okay, fair enough.

Note: The above results do not reflect the total PSN/XBL stats in the world, but they are a good sample as these 2 are the biggest known tracking sites for either platform.

To be fair to Forspoken, it's a much longer game and probably a more difficult one, too. I wouldn't be surprised it takes longer to beat the final boss in it. I sometimes actually wonder just how high completion rates are in open-world games, though.

I see you do have a rough estimate of how long Forspoken is, but that's probably only if you rush through things and don't take any time to experiment with the different abilities, build types, let alone additional content. And who's really playing open-world games just to simply rush through the story missions?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
@adamsapple Even if it is 28h, we're talking about a game that takes as much as ~3 times to complete and is open-world to boot vs a linear game. But I actually wanted to address something else. This claim right here.

A $30 AA game outselling a $70 AAA game in terms of revenue

Now, as you can see, the current estimates put Forspoken at 113k units sold on steam, vs 102k units sold for Hi-Fi rush.

the gross revenue is 2.5X higher for Forspoken.

And if you doubt their methodology, never fear!

Also, you had mentioned somewhere that the top-sellers chart shows the highest revenue. This is true but, in your own fashion, you "forgot" a couple of things:

Global and country-specific

For a set of most popular countries on Steam, we generate country-specific top sellers lists as a default so the lists can pick up on regional differences in customer interests. By default, we'll show you charts for your own country if we have them. If you head over to the Steam Charts Page, you can switch to the global view or to another country's view if you are curious.

Q: How do the real-time top sellers chart work?
A: For each game, we roll up all the player spending from the trailing 24 hours, and then add extra weight to spending in the last 3 hours. That extra weighting of the most recent spending helps Steam to more quickly reflect changes, like a popular new release or a game trending upward.

Now onto trophies because you also made a point of those. Currently, 4.4% of people completed Hi-Fi rush on steam in the normal difficulty. There's an additional 3.2% in hard (which may or may not be the same people beating the game again). For Xbox, and assuming trueachievements is somehow trust worthy, 1% completed on easy, 4% on normal, 1% on hard, and <1% on Very Hard and Rhythm Master. The completion ration for the highest gamer score trophies is negligible.

On forspoken, there's zero trophies on steam that are granted upon completing the game, but on the PS version there's a platinum trophy. 3.53% of people tracked actually platinumed the game, 5.69% completed the archive and 5.46% defeated all four abominations.

The kind of bullshit nonsense you've been spewing is absolutely ridiculous. I'll repeat what I've said many times before - If you're not paid for the type of bullshit you write, you're really that stupid. It kinda shows though, since even GAF, the Xbox astroturfing haven, has banned you.

PS: I don't give a fuck about Forspoken, won't even bargain bin it. I'm enjoying Hi-fi rush.

Edit:

True true, the only thing against Forspoken's completion rate is that its a bigger game by its nature, I agree and acknowledge that.

But to counter that, only ~2600 people have completed the games first/prologue/New York chapter

Which is still lower than all of HF Rush's completion tracking.

My point is that I believe for a new IP that wasn't heavily advertised, up for pre-order etc, before, HF Rush is seemingly doing ok.

psnprofiles doesn't show all PSN accounts, so the absolute 2600 number is bullshit. Look at % if you want to be just a tiny bit honest with yourself. 98% of tracked accounts completed that trophy.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Hey man, the time it took you to find all that, you could have just read my post above yours to save you the hassle of needing to write that lol.

I acknowledge that Forspoken may have a longer completion time owing to its nature.

But the # of people who have unlocked the prologue trophy is also much lower than the # of people who have beaten all of HF Rush to its completion.

And again, I'm not counting nebulous percentages, I'm counting the hard number of people written on the websites which have unlocked the cheev/trophies.

~2600 tracked people beat Forspoken's first chapter
~3700 tracked people beat Hi-Fi Rush's final boss

And remember, only one of these games had a lengthy pre-order period.

Surely you're not gonna tell me that the prologue in Forspoken takes longer than 10~12 hours now 🤷‍♂️

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Hey man, the time it took you to find all that, you could have just read my post above yours to save you the hassle of needing to write that lol.

I acknowledge that Forspoken may have a longer completion time owing to its nature.

But the # of people who have unlocked the prologue trophy is also much lower than the # of people who have beaten all of HF Rush to its completion.

And again, I'm not counting nebulous percentages, I'm counting the hard number of people written on the websites which have unlocked the cheev/trophies.

~2600 tracked people beat Forspoken's first chapter
~3700 tracked people beat Hi-Fi Rush's final boss

And remember, only one of these games had a lengthy pre-order period.

Surely you're not gonna tell me that the prologue in Forspoken takes longer. 🤷‍♂️

Absolute numbers again, this time for DIFFERENT WEBSITES. Damn, you're really a dishonest fuck.

I'll reply: Absolute numbers mean fuck all when tracking trophies. Some accounts are private or semi private, and the way Xbox and Sony have their APIs exposed varies wildly.

• haha
Reactions: adamsapple