Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
It seems the PlayStation "Nation" really hated the guy uh?

My 3 scenarios:

1. Sony is not happy with Jim's vision

2. Jim is old and he doesn't wanna fight the most brutal fight in his entire career.

3.He has his plan in place (the next 4 years are plan out) Sony is fine with it. The next guy's plan is for next gen.

OP
OP
Abdizur

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
Fuck, he needs to stay through this gaas initiative, PlayStation needs great multiplayer games again. Hopefully another European replaces him, or a Japanese exec but please God no more Americans.
Nothing will change. He isn't the only one who's making decisions at Sony.
They will keep growing and expanding. GaaS/MP games are here to stay. PC ports and mobile games are more important than ever before. Don't expect any big changes.

Kyoji

22 Jun 2022
To some of the folk shitting on Jim, dont forget if it wasnt for him, identifying partners PS worked well with in the past they may not be first party right now if it were other leadership. Housemarque, Bluepoint, Insomniac, Bungie (not crazy about this one) but all significant additions IMO. I also think firesprite will be a future ACE card to play, we will have to see. Haven studios?... hmm jury is still out on them but i hope they will turn out great.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Why I should be the CEO of SIE.

First, I will exterminate all the green rats in Japan, there is like 5 of them here, so it should be easy.

Second, I will install malware on Sony first party on PC so it will blows up and kill the users.
PC masterrace explooooode.

Third, I will KEEP SONY GREAT by buying Nintendo, and then relesing the ultimate Nintendo handheld that play Zelda at 8K 60fps, where you can fully watch Zelda's ass.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm just glad he's out, he's always rubbed me the wrong way and I can tell he isn't a gamer just an asshat exec.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't think people give him enough credit for how innovative the PS5 is, and helped make PlayStation bigger than it ever was, even after a global pandemic.

Charles Esten Cheers GIF by Nashville on CMT

To a retirement well deserved.

30 years for the same company is a heck of a career, and he tops it off by being on top.

The next CEO will be in charge of the PS6, I hope we have someone with real vision.

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
To some of the folk shitting on Jim, dont forget if it wasnt for him, identifying partners PS worked well with in the past they may not be first party right now if it were other leadership. Housemarque, Bluepoint, Insomniac, Bungie (not crazy about this one) but all significant additions IMO. I also think firesprite will be a future ACE card to play, we will have to see. Haven studios?... hmm jury is still out on them but i hope they will turn out great.
Firesprite is actually PS liverpool, that studio got canned years ago, formerly known as Pygyonsis I think.

Reactions: Kyoji

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Leadership change will definitely leads to changes, regardless of how big or small those changes are. I wonder what the changes will be.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't think people give him enough credit for how innovative the PS5 is, and helped make PlayStation bigger than it ever was, even after a global pandemic.

Charles Esten Cheers GIF by Nashville on CMT

To a retirement well deserved.

30 years for the same company is a heck of a career, and he tops it off by being on top.

The next CEO will be in charge of the PS6, I hope we have someone with real vision.
Because although Ryan may have had an impsct in his earlier roles Kaz was the one to turn the whole of Sony around late PS3/PS4 era. Because of him PlayStation became the face of Sony.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If this is the case. something must be fucked up.
>ps+ subs stalled
>not his fault but lost abk
>pc ports flopping
>1st party pipeline outside of insomniac, ND internally rebooting factions at least twice
>closing japan studio
>psvr2 semi-flop
>square enix running to xbox
>kojima running to xbox
>embarassing PR blunders thanks to jim e.g. $10 upgrade fee fiasco
There's plenty for him to be nitpicked over.

D

Deleted member 223

>ps+ subs stalled
>not his fault but lost abk
>pc ports flopping
>1st party pipeline outside of insomniac, ND internally rebooting factions at least twice
>closing japan studio
>psvr2 semi-flop
>square enix running to xbox
>kojima running to xbox
>embarassing PR blunders thanks to jim e.g. $10 upgrade fee fiasco
There's plenty for him to be nitpicked over.
And those are not the real fundamental flaws of his vision and administration. But yes, the investor class will hang him for sub performance. Which is why you don't make your vision and pitch on console about sub performance metrics when you do not benefit from an industry shift going the sub way. Sony already "owns" the industry as-is under the traditional model. It's the other competitors trying to disrupt Sony's reign through a sub pitch who stand to gain the most from the sub shift.... thus the more you engage in subs, the more you legitimize the competitors pitch. I think for the most part Sony has stroke a balance (online paywall not included) but even that is enough for that metric to be used as tool against you. Btw, the competitors all gun hoe in their dream of pushing an industry shift to subs are failing, to huge costs to them, regardless of how they hide the fixed cost numbers of their expenses.

The real fundamental flaw is the idea that PlayStation must fundamentally change the way it does business in order to grow - instead of doubling down on strengths and refining and refining. Any competitor would be biting at the bits for that kind of stupidity - keeping quiet or cheering on of course. It's the approach that got Sony's PlayStation to the top that keeps them at the top and keeps the competition frustrated and being unable to make head-way, which forces said competition to crazy disruptive ideas to try to shift the game into another set of rules, at great cost to those competitors. "All in on gaming"... by all means. When all is said and done, Xbox prob has leeched well over 100 billion in the red for MS. Valve has also bled trying to keep up with VR etc.

Hardware is king.

Last edited by a moderator:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
And those are not the real fundamental flaws of his vision and administration.
I think from a business perspective the gaas pivot might be defensible, as much as core gamers dislike it. Just depends on how badly they monetize it. There are good gaas games like deep rock galactic (free battle pass, rewards go in loot pool for playing the game after season expires so there's no fomo, free expansion dlc, only monetization is separate cosmetic packs to support the devs and they're entire packs instead of individual pieces), and there are bad ones like destiny (deleting paid content, forced fomo, paid expansions+extra mtx on everything, fomo, underdeliver on everything)