Industry and Video game layoff thread |OT| Any future layoff info please place in here.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Player first, what is this nonsense? Blizzard is player last.
lmaoooo the only way anyone can describe Blizzard as 'player-first' is if they've never played a single blizzard game, they are NOTORIOUS for being extremely condescending towards the playerbase and ignoring player feedback for years on end

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
COD is one of those things where people will keep buying it in droves no matter how bad it gets unfortunately.
No, it may go a while on inertia alone, but we have seen that Halo didn't survive indefinitely after it went down the drain... Even overwatch got passed by other games.

A well known IP is not enough to succeed.

But the quality will go down for sure.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don't know if its because they suck at designing hardware or Xbox leaving the hardware business.

• Heart
Reactions: Ezekiel

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Disgusting company, disgusting fanboys. I wish them all the worse
Angry Burn It Down GIF by Cool Cats

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I know this article was posted somewhere but I didn't click on it because it's Kotaku (lol). It's actually a very good article. I hope it's making the rounds.

In the 2020s, Xbox has been working overtime to curate, project, and enforce a market image composed of good vibes and even better intentions. While its corporate efforts to engulf as much talent as legally possible continued, so did Xbox’s precise infiltration of fandom spaces and some media circles. These two concurrent pushes resulted in a landscape that was, at best, reluctant to discuss the potential harm of its acquisitions and, at worst, actively rejected it because Xbox’s “good guy” image and messaging had so thoroughly seeped into the foundations of shared community spaces and broader gaming consciousness.

It’s the ideation endgame of the console wars, a term I felt physical pain just typing. The us and them, the blue and the green (nobody seems to mind what the red does), the Xbox Community and the rest. This divide is one of the oldest tricks in the playbook, but Xbox has infused it with contemporary internet language and cosy vibes; “How do you do, fellow children?” in a kitten sweater and RGB headset. It ceaselessly pumps out gimmick hardware, ranging from controllers to minifridges to toasters. It uses free marketing arms like the Xbox MVPs to push them, reassuring everyone involved that not only is Xbox in on the joke, but so are you. Its social media presence is awash with cutesy community affirmations and gamer-first hashtags.
The superficial artifice of Xbox’s brand permeates every corner of video game marketing. It’s an endless parade of phrases that don’t quite mean anything and campaigns designed to romanticise and humanise the company’s seemingly bottomless appetite for growth at all costs. It so successfully emulated the aesthetics of community engagement and industry care that many chose to ignore or excuse its actions despite the clear contradictions.

Blue Check accounts obfuscated concerns over such an aggressive consolidation of workers and IP by espousing recycled Xbox talking points and stitched-together notions of community, as understood by its relationship to explicit and unwavering support for Xbox. “But Xbox needs a way to regain a share of the console market!” “This will actually lead to more job security and creative freedom!” “IMAGINE THE HEXEN REBOOT!”. A world was created in which the very idea of being opposed to the deal was to be effectively opposed to fun, too economically left-leaning, or just a hater. It’s the kind of hearts and minds campaign that would deserve to be dissected for its effectiveness if it weren’t so existentially terrifying.

The journalist describes GAF/Era/Twitter/Reddit perfectly here:

Blue Check accounts obfuscated concerns over such an aggressive consolidation of workers and IP by espousing recycled Xbox talking points and stitched-together notions of community, as understood by its relationship to explicit and unwavering support for Xbox. “But Xbox needs a way to regain a share of the console market!” “This will actually lead to more job security and creative freedom!” “IMAGINE THE HEXEN REBOOT!”. A world was created in which the very idea of being opposed to the deal was to be effectively opposed to fun, too economically left-leaning, or just a hater. It’s the kind of hearts and minds campaign that would deserve to be dissected for its effectiveness if it weren’t so existentially terrifying.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I know this article was posted somewhere but I didn't click on it because it's Kotaku (lol). It's actually a very good article. I hope it's making the rounds.

Too bad for Microsoft it never translated into console sales.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

The whole campaign pushing for that acquisition was extremely unsettling in how aggressive and omnipresent it was.