Internet required to pair disc drive with new PS5

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Xbox fans trying to push this is hilarious since literally every Xbox Series requires internet for setup
The Bone still won’t let you play DVDs or Blu-Ray movies if you don’t connect to the internet for 30 days, but oddly that has never been complained about in the gaming media…

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Perhaps you can explain to me what The reason is for specific disc drives to be put into a game console? That shouldn’t be an issue you just need to put one in to play your discs And updating a game console is a Little different then locking disc drives down to a select few vendors Lmao.
There isn't select vendors. It's a proprietary drive. Obviously only a approved drives if any will be allowed. So you would update like Ny drive in the world. Don't know what is so confusing to you

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Best solution is to not offer a digital-only console (which requires the patch in disc-drive). Problem solved, no negative PR, or spin for that matter.

But we all know deep down the reason we get digital-only consoles is cause Sony wants to fatten its bottomline, just like MS - by fully closing the software distribution pipeline... at the expense of the freedom you get with physical media and the markets outside Sony or MS's control. Just cause Sony doesn't push it hard like MS doesn't mean they don't co-op it - "fast follower" suits them well.

Bargaining 101.

Do not damage control for Sony here regardless of the merits of the complaint one way or another. Solution imo is simple: Kill the digital-only sku. Won't do that? Enjoy the BS then...

Proponents of physical media, whether they're discs or sd-memory cards need to stop playing argumentative games with folks online on this topic. Irreconcilable positions - so, stake your ground, and buy physical whenever you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
If I get the disc version of the slim, then this is not an issue, I suppose?

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Best solution is to not offer a digital-only console (which requires the patch in disc-drive). Problem solved, no negative PR, or spin for that matter.

But we all know deep down the reason we get digital-only consoles is cause Sony wants to fatten its bottomline, just like MS - by fully closing the software distribution pipeline... at the expense of the freedom you get with physical media and the markets outside Sony or MS's control. Just cause Sony doesn't push it hard like MS doesn't mean they don't co-op it - "fast follower" suits them well.

Bargaining 101.

Do not damage control for Sony here regardless of the merits of the complaint one way or another. Solution imo is simple: Kill the digital-only sku. Won't do that? Enjoy the BS then...

Proponents of physical media, whether they're discs or sd-memory cards need to stop playing argumentative games with folks online on this topic. Irreconcilable positions - so, stake your ground, and buy physical whenever you can.
Don’t tell me what to do.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If I get the disc version of the slim, then this is not an issue, I suppose?
It will probably register the drive invisibly during the initial console setup, I’d expect.

This is just technically ignorant people and Stallmanite-types flipping out over nothing, and a chance for self-righteous twits to lecture everyone about why they should stick with buying coasters to install their games from.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
No one knows yet, People saw some text on a box and reacted i bet it will be a one time thing but as of now no one knows.
It's one time thing. makes no sense having the one that comes with the drive not having to check and the optional have check in. That would mean DRM

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
That's really strange....
I understand it's only once but still. that's not the point of physical console lol

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It's one time thing. makes no sense having the one that comes with the drive not having to check and the optional have check in. That would mean DRM
The pairing is about DRM too.

The problem is that let's say in a couple of years, when Sony gets tired of having some service on the internets they put off the validation service for drive pairing... you will not, by example, be able to get a discless PS5 off of ebay, get the disc and play retro PS5 games.

Ok, this may be more of a concern for my kids.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That's really strange....
I understand it's only once but still. that's not the point of physical console lol
It’s because the drive key has to be registered to the motherboard ID for DRM purposes. Since the new PS5 is modular, they can’t pre-register the key without it slowing production down by adding another step, and if a system got the drive accidentally switched before shipping, it would be misregistered permanently.

Making it a one-time process on system setup is the least painful way for Sony and the consumer, and likely won’t even be noticed except by those who buy the system without a drive and get the drive later.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Something I haven't seen people talking about, and maybe it's unrelated to the issue at hand with the new PS5 slim, but Sony has to pay a license for every Blu Ray player they produce (I'm talking movies, not when the drive is strictly used to play games). So instead of just going ahead and paying said license as soon as they produce every PS5, they set it up so that the user has to put in a Blu Ray movie and it will send the information to Sony saying that it was activated to play movies, then they pay the license. It's a cost-saving measure for them because they know that not everyone will use the PS5 to play Blu Ray movies, so why pay the license for devices that won't use it?

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters