Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Most successful games industry exec in history - but a terrible misstep on porting to PC.

Lmao at those thinking he was pushed or forced out. Dude legit printed money for Sony. Can't say I'm sorry to see him go, however. We need someone who loves back compat and hates PC.
Someone to push for backwards compatibility would be great now 'who would want to play that' is leaving

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
My guess is that grueilla guy, Shuhei old and kinda irrelevant.

Urata, he is just not familiar with the brand.
Not familiar with the brand. 🤦🏻‍♂️
He was working as Capcom CEO most of his life in the gaming industry followed by previously working for MS.

Square Enix new president Takashi Kiryuu worked never before at a gaming company. He was hired by a Metaverse company…
Takashi Kiryuu still became new Square Enix CEO

Reactions: Umar and Bryank75

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Jim been with PlayStation since the PS1 so makes since that he would retire with that long tenure. The man brought in the most money for PlayStation ever, continue the growth of the mindshare to this gigantic juggernaut it is now and he knew the importance of exclusives and close ties of 3rd party IPs to the PS brand. He understood that games are what make the selling point for a console. ON THE FLIP SIDE, the man has the personality of a rock and is horrid at PR. Lol. Good thing he doesn't open his mouth as much as that clown Phil Spencer. Big question obviously is who will Sony tap as the new CEO of PS? Will they continue with a Western hire or go back to home base with a Japanese CEO? Remember during the turmoil of PS3 the Western branch of PS was fighting for more say within the division and got it which led to the rise of PS4 into PS5. Overall, it'll be a wait and see for the new CEO announcement.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
kevinbutlerignjpg-9b3831_160w.jpg

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
If you look across the board at Jims plans, they were very short term focused.... increase prices, port to PC, make GAAS.

Not more big AAA story games that take time and investment, not full exclusivity to acquire more users and build the playerbase, more PC ports than new releases on PS5. Squeezing money out of the existing playerbase in every area... game prices, subscriptions (2 hikes) etc etc.
I don't know how Gaas is short sighted

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I really wanted to see this era of jim ryan play out.

My nominations for current sony vet's to step into the role are: Connie Booth, Shu Yoshida.

Playstation alum that i would like to see come back and take the role if possible: Andrew House, Shawn Layden, Jack Trenton
But what about the greatest PlayStation exec of all time, Kevin Butler?

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
IMO it takes great strength and humbleness to leave a position of great power to just be with his family. Especially in the midst of Playstation's most successful and profitable years ever.

I may not agree with a lot of stuff Sony's been doing lately, but it's a fact that Sony delivered in the hardware and software this generation, despite a pandemic. Jim definitely deserves credit for that.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I bet hermen is next, they'll make ted price the next head of WWS.
I really want a Japanese CEO of ps next.