Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You can bet your arse after years of criticizing him because he was CEO of playstation they'll now be acting like him leaving is a bad thing doing those mental gymnastics as always 🤣

Check out Ryan McCaffrey's twitter... it's just that.

I sincerely hope the next CEO fucks Xbox the fuck up.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Casually optimistic. The PC push believers are many, and it's a philosophical cancer fueled by greed foremost... the drive to make money at all cost regardless of any other consideration. It infects the brain and is pushed in many ways strongly by "investors", many of those in cahoots with the competition to steer the competition in a particular way - detrimental to itself long term - see ValueAct for Nintendo's example. It's takes big balls, and a bigger brain not to succumb to that pressure, and just be a follower of the manufactured tide. A policy must serve a long strategic aim - a sound one at that.

Jim was a slightly better Phil Spencer. PlayStation can not run on that. His retirement is welcomed.
Pc push is a two headed snake 100%. You already see people saying they will wait for pc version on steam sale and pirate it.
Less and less reason to get ps and ps games day 1 for some people because of that

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Pc push is a two headed snake 100%. You already see people saying they will wait for pc version on steam sale and pirate it.
Less and less reason to get ps and ps games day 1 for some people because of that

If you look across the board at Jims plans, they were very short term focused.... increase prices, port to PC, make GAAS.

Not more big AAA story games that take time and investment, not full exclusivity to acquire more users and build the playerbase, more PC ports than new releases on PS5. Squeezing money out of the existing playerbase in every area... game prices, subscriptions (2 hikes) etc etc.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
If you look across the board at Jims plans, they were very short term focused.... increase prices, port to PC, make GAAS.

Not more big AAA story games that take time and investment, not full exclusivity to acquire more users and build the playerbase, more PC ports than new releases on PS5. Squeezing money out of the existing playerbase in every area... game prices, subscriptions (2 hikes) etc etc.
Exactly. Very short sighted. Instead of building the brand and loyalty, he milked dry franchises with shows and pc versions.
Then gaas and sub crap

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Lot of fantasies in here, people retire after 30 years folks, its a normal thing in life.

I predict Jim’s replacement will come out of left field and shock the anti Jim crowd.
Prepare for disappointment.

Kyoji

22 Jun 2022
I really wanted to see this era of jim ryan play out.

My nominations for current sony vet's to step into the role are: Connie Booth, Shu Yoshida.

Playstation alum that i would like to see come back and take the role if possible: Andrew House, Shawn Layden, Jack Trenton

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Doubt anything will change.

Playstation will still killing the competition so yeah.

Also please don't be that Gruerilla guy, please.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Frozone
OP
OP
Abdizur

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Exactly. Very short sighted. Instead of building the brand and loyalty, he milked dry franchises with shows and pc versions.
Then gaas and sub crap

I'm partying all night.

My thinking is, the next guy has a 75% or higher chance of being better than Jim.

Dance Party Dancing GIF

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Exciting news indeed. But still, credit where credit’s due, business-wise, Jim Ryan managed Playstation well from 2019 to where it currently is, being bigger and stronger than ever. I know we gotta give credits to the past but can’t deny his management, it does not take much to fuck up everything you built off (Just look at the PS3 launch, right after the massive success of PS2). Hope the new CEO will bring in what the fans want. Ideally, it should be a Japanese CEO.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
He did what CEOs had to do. Brought in the money. Ps4 was their most successful console and ps5 is selling really well. Pretty good after the cell processor guy almost bankrupts ps at the beginning of the 7th gen.

Thanks for the PC ports. First time I gave Playststion money since the PS2 days.

As negatives, too much emphasis on western games vs japan and lack of interest in legacy titles and backwards compatibility. Ps now flopped.

Reactions: kuzon
OP
OP
Abdizur

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
I really wanted to see this era of jim ryan play out.

My nominations for current sony vet's to step into the role are: Connie Booth, Shu Yoshida.
Shu will retire soon.
It's going to be someone like Eric Lempel or Phil Rosenberg.

Reactions: Bryank75

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I have written a speech!

(actually, no. I stole a speech)

I hope we can get a really great, pro gamer, exclusive content focused leader next. That cancels all PC ports and buys some cool studios to add to first party and also focuses on hardware / consoles 100%.
I have a dream
I'm partying all night.

My thinking is, the next guy has a 75% or higher chance of being better than Jim.

Dance Party Dancing GIF
It's a 4 years cycle.

Eh nobody stick too long with the company.

My dice rolling on US/Japanese division CEO next

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75