Jim Ryan confirms that PC is a direct competitor to Playstation in FTC documents.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Wait who's a troll?
Screenshot-20230920-114555.png

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
You should know by now that @flaccidsnake and @Systemshock2023 are trolls, honestly I don't even think either of them actually play on PC. Best to just ignore them

Yep everyone that doesn't basically drink Jim Ryan's cum by the Gallon is a troll according to some folks here.

Is it a discussion forum? Or just a place to circlejerk?

Ffs learn your place and respect different opinions.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake
D

Deleted member 223

PCMR trolls, and they let that be known quite often. Not sure what the confusion is. That is not to say they can not have a say, and opine on the forum etc, specially in topics solely about games or standard industry news. In particular topics of interest, such as Sony's relationship with PC, or any topic where alligiance politics may be concerned you bet your behind they're going to do their poor attempt at machievellian fanboyism for self-interest and infect the discussion with the "PC da best" nonsense at the sightless of opportunity. They're harmless compared to the other PCMR which are on a perm (or chose voluntary banishment). This is partly why they still post here. The others were much more militant in their crazyness. Systemshock being the smarter of two, imo, outside the occasional PCMR wings outburst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Yep everyone that doesn't basically drink Jim Ryan's cum by the Gallon is a troll according to some folks here.

Is it a discussion forum? Or just a place to circlejerk?

Ffs learn your place and respect different opinions.
If anyone is drinking Jims cum by the gallon, its you and @flaccidsnake . You guys are the ones constantly championing his awful decisions, not me.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That's how it works on a free market. Company screws it up, users look for an alternative. Company backpedals to earn goodwill.

It's the right thing to do. Console customers deserve all they get for treating their console brands as football clubs instead of using their brains and make rational purchasing decisions.

Specially as the ps4 didnt have any sort of BC to tempt you to remain in the ecosystem.

Sony (like MS in the past) now has trained the user to pay whatever it takes to play online. I think they can extract around 250 USD per plus user per year without much impact on the user base.
So you are suggesting Playstation owners abandon an ecosystem with all their online mutuals, ease of accessibility to move over to PC and miss out on console exclusives and be at the mercy of a 3rd party who may or may not give you a fully functioning PC port? So you can spite a billion dollar corp, though it would be our pockets that's really feeling the sting?

Where as we could have simply buy a PS4 and just not pay for online? 😅

• brain
Reactions: KiryuRealty
D

Deleted member 223

If anyone is drinking Jims cum by the gallon, its you and @flaccidsnake . You guys are the ones constantly championing his awful decisions, not me.
Jim going to PC is not an awful decision to a PCMR fan that wants the PC ecosystem to be the one-stop shop of every publisher in existance. Purely self-interest. Everything that is said around that is noise and cover. To the PCMR they gain something which before they did not have as a result of those decisions - Sony's top of the line exclusive software. Thus, championing those decisions is the "right" thing to do from their pov.

Consoles can burn for all they care (that is where the idiocy comes in - way too shortsighted). That sort of thinking comes about due to a fundamental misunderstanding of the premium games market as well as a lack of depth in analysis. Consoles are the premium games industry and what drives the premium games industry, not PC. There is a reason why Microsoft, the main stakeholder of the PC ecosystem, who built a monopoly on it, decided to build a console themselves, and not double down in championing PC in a battle lost long ago, where consoles became the dominant industry driver. Instead, MS with its Xbox consoles help the PC platform from the inside so the market can be shared with PC by extension, as opposed to being shut out, in effective terms, if Sony were to have continued on its dominance path past the PS2. PC is not a suitable substitute for consoles, and the industry can not stand on its pillars. Thus, it's in every gamers interest that consoles are vibrant, healthy, differentiated and competitive. Every gamer also includes those on PC that have similar consumption patterns to those of console users. Obviously that's too deep of an analysis for your average Joe that is just interested in having all the toys for himself and sees a zero sum game. It's a fundamental difference in analysis and approach, with the console paradigm being: "exclusives matter" - which means, every garden must have its differentiated exclusive content and thus not everyone gets to have all the toys, and that is fine, and healthy. It should not surprise that the company that is pushing hard to disrupt this market, through a transition to the cloud, subscription rental services, and the opening of the gardens is the one that enjoys a monopoly on PC and is accustomed to monopolistic thinking - Microsoft. It's unfortunate when a major console stakeholder such as Sony follows a path to ruin and self-destruction laid by MS, who operates on a completely different realm, motivated by different visions, one that includes them as a monopoly of the premium games market, through the cloud, and PC, with consoles being just a blip, if at all. That Microsoft fails in their overall aim does not mean they don't leave their print and mark behind, shaping the market by doing so and thus, only partial failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JAHGamer

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
No, it is what it is. PS3 era plus offered pretty good games, but you could still play all games online for free. Paying for ps plus past late 2013 is not the same as paying for it before.

Sony customers decided that paying twice to use their own internet was a wise decision. And they had 8+ years of Xbox users paying for gold to realize it was a scam.

What should have happened: PS users drop the brand for a while in retaliation for the online paywall (they go to PC as by that time an entry level PC could beat a PS4 for the same or a couple more dollars)

Sony feels the hit in sales and differentiates from MS by allowing free online on the PS4, just like it was on the ps3. They could have sold 160M ps4 and grow the market.

