Jim Ryan confirms that PC is a direct competitor to Playstation in FTC documents.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Completely false. It was substantiated several times, including a statement from Layden himself, that PC players don't buy consoles. Or not in any meaningful numbers. All you need to look at are PC sales numbers for 1st party IPs.

Layden has been out of the loop for several years, what would he know about PS5 adoption amongst PC owners?

Also how are you exactly determining PC sale numbers?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
And some people just wanna buy a one time box that is future proofed for 6 - 8 years, that they can just hook up to their tv to play games now and then.

Please get off your soap box and stop thinking every gamer cares about the same stuff you do.
If you buy a PC, even a midrange gaming laptop, it will play games far longer than any console. It's because consoles hold back game development that cheap PCs remain viable. Steam Deck would have a much harder time if Series S didn't exist.

Also my PC is prettier than my PS5:
PXL-20230922-143719264.jpg

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Yeah I originally had a similar opinion, but it doesnt take long to see they are not gonna buy a console for a game they liked on the PC.
That they believe will come to PC eventually.

Its giving Sony some extra sales and money for now, because what else is it gonna do. Of course its gonna be some extra money for now.

But in the long run, from what Ive seen and heard, its definetly gonna migrate some players to PC. Especially ones who dipping there toes in the PC space or thinking about it.

Which means Sony is gonna lose players who spend lots of money on 1st and 3rd party titles on the PS platform.

Nintendo doesnt do it, Xbox lost a ton of software and hardware sales when they went multiplatform, and companies like Valve and Google dont share there VR games On other platforms.

Its not logical to put your exclusives and reasons to own a PS on another platform. Because that money could be spent on that other platform. Xbox was dumb enough to do it, and market leader PS followed them.…
And...?

Who's only just waking up to this realisation today? Some of us been screaming about it for years and eating temp bans/met with "concern troll" or "muh sales figures" as replies by idiots who don't understand that faced with Steam's savings, and Deck's portability, cheerleaded on by Sony devs themselves, who the fuck needs a PS6 down the line?

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
And...?

Who's only just waking up to this realisation today? Some of us been screaming about it for years and eating temp bans/met with "concern troll" or "muh sales figures" as replies by idiots who don't understand that faced with Steam's savings, and Deck's portability, cheerleaded on by Sony devs themselves, who the fuck needs a PS6 down the line?

Im just making a comment to someone else. I don’t get what or who your arguing with?

Im not just coming to the realisation. Ive always been pro PS keeping everything exclusive.
Ive always said its gonna take time to see how many people have migrated away from PS because it won’t happen overnight, but a generation+.
And even though new people will be joining the PS platform, it will still lose fans/potential fans to PC as long as they put there 1st party titles are on other platforms

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If you buy a PC, even a midrange gaming laptop, it will play games far longer than any console. It's because consoles hold back game development that cheap PCs remain viable. Steam Deck would have a much harder time if Series S didn't exist.

Let it be known that Flaccid is stealing my pics online.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

You must think that spouting nonsense will somehow make you right.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Layden has been out of the loop for several years, what would he know about PS5 adoption amongst PC owners?

Also how are you exactly determining PC sale numbers?
By looking at the data Sony provides? Look at sales charts of any Sony game on PC and compare to console. A fraction at best. The best selling Sony game on PC is Horizon ZD and it only sold 2.4 million. The game has over 20 million sales in total. Other PC port sold less.

Unless I'm misinterpreting your "PC sales numbers" comment and you;re not talking about software sales.

@flaccidsnake

Come on, now. A mid range gaming laptop is not going to give you the same performance as a dedicated gaming console, with optimized games. It will play games longer, past a console's life cycle, but at what performance and what games? How many PC games are struggling right now, even with 3/4000 series cards, because of poor optimization? That's because consoles are a base for development and games are optimized for them, with VERY few exceptions.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Im just making a comment to someone else. I don’t get what or who your arguing with?

Im not just coming to the realisation. Ive always been pro PS keeping everything exclusive.
Ive always said its gonna take time to see how many people have migrated away from PS because it won’t happen overnight, but a generation+.
And even though new people will be joining the PS platform, it will still fans/potential fans to PC as long as they put there 1st party titles there

Sorry, not directed at you per sai. Just blowing off some Steam.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Jim going to PC is not an awful decision to a PCMR fan that wants the PC ecosystem to be the one-stop shop of every publisher in existance. Purely self-interest. Everything that is said around that is noise and cover. To the PCMR they gain something which before they did not have as a result of those decisions - Sony's top of the line exclusive software. Thus, championing those decisions is the "right" thing to do from their pov.

Consoles can burn for all they care (that is where the idiocy comes in - way too shortsighted). That sort of thinking comes about due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the premium games market as well as a lack of depth in analysis. Consoles are the premium games industry and what drives the premium games industry, not PC. There is a reason why Microsoft, the main stakeholder of the PC ecosystem, who built a monopoly on it, decided to build a console themselves, and not double down in championing PC in a battle lost long ago, where consoles became the dominant industry driver. Instead, MS with its Xbox consoles help the PC platform from the inside so the market can be shared with PC by extension, as opposed to being shut out, in effective terms, if Sony were to have continued on its dominance path past the PS2. PC is not a suitable substitute for consoles, and the industry can not stand on its pillars. Thus, it's in every gamers interest that consoles are vibrant, healthy, differentiated and competitive. Every gamer also includes those on PC that have similar consumption patterns to those of console users. Obviously that's too deep of an analysis for your average Joe that is just interested in having all the toys for himself and sees a zero sum game. It's a fundamental difference in analysis and approach, with the console paradigm being: "exclusives matter" - which means, every garden must have its differentiated exclusive content and thus not everyone gets to have all the toys, and that is fine, and healthy. It should not surprise that the company that is pushing hard to disrupt this market, through a transition to the cloud, subscription rental services, and the opening of the gardens is the one that enjoys a monopoly on PC and is accustomed to monopolistic thinking - Microsoft. It's unfortunate when a major console stakeholder such as Sony follows a path to ruin and self-destruction laid by MS, who operates on a completely different realm, motivated by different visions, one that includes them as a monopoly of the premium games market, through the cloud, and PC, with consoles being just a blip, if at all. That Microsoft fails in their overall aim does not mean they don't leave their print and mark behind, shaping the market by doing so and thus, only partial failure.

