Introducing PlayStation Portal remote, Pulse Explore wireless earbuds, PlayStation Pulse Elite wireless headset

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The truth is that the phone that everyone has in their pocket can already do what the playstation portal can and much more. This requiring a ps5 makes this an accessory on the same vein as the headphones they were announced with, so I'm guessing jim ryan's vision for playstation is just to turn playstation into a family of products instead of just a console.

I'd only get one of these if it is jailbroken to run android emulators and apps.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Yall don't sleep on the earbuds/headphones, it's very cheap for the tech you're getting. To me they are way more impressive than the portal handheld.
y_WF-1000XM5_002.jpg

I hope they actually get these things into the package and native app support for Android IOS. 30000 yen is like 75% of XM5's price, so it would be reasonable right?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan's marketing once again announcing new hardware via blog posts. I expect this to flop on a similiar level to psvr2.
PSVR2 sold better on its launch campaign bettter than PSVR1 (and most other VR headsets, maybe almost all of them). DualSense Edge also was announced in the blog and is the top 1 best selling accesory.

I can't disagree... I don't see market for it but who knows.

I agree with him, I think Portal will sell over 10M units (single digit attach rate for a console that I expect to sell at least almost 150M).

The truth is that the phone that everyone has in their pocket can already do what the playstation portal can and much more. This requiring a ps5 makes this an accessory on the same vein as the headphones they were announced with, so I'm guessing jim ryan's vision for playstation is just to turn playstation into a family of products instead of just a console.

I'd only get one of these if it is jailbroken to run android emulators and apps.
As far as I know there is no phone with the half of a DualSense on each side.

In addition to this, this is a PS5 controller so obviously will require a PS5. In the same way that a DualSense obviously requires a PS5 to play PS5 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtjay1982

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If folks are going to dunk on the series s dragging the generation behind, don't you think Sony could run into the same issue with a handheld that can play games natively?

Cause that could happen with a Sony handheld. Sony won't be going down the psp/psvita route of having seperate ecosystems, as it was a failure.

Sony also have extra work of managing 2 different hardware environments if they did introduce a handheld. How much support would they need to ask from Devs? Go down the valve route of optional support?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
This new link tech sounds like it may solve the current remote play dance of looking for your ps5, connecting etc. if it just turns on like a wiiu, they may have themselves a winner.

PSP

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
I anticipated Bluetooth support and PS5 cloud streaming to be absolute no-brainer features that would be painfully obvious to have, but I guess Sony disagreed. And no local play or media playback whatsoever, meaning no way of playing normal videos or even music on the thing, which MIGHT also put a nail in the coffin for any hope of modding this into anything actually useful to more people.

This thing will be discontinued within a year after launch.

Reactions: nongkris

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I anticipated Bluetooth support and PS5 cloud streaming to be absolute no-brainer features that would be painfully obvious to have, but I guess Sony disagreed. And no local play or media playback whatsoever, meaning no way of playing normal videos or even music on the thing, which MIGHT also put a nail in the coffin for any hope of modding this into anything actually useful to more people.

Regular Bluetooth latency is unacceptable for gaming tho

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

yep, this is like if Google released a $199 tablet that could only watch YouTube videos. Why buy this when you can already do the same thing better on other devices.

Reactions: Mild Conviction

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Remote play on phones is bad.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Good, PS Portal is cheaper than I expected.

But feels weird to see no cloud gaming support and apparently to require internet connection for Remote Play. I'd have included cloud gaming directly from PS+ servers to PS Portal without using a PS5, and to make (or at least allow an option to) direct PS5 to PS Portal Remote Play without using Internet or a router. But well, I assume these couple of things may be added later with a firmware update.

This product also is lacking features compared to a car. But guess what, this product doesn't aim to be a car or a Steam Deck or to compete against them: it's a DualSense with screen for Remote Play instead.
Well then Sony are not only stupid in face of Deck encroaching on console market, but they're actively involved in giving their games to Steam/Deck. They're building a current competitor and building their future better than their own.

Yeah, I get what it is that they are making? And it's shit. My opinion isn't negated by restating what they're doing? I'm commenting on that very thing.