Industry and Video game layoff thread |OT| Any future layoff info please place in here.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
I know this article was posted somewhere but I didn't click on it because it's Kotaku (lol). It's actually a very good article. I hope it's making the rounds.

The journalist describes GAF/Era/Twitter/Reddit perfectly here:

Blue Check accounts obfuscated concerns over such an aggressive consolidation of workers and IP by espousing recycled Xbox talking points and stitched-together notions of community, as understood by its relationship to explicit and unwavering support for Xbox. “But Xbox needs a way to regain a share of the console market!” “This will actually lead to more job security and creative freedom!” “IMAGINE THE HEXEN REBOOT!”. A world was created in which the very idea of being opposed to the deal was to be effectively opposed to fun, too economically left-leaning, or just a hater. It’s the kind of hearts and minds campaign that would deserve to be dissected for its effectiveness if it weren’t so existentially terrifying.

Yup and that’s what that poster who got banned on era was talking about and one of the biggest issues with conversations surrounding this deal. If you were against it you were console warring, or you didn’t want reboots of old IP but the worst, and absolute worst was that if you didn’t want the deal to go through you didn’t care about the well-being of the workers or you didn’t care about poor people because think of Gamepass value.

Anyway, it’s been depressing not only seeing how many people were laid off but the manner in which they were laid off too. Sucks. Hope they all land on their feet

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
GEy9HwiW8AAI9z7

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Is Sledgehammer games also affected by laid offs? One of the tweets only mentioned Raven, Infinity and Treyarch

10 Jan 2024
I was away when the new broke, its staggering to think how much the MS corporate strategy has changed since the structural changes made to Xbox gaming division. Having CEO and CFO have a direct oversight seems to have shifted and accelerate the cloud strategy completely. Anyone who thought acquisitions would of lead to no job losses would be naive, i have been at a company who had a war chest and went on a acquisition spree. The steps tend to be aquire, integrate, handover, restructure....

I wouldn't be surprised if the next steps would be to move development to centers in low cost countries that offer government incentives (Like cheap rent situated in city centers and help fund the building) and lower corporation tax.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
I know this article was posted somewhere but I didn't click on it because it's Kotaku (lol). It's actually a very good article. I hope it's making the rounds.

Blue Check accounts obfuscated concerns over such an aggressive consolidation of workers and IP by espousing recycled Xbox talking points and stitched-together notions of community, as understood by its relationship to explicit and unwavering support for Xbox. “But Xbox needs a way to regain a share of the console market!” “This will actually lead to more job security and creative freedom!” “IMAGINE THE HEXEN REBOOT!”. A world was created in which the very idea of being opposed to the deal was to be effectively opposed to fun, too economically left-leaning, or just a hater. It’s the kind of hearts and minds campaign that would deserve to be dissected for its effectiveness if it weren’t so existentially terrifying.

At least someone in the games media has the pulse to talk straight.

Some of us have been saying this for years, most people just can’t grasp the concept of how a company like Microsoft operates. They have been doing this in broad day light too, and the way they have created an army of shills in content creator spaces and how their minions have overrun gaming forums even though they are BY FAR the smallest community speaks volumes. Smallest community, smallest impact games, least critically acclaimed games, least desirable brand, and somehow they have this much reach? How? It’s bullshit, it’s not something that happened organically.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

Childs play compared to live color revolutions but yes, to see some of it translate to the corporate, consumer product sphere is always a sad sight. Inevitable however.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023

When Spencer was asked about potential job cuts he said

“When I think about the teams that we can bring on, I need to support them and give them safety and a sense of confidence that they can go and innovate… And when they go create things, I want to enable those games to reach more people than they've ever seen before.”

The way this man minces words to sound like a good guy, which clearly fucking works, is just disgusting.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
When Spencer was asked about potential job cuts he said

The way this man minces words to sound like a good guy, which clearly fucking works, is just disgusting.
If people remember the tons of hate with Bungie acquisition from Sony and how it was super expensive, etc.

Sony did a retention plan to employees…. the whole deal includes money to be used to hold employees.

What MS did with their purchases? Nothing… they just wanted to get them and put a middle finger to employees

24 Jun 2022
Something I just thought about: @Yeona 's theory that ResetERA's mods & admin are especially harsh against female posters who don't "tow the line" when it comes to brown-nosing Microsoft or Xbox seems especially true, since it's occurred to me Windrunner is a woman.

They got a month-long ban for a sensibly-minded post; I bet if they were a man or if their gender wasn't specifically known to be a woman, they'd of gotten less ban time.

Once again, ResetERA's mods and admin showing they're about as progressive as an oil refinery in the middle of the ocean.