Of course I am happy with those ports. More games on my platform of choice. Why not? Its not that the games are being taken from consoles either.

Sony has ran the numbers and I think they might be in a better position to understand their market and their company better than Icon Era or any other forum. They concluded that these extra sales are targeted to folks that in no way shape or form (like me) will get a console. Those sales won't have much impact on the install base of PS consoles (as they keep selling really well) so those ports will mean nothing but a very profitable additional revenue stream. Not much cannibalization either, as they know some users might jump ship to PC but its insignificant. As the driving force of the PS platform, the dudebro or kid that buys it for FIFA, COD, GTA does not want to do anything with building a PC.

The problem here is that to hardcore old school Sony fans losing the exclusivity on those games touches feelings. And feelings are hard to discuss. It's very similar when you get a new brother and your mother does not pay as much attention to you for a while. You feel neglected. Ask yourself Why? Did I do something wrong? I thought I was special... Its hard. But everyone adapts in the end.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Of course I am happy with those ports. More games on my platform of choice. Why not? Its not that the games are being taken from consoles either.

Sony has ran the numbers and I think they might be in a better position to understand their market and their company better than Icon Era or any other forum. They concluded that these extra sales are targeted to folks that in no way shape or form (like me) will get a console. Those sales won't have much impact on the install base of PS consoles (as they keep selling really well) so those ports will mean nothing but a very profitable additional revenue stream. Not much cannibalization either, as they know some users might jump ship to PC but its insignificant. As the driving force of the PS platform, the dudebro or kid that buys it for FIFA, COD, GTA does not want to do anything to do with building a PC.

The problem here is that to hardcore old school Sony fans losing the exclusivity on those games touches feelings. And feelings are hard to discuss. It's very similar when you get a new brother and your mother does not pay as much attention to you for a while. You feel neglected. Ask yourself Why? Did I do something wrong? I thought I was special... Its hard. But everyone adapts in the end.
You're talking bollocks here mate.

Sony have scaled down things, like PSNow's device reach. They've lost 3rd party relationships/exclusive games over course of late PS4/PS5 in a trend. We think PC is a misguided plan for crumbs money, and anything in that area could be better realised on PS ecosystem turf. We can present those viewpoints/critisims of Sony using tried/true business examples, or logic, and yet you say we're just in our feelings because it's not just on our plastic box of choice.

Yeah right, it's PC gamers who're in there's, always begging for ports.

• they're_right_you_know

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You're talking bollocks here mate.

Sony have scaled down things, like PSNow's device reach. They've lost 3rd party relationships/exclusive games over course of late PS4/PS5 in a trend. We think PC is a misguided plan for crumbs money, and anything in that area could be better realised on PS ecosystem turf. We can present those viewpoints/critisims of Sony using tried/true business examples, or logic, and yet you say we're just in our feelings because it's not just on our plastic box of choice.

Yeah right, it's PC gamers who're in there's, always begging for ports.
There's barely any port begging. Sony is pro-actively publishing PC games to expand their audience, and fund game modern development. Some people can't handle it.

"There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward."

Hilariously, Jim Ryan even claims the staggering of PC releases are determined based on the opinions of "game fans", who want a 2-3 year delay. Ryan's own opinion is "the more the better".

"I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably"

It's port whining, not port begging that is decisive right now.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
There's barely any port begging. Sony is pro-actively publishing PC games to expand their audience, and fund game modern development. Some people can't handle it.

"There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward."

Hilariously, Jim Ryan even claims the staggering of PC releases are determined based on the opinions of "game fans", who want a 2-3 year delay. Ryan's own opinion is "the more the better".

"I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably"

It's port whining, not port begging that is decisive right now.
Past tense/future tense. Chicken and egg scenario, then.

Before PC was Sony's focus, there were port begging. Now that is here and looking to get worse, people are allowed criticize it as a bad business decision overall, not just "in their feelings".

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
People don't understand that when you release God of War 2018 on PC, you actually give that community a taste of the franchise, and then some of them might be willing to buy a PS5 as an "exclusives machine" for Ragnarok. Same happened with Horizon as well.
They aren't releasing games with superior graphics capabilities and all of the DLC content in hopes that they will buy a PS5. That's been a myth that I never understood coming from the fanbase. It's simply that they want PC sales. It's just that simple.

Reactions: Banana and nongkris

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
They aren't releasing games with superior graphics capabilities and all of the DLC content in hopes that they will buy a PS5. That's been a myth that I never understood coming from the fanbase. It's simply that they want PC sales. It's just that simple.
I agree, they're not.
The-Last-of-Us-PC-Joel-bug.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Umar and ksdixon