Industry and Video game layoff thread |OT| Any future layoff info please place in here.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Something I just thought about: @Yeona 's theory that ResetERA's mods & admin are especially harsh against female posters who don't "tow the line" when it comes to brown-nosing Microsoft or Xbox seems especially true, since it's occurred to me Windrunner is a woman.

They got a month-long ban for a sensibly-minded post; I bet if they were a man or if their gender wasn't specifically known to be a woman, they'd of gotten less ban time.

Once again, ResetERA's mods and admin showing they're about as progressive as an oil refinery in the middle of the ocean.
They like the aesthetics of progressive and that it is it. They are basically just Biden/Hilary neoliberals who enjoy leveraging a witch hunt while acting morally superior.

They ran out every single minor community who isn't an American centric neolib culture war fascist. They ran off all the "Bernie Bros" for being too sexist to vote for Hilary. They eventually have just ran off anyone who is male. Just went over here and had to laugh at the lack of self awareness

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
GEzPUyEXUAAfDgW

This pathetic biatch wanted her payout, desperately tried to make Sony look like the bad guys...got her money and quit the company. No tweets about devs losing jobs.

She was a union buster to the extent that official action was taken against her. It's no surprise that she doesn't give a damn about employees. I still remember all the Xbox super fans calling her their "queen" while simultaneously talking about how much better ABK workers would be under MS. It was a very transparent way to see how little they actually cared about worker rights.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Was just checking old screenshots in my library. Knew that this member wasn't banned for the first time calling out mods because moderation in ABK/MS thread on ERA. That's from last year somewhere in June

fFDxVnQ.png
I've said that much in this very forum, about resetera that is. They are not left wing. No left wing person would advocate for that acquisition, regardless of them being socially liberal or not. I actually think most people there that call themselves liberal are just pretending to fit in, since no sane liberal would side with Microsoft on stuff like workers rights.

Apologies for the semi political rant.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Was just checking old screenshots in my library. Knew that this member wasn't banned for the first time calling out mods because moderation in ABK/MS thread on ERA. That's from last year somewhere in June

fFDxVnQ.png

The last line about 'the principles the site was founded on' may explain why some people stay there. A belief can remain strong even when reality is completely different. Still, speaking out about the poor moderation there only results in members being banned. There's no way to effect change due to this. I hope people like the person you quoted eventually realize this.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
She was a union buster to the extent that official action was taken against her. It's no surprise that she doesn't give a damn about employees. I still remember all the Xbox super fans calling her their "queen" while simultaneously talking about how much better ABK workers would be under MS. It was a very transparent way to see how little they actually cared about worker rights.
It was obvious that they never cared about the workers, they just wanted Xbox to have an advantage over Playstation.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

fFDxVnQ.png
That person is just letting herself get run over by staying on that website.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
"Principles" the website was founded on? Lol...

The website was founded on a cancel culture metoo witch hunt by incredulous folk who opportunistically realized they could split NeoGaf by backstabbing Malka and make bank later down the line. The opportunity arised, and cashed in. That is exactly how it played out. That's literally the worst example of commercial opportunism by cuthroat snakes.

No tears to shed. Malka had it coming by allowing snakes run wild.... even after the split, and he enjoyed being around those snakes, make no mistake - ego booster on steroids. The only problem is that they bit him, and drew blood.

The kicker, Era is currently owned by a for profit corp, not an "NGO" or individual, "benevolent saint".

Those folks living in a different reality. Gives an all new meaning to Boutique "left"....

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I know this article was posted somewhere but I didn't click on it because it's Kotaku (lol). It's actually a very good article. I hope it's making the rounds.

The journalist describes GAF/Era/Twitter/Reddit perfectly here:

Blue Check accounts obfuscated concerns over such an aggressive consolidation of workers and IP by espousing recycled Xbox talking points and stitched-together notions of community, as understood by its relationship to explicit and unwavering support for Xbox. “But Xbox needs a way to regain a share of the console market!” “This will actually lead to more job security and creative freedom!” “IMAGINE THE HEXEN REBOOT!”. A world was created in which the very idea of being opposed to the deal was to be effectively opposed to fun, too economically left-leaning, or just a hater. It’s the kind of hearts and minds campaign that would deserve to be dissected for its effectiveness if it weren’t so existentially terrifying.
Best thing I’ve read about this situation, barring the post the got that Windrunner banned from era.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
They like the aesthetics of progressive and that it is it. They are basically just Biden/Hilary neoliberals who enjoy leveraging a witch hunt while acting morally superior.

They ran out every single minor community who isn't an American centric neolib culture war fascist. They ran off all the "Bernie Bros" for being too sexist to vote for Hilary. They eventually have just ran off anyone who is male. Just went over here and had to laugh at the lack of self awareness

it’s all fake and performative

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I've said that much in this very forum, about resetera that is. They are not left wing. No left wing person would advocate for that acquisition, regardless of them being socially liberal or not. I actually think most people there that call themselves liberal are just pretending to fit in, since no sane liberal would side with Microsoft on stuff like workers rights.

Apologies for the semi political rant.
They’re liberals yes, turns out liberalism is actually right wing, not left wing.
There’s no such thing as left wing in the USA.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
If people remember the tons of hate with Bungie acquisition from Sony and how it was super expensive, etc.

