Jim Ryan confirms that PC is a direct competitor to Playstation in FTC documents.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I kinda feel maybe they regretted diving head first Into this PC port race. Though they can still simply stop outside of when try to appease people like Kojima.

Launch the GaaS games day one but they really should have kept PS5 Tentpole games off PC till the end of this generation.

PS4 games were fine since we had move on to PS5... they royally fucked up.

My strategy would be:
  • Playstation Studios SP games: Playstation 5 only
  • Playstation Studios MP games: Playstation 5 & PC day one
  • Playstation Studios SP partnerships [Kojima, etc]: Playstation 5 & PC 6 months later

Reactions: Umar

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Not defending Paid online or anything but I feel like people look back on PS3 era a bit with rose tinted glasses. Yes, online play was free if you were the original owner of the product at first. If you weren't you had to pay for an Online Pass 🤔.

But expecting Playstation customers to drop PS4 to then buy and invest in a PC to spite Sony is kinda borderline psychotic.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
My strategy would be:
  • Playstation Studios SP games: Playstation 5 only
  • Playstation Studios MP games: Playstation 5 & PC day one
  • Playstation Studios SP partnerships [Kojima, etc]: Playstation 5 & PC 6 months later
Totally agree! This is exactly how it should be. But there's many people now in-charge who doesn't fully under how Playstation got to the top.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The most successful strategy would be to release games first on PC in early access. Then port it to PS5 when its polished and ready to be released on a retail disc for all time.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The most successful strategy would be to release games first on PC in early access. Then port it to PS5 when its polished and ready to be released on a retail disc for all time.

So the most successful strategy would be to release in a platform where they sell a few thousands of units and then release on a platform where they sell millions on release.

Please don't tell anyone you're serious.

Edit - Also, to first release on a platform where they don't control the hardware and have to pay a software cut, while undercutting their own offering. Man, you understand fuck all about business.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Not defending Paid online or anything but I feel like people look back on PS3 era a bit with rose tinted glasses. Yes, online play was free if you were the original owner of the product at first. If you weren't you had to pay for an Online Pass 🤔.

But expecting Playstation customers to drop PS4 to then buy and invest in a PC to spite Sony is kinda borderline psychotic.

That's how it works on a free market. Company screws it up, users look for an alternative. Company backpedals to earn goodwill.

It's the right thing to do. Console customers deserve all they get for treating their console brands as football clubs instead of using their brains and make rational purchasing decisions.

Specially as the ps4 didnt have any sort of BC to tempt you to remain in the ecosystem.

Sony (like MS in the past) now has trained the user to pay whatever it takes to play online. I think they can extract around 250 USD per plus user per year without much impact on the user base.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony (like MS in the past) now has trained the user to pay whatever it takes to play online. I think they can extract around 250 USD per plus user per year without much impact on the user base.

If you think that, you're wrong. There's a reason why they are not showing subscription numbers anymore, and that happened just before the price increase. They will lose a couple million subscribers at the very least. Their revenue, however, will go up, since the loss of a handful of million subscribers will be more than offset by price increases bigger than 20%.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
So the most successful strategy would be to release in a platform where they sell a few thousands of units and then release on a platform where they sell millions on release.

Please don't tell anyone you're serious

Baldurs Gate... Diablo... Elden Ring...

The PC audience is massive. If the quality of the port is good, and you don't change full price for 2 year old games, it sells.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

The PC audience is massive. If the quality of the port is good, and you don't change full price for 2 year old games, it sells.
Even I don't think that would work. Not sure how an extremely linear game like uncharted would work on early access.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

Your argument is grabbing a handful of incredible sellers and then extrapolate that for the whole of PC gaming. Fantastic, you're now promoted to SIE's CEO.

The PC audience can be massive all you want, Sony's audience is on consoles, not on PC. They are a platform holder. What you're arguing is for them to basically kill their whole platform to appease port beggars like yourself.

