Get Square Enix and Konami

Enough with Gaas and PC port shit

Lets do it

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Really surprised at this. Wow. Wonder what happened.

Stress from the Activision buyout and not being able to stop it from happening?

PlayStation fans not taking a liking to him?

Just normal Retirement?

I appreciate and respect what he did for the PlayStation brand in Europe. It couldn’t have gone any better.

Did not like his PS first party PC support strategy. Although that probably was a decision from Sony corp. It was Shawn Layden who first started to talk about PC.

Hopefully the new CEO pushes back on PC ports and goes back to focusing on PS5 only games.

And buy Square Enix already.

I have written a speech!

(actually, no. I stole a speech)

I hope we can get a really great, pro gamer, exclusive content focused leader next. That cancels all PC ports and buys some cool studios to add to first party and also focuses on hardware / consoles 100%.

D

Deleted member 223

I think from a business perspective the gaas pivot might be defensible, as much as core gamers dislike it. Just depends on how badly they monetize it. There are good gaas games like deep rock galactic (free battle pass, rewards go in loot pool for playing the game after season expires so there's no fomo, free expansion dlc, only monetization is separate cosmetic packs to support the devs and they're entire packs instead of individual pieces), and there are bad ones like destiny (deleting paid content, forced fomo, paid expansions+extra mtx on everything, fomo, underdeliver on everything)
GAAS is above all a monetization model with gambling characteristics, the game just being the vehicle. From a business standpoint it's something you should try to get your hands into cause it has proven successful and makes money for those that find success. But you go in with the understanding that the majority do not find success and flop. Thus, from a portfolio POV, you want to be very careful about the split of your resources. Ideally you want to invest in your differentiation strengths much more than in this segment where success is wild. My personal beef with GAAS as far as the PS porfolio is concerned is the degree to which the split is configured, on top of the PC support side of GAAS.

The PlayStation platform rests on PlayStation hardware, you simply can not devalue your hardware vis a vis direct competition in PC for the sake of profit/revenue that is, above all, not guaranteed.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Keyword for the new CEO is balance. The new CEO will be tasked with trying to create a balance within PlayStation handling the new areas (GAAS, PC, etc..) that the division has been expanding to and keeping the high quality of the core identity of PlayStation which is AAA single player games.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Who cares if he isn’t a gamer, you nerd. Lol What, do you want him to be your friend? How is being a “gamer” exec working out for the Xbox brand? 😂
Bite my.... Lol whose a gamer? Phil? If you believe he is one you have to be the most oblivious, out of touch nerd in the world 😂😂😂 don't be a 🤡 just bcus he wears a gamer shirt once in awhile and uses talking points doesnt mean he's a gamer.