Sony did a retention plan to employees…. the whole deal includes money to be used to hold employees.

What MS did with their purchases? Nothing… they just wanted to get them and put a middle finger to employees

Yup. But MS does what they always do really and get Phil in front of the camera to say what people wanna hear and it usually works even though their actions never line up with words.

It’s frustrating to have seen how many employees were excited and now they’re laid off.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Irish gaming developer WarDucks goes out of business​

Company founded by Nikki Lannen folds as start-ups across the gaming sector struggle due to a decline in venture capital funding.

WarDucks, a highly-regarded gaming developer has gone out of business, it confirmed on Tuesday.

A creditors meeting is to be held on Tuesday next in Dublin to consider liquidation of the company. The news comes as start-ups across the gaming sector have struggled due to a decline in venture capital funding in 2023.

Founded in 2013 by Nikki Lannen, formerly a senior member of Facebook's gaming team, WarDucks has raised over $6 million in funding to date from backers that include EQT Ventures and Sure Valley Ventures.

The company launched a number of best-selling games across mobile, desktop and console platforms over the years. Titles included Sneaky Bears, RollerCoaster Legends and My Smooshy Mushy.

“It is with great sadness and a very heavy heart to say that WarDucks has ended its journey.

“We have had a tremendous 10 years with great achievements to remember including 6 best selling virtual reality games, our kids mobile game Smooshy Mushy which has over 3M downloads, a mobile 4X game with strong KPIs and a visit from Apple’s Tim Cook to our Dublin office.

“All of these memories will be greatly treasured,” Lannen, chief executive of the firm, said in a statement.

“However, due to market conditions we have had to make this difficult decision. We put a funding round together last year but it collapsed during negotiations and it has been a struggle ever since.

“The mobile games industry is having a tough time right now. More than one-third of video game developers were impacted by lay-offs in 2023 and it's estimated that more than 7,000 jobs were lost last year,” she added.

Lannen went on to thank her “heroic” team, investors, and advisors for their support.

Recently filed accounts for WarDucks show it made a loss of more than €1.6 million in 2022, which brought retained losses on the company’s balance sheet to more than €6.6 million.

The accounts also show WarDucks revenue plunged by more than 80 per cent in that same year to just over €100,000.

The accounts also show WarDucks revenue plunged by more than 80 per cent in that same year to just over €100,000.

Venture capital funding in the gaming industry peaked in the fourth quarter of 2021, with a total of $33 billion. Companies raised $454 million in venture capital funding in the third quarter of 2023, down 9 per cent on the prior three months, according to Konvoy Ventures.

Riot Games, the esports giant that employs over 300 people in Dublin, has also been impacted by the negative sentiment. It announced on Tuesday that it is to cut 530 jobs across the company with the Irish operation expected to be impacted by the news.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
its so funny how bloodthirsty people were for sony to go out and spend billions of dollars in response to activision merger but as we see that is like the least smart thing to do right now.

Microsoft bringing in these contractors for these big franchises is going to screw them in the long run. These games aren’t free money they cost an arm and a leg to produce which is why activision always offloaded the marketing to sony in the first place. Microsoft is going to have to continue to cut corners and find ways to keep Activision, XGS, King, Blizzrd all profitable and trending upwards which is going t result in even more cost cutting.

Sony is doing good, smart business, continue to work with external developers and if tthe relationships work out long term they can think about what it means to bring them in house. Arrowhead and Ember Labs are good studios to watch for.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
its so funny how bloodthirsty people were for sony to go out and spend billions of dollars in response to activision merger but as we see that is like the least smart thing to do right now.

Microsoft bringing in these contractors for these big franchises is going to screw them in the long run. These games aren’t free money they cost an arm and a leg to produce which is why activision always offloaded the marketing to sony in the first place. Microsoft is going to have to continue to cut corners and find ways to keep Activision, XGS, King, Blizzrd all profitable and trending upwards which is going t result in even more cost cutting.

Sony is doing good, smart business, continue to work with external developers and if tthe relationships work out long term they can think about what it means to bring them in house. Arrowhead and Ember Labs are good studios to watch for.
Yes, CoD is fucked. It’s going to die a slow, painful death.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Agreed, I think they need to pick up small but talented studios that can cover genres that their current studios don't.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Agreed, I think they need to pick up small but talented studios that can cover genres that their current studios don't.

Nintendo makes the most profit and they have like 8 in house development teams and a bunch of life long partner studios. Just buying a bunch of publishers is just such a bad idea if we’re even looking at embracer.

Microsoft is still going to have to foot the bill for 20k+ devs, marketing for all these huge games, development cost, and still seriously consider the pushback they’re gonna have to do to unionizaton. On top of that their hardware sales are in the gutter so they aren’t even making up the difference in subs or digital store purchases

It’s a house of cards for all these tech companies that grew too fast right now. I expect nothing good to come from this acquisition for Microsoft and thats not just me being a fanboy that just looking at the landscape of development and marketing cost of gaming right now. They were better off just trying to get marketing and gamepass deals like they’re doing with Sega.

It’s not wonder Kotick was so quick to wipe his hands of it.