Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is wild wild stuff. Seems quick and unexpected. Well some people just got their wish!

The question is ... what is 100% voluntary or was he asked to retire?
They were possessed by Microsoft’s management demon and forced him to retire for kicking too much ass.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Two reasons he's "stepping down"

1. Legitimate medical issue
2. He was forced to step down

The next guy may very well be worse, but this guy is killing the brand.
Or he's almost 60, has money and can retire a little early. Plus the next PlayStation will be starting its ramp up so the best time to finish would be before that happens

Reactions: Arc

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I wonder if Sony Japan is unhappy with Jim letting the relationships with Sega and Square slip and is taking back the reins.
Lmao you think they know or care?

To the management of Sony, Jim Ryan has had record breaking years and made PlayStation the undisputed biggest sector of the company

The only mark on his record is the ABK deal on his watch but realistically nothing Ryan could have done about it

D

Deleted member 223

Casually optimistic. The PC push believers are many, and it's a philosophical cancer fueled by greed foremost... the drive to make money at all cost regardless of any other consideration. It infects the brain and is pushed in many ways strongly by "investors", many of those in cahoots with Sony's competitors seeking to steer PlayStation in a particular way - detrimental to itself long term - see ValueAct for Nintendo's example. It takes big balls, and a bigger brain not to succumb to that pressure, to be able to understand the source and read it and not just be a follower of the manufactured tide. A policy must serve a long strategic aim - a sound one at that.

Jim was a slightly better Phil Spencer in many ways. PlayStation can not run on that. His retirement is welcomed. His work as as workhorse during the PS3 days in Europe will always be appreciated - that is his shine. His tenure at the head was a mixed bag - from a perfect made PS5 launch to detrimental policies and weak long term strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lmao you think they know or care?

To the management of Sony, Jim Ryan has had record breaking years and made PlayStation the undisputed biggest sector of the company

The only mark on his record is the ABK deal on his watch but realistically nothing Ryan could have done about it
You think they don't know?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Happy I Love You GIF by FilterYou

Totoki is okay in a temporary capacity. But we need Shu in there or someone like him.

I'm so fucking hyped, I really hope we get someone good.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I'm sure this forum will be quite happy. PlayStation could play this very smartly depending on who they replace him with. They could blame all the bad PR lately on him.

Also, I'm sure the Xbox fanboys will argue that him leaving is a sign that PlayStation is dying, lol.
You can bet your arse after years of criticizing him because he was CEO of playstation they'll now be acting like him leaving is a bad thing doing those mental gymnastics as always 🤣

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
he produced nothing, just air. guy have no clue how to manage Playstation. when all those GaaS will bomb, all eyes will be on a new guy.
we worked for books and for his pension. that's all.
Where are all the new gemes. Feels like Sony would not make new ip like uncharted nowadays