Ms sells even less Xboxes and is forced to drop Xbox live gold to recoup sales.

The customer wins.
Wait... People should have dropped PS for a time after the online play sub requirement changed, not the price or extra charge? When over in MS' camp they were trying to take away used games altogether?

I can't hate on Sony for eeking out some profit by making the sub mandatory for online play only (not media apps and f2p games though, unlike MS), when I was already happily paying for PS+ anyway based on the free monthly games? They didn't do it for however many years XBLive Gold existed until the start of PS4.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
I don't remember the exact % that Sony mentioned, but I'd say 30% of the people who buys a PS5 didn't own a PS4. So even if that 5-10% would be true that would mean a userbase growth at the end of the generation.
People don't understand that when you release God of War 2018 on PC, you actually give that community a taste of the franchise, and then some of them might be willing to buy a PS5 as an "exclusives machine" for Ragnarok. Same happened with Horizon as well.

Even more, Sony is now using Playstation as a means to revitalize their other lines of business, see the TLOU Pt1 port to PC, it was clearly designed (and sadly rushed) to align with the TLOU TV show.

Now take a look at the supposed leak of Horizon FW complete on PC.. If you look at Sony's future plans for the franchise, you will see that they are planning for a Horizon MMO, and you can't have a successful MMO without making PC players your priority.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People don't understand that when you release God of War 2018 on PC, you actually give that community a taste of the franchise, and then some of them might be willing to buy a PS5 as an "exclusives machine" for Ragnarok. Same happened with Horizon as well.

Even more, Sony is now using Playstation as a means to revitalize their other lines of business, see the TLOU Pt1 port to PC, it was clearly designed (and sadly rushed) to align with the TLOU TV show.

Now take a look at the supposed leak of Horizon FW complete on PC.. If you look at Sony's future plans for the franchise, you will see that they are planning for a Horizon MMO, and you can't have a successful MMO without making PC players your priority.
Yep. They also have a Horizon adaptation coming to Netflix as I remember.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Completely false. It was substantiated several times, including a statement from Layden himself, that PC players don't buy consoles. Or not in any meaningful numbers. All you need to look at are PC sales numbers for 1st party IPs.

the strategy as were developing it [...] was that we need to go out to where these new customers are, where these new fans could be. We need to go to where they are [...] because they've decided not to come to my house, so I've got to go to their house now."

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Jimbo : " PC are our rival"

Also Jimbo : " here let me port our first party game to PC so you dont have to buy playstation"

Funny GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Completely false. It was substantiated several times, including a statement from Layden himself, that PC players don't buy consoles. Or not in any meaningful numbers. All you need to look at are PC sales numbers for 1st party IPs.

Yeah I originally had a similar opinion, but it doesnt take long to see they are not gonna buy a console for a game they liked on the PC.
That they believe will come to PC eventually.

Its giving Sony some extra sales and money for now, because what else is it gonna do. Of course its gonna be some extra money for now.

But in the long run, from what Ive seen and heard, its definetly gonna migrate some players to PC. Especially ones who dipping there toes in the PC space or thinking about it.

Which means Sony is gonna lose players who spend lots of money on 1st and 3rd party titles on the PS platform.

Nintendo doesnt do it, Xbox lost a ton of software and hardware sales when they went multiplatform, and companies like Valve and Google dont share there VR games On other platforms.

Its not logical to put your exclusives and reasons to own a PS on another platform. Because that money could be spent on that other platform. Xbox was dumb enough to do it, and market leader PS followed them.…

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nonsense.
I buy a game on Steam. I can play it on my laptop, TV, Steam Deck, and cloud. It's the best version of the game. It's often on deep discount compared with consoles. My saves stay in the cloud forever. I don't pay any subscription. I can use any control I like. It has backwards compatibility going back to before the floppy disk era. Older games run with incredible enhancements. When the hardware ages out of gaming, it's still useful rather than e-waste.

The user interface looks like this:

4215040561666898962gol1.jpg

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jimbo : " PC are our rival"

Also Jimbo : " here let me port our first party game to PC so you dont have to buy playstation"
He knows that PC is a way bigger market than PS and that in some countries they don't buy consoles, and that some western people won't either. So by releasing on PC they reach many new players and make more money.

He also knows that PC games (let's remember Helldivers 1 was also released on PC almost day one) don't affect their PS sales, which are basically better than ever in different areas. At least with their current strategy: porting to pc only a small portion of their catalog and keeping a lot of their games exclusive forever in their console, and other SP ones porting them to PC 2+ years after their original release.

PC ports are very cheap and generate them a good chunk of revenue, meaning they are very profitable for them. And they can use that money to fund more games.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I buy a game on Steam. I can play it on my laptop, TV, Steam Deck, and cloud. It's the best version of the game. It's often on deep discount compared with consoles. My saves stay in the cloud forever. I don't pay any subscription. I can use any control I like. It has backwards compatibility going back to before the floppy disk era. Older games run with incredible enhancements. When the hardware ages out of gaming, it's still useful rather than e-waste.

The user interface looks like this:

4215040561666898962gol1.jpg
And some people just wanna buy a one time box that is future proofed for 6 - 8 years, that they can just hook up to their tv to play games now and then.

Please get off your soap box and stop thinking every gamer cares about the same stuff you do.