Sony gets 30% cut of anything sold in their store + 100% of their own games. Sony pays a percentage to PC storefronts and gets 0% of other game sales. Your argument is to forfeit all that, built over 3 decades, to somehow sell a couple million games on PC? Even if their games sold the same on PC + Playstation, it wouldn't account for the loss in revenue from people migrating to the PC space.

And trust me, there's a lot of people that own a PC and a Playstation.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Your argument is grabbing a handful of incredible sellers and then extrapolate that for the whole of PC gaming. Fantastic, you're now promoted to SIE's CEO.

The PC audience can be massive all you want, Sony's audience is on consoles, not on PC. They are a platform holder. What you're arguing is for them to basically kill their whole platform to appease port beggars like yourself.

Sony gets 30% cut of anything sold in their store + 100% of their own games. Sony pays a percentage to PC storefronts and gets 0% of other game sales. Your argument is to forfeit all that, built over 3 decades, to somehow sell a couple million games on PC? Even if their games sold the same on PC + Playstation, it wouldn't account for the loss in revenue from people migrating to the PC space.

And trust me, there's a lot of people that own a PC and a Playstation.
They should experiment with skipping the PS5 release entirely on games where PS5 hardware limits innovation. Like Last of Us 3 for example.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
They should experiment with skipping the PS5 release entirely on games where PS5 hardware limits innovation. Like Last of Us 3 for example.

😂 PS Port Beggars are the best, never change. Not only should Sony commit suicide, they should literally kill their biggest IP in the process.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
😂 PS Port Beggars are the best, never change. Not only should Sony commit suicide, they should literally kill their biggest IP in the process.
Far from it. They should reach the widest possible audience. Any one console is small potatoes, hoping to reach literally the same people every 5-7 years.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Far from it. They should reach the widest possible audience. Any one console is small potatoes, hoping to reach literally the same people every 5-7 years.

Nice logic. Sony should port their games to Xbox and Nintendo as well, just to reach the widest possible audience. While we're at it, we should create a petition on change.org asking Apple to port their OS to non-apple machines, so that they can reach the widest possible audience. And while we're at it, we can also reach Ferrari so they build budget cars, so that they can reach the widest possible audience.

Your business acumen is outstanding.

I do want to add though, you are absolutely qualified to replace Phil Spencer at the very least.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nice logic. Sony should port their games to Xbox and Nintendo as well, just to reach the widest possible audience. While we're at it, we should create a petition on change.org asking Apple to port their OS to non-apple machines, so that they can reach the widest possible audience. And while we're at it, we can also reach Ferrari so they build budget cars, so that they can reach the widest possible audience.

Your business acumen is outstanding.

I do want to add though, you are absolutely qualified to replace Phil Spencer at the very least.

Nope. Nintendo and Microsoft should also stop making consoles.

OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Any thread or post with the word PC in it will have flaccidsnake come through with the most asinine take on PC port performance. He sounds like those gamepass xbots who just want free monthly games even though that means the quality will suffer in the long run.

Anyways as we see with the shuttering of evil dead, I think what will kill Jim Ryan's PC strategy for good is when investors see him spending hundreds of millions of dollars on concord and fairgame$ that will have low player counts after a couple of months.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Nope. Nintendo and Microsoft should also stop making consoles.

So what you want is a world where people must pay thousands to play games at the same standard a console allows for, and essentially provide NVIDIA with yet more reasons to fleece them?

I thought you were a moron, now I'm sure you're just arguing in bad faith.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The PC multiplayer space is extremely competitive. Ryan is delusional if he thinks they can put together some maps, ask Santaolalla for some charango riffs and druckmann for a sad dad Oscar bait story, to be an instant success.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
So what you want is a world where people must pay thousands to play games at the same standard a console allows for, and essentially provide NVIDIA with yet more reasons to fleece them?

I thought you were a moron, now I'm sure you're just arguing in bad faith.
You should know by now that @flaccidsnake and @Systemshock2023 are trolls, honestly I don't even think either of them actually play on PC. Best to just ignore them

• Surprised
Reactions: flaccidsnake