Jim Ryan's 30 years at PlayStation has officially ended. Says PS5 "on track" to be Sony’s most successful & PS2 sold 160 million (PS official podcast)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

+ Vgchartz still in denial, they are very mad.

image.png

When wiki is updated

1711761390-image.png
1711761432-image.png

these clowns are really fuming over this 😂

• haha
Reactions: kuzon and Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
You can update the Wiki… anybody can.

I thought you were asking… sorry.
No I know, I was just saying that wiki updated the PS2 figures when VGChartz got so scared of Nintendo fanboys that they pulled the 158.7 figure out of their arses.

Reactions: ethomaz

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I hope with Jimbo gone we can finally get ps2 games on premium, enough is enough we have waited too long for this

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We know Sony had shipped "more than 155.0M" until March 2012 but kept producing and selling it during almost a year more.

It's also possible they could have sold 160M until March 2013 having shipped both 5M -or 7M- during that year. These extra 2M could be unsold units produced/shipped during 2012 but sold dring 2013. But I think that a round number of 5.0M makes more sense.

I hope with Jimbo gone we can finally get ps2 games on premium, enough is enough we have waited too long for this
There are many PS2 games in premium: emulated, ported, remastered and remade.

The legend lives forever.

160 million is incredible and Sony needs to work hard to achieve something comparable again in the future.
As he said in the interview PS5 is on track to be their most successful console ever in multiple vectors. In several metrics already is launch aligned, and in other ones -case of the units sold- still isn't but is on track (it already was at launch).

Let's hope it also achieves it in units sold, but I think it's very difficult even if Xbox hardware is dying, because this generation due to the components and shipping costs I think they won't be able to be that aggresive with discounts and price cuts, and I don't think PS5 lifetime will be 13 years long as it was the case of PS2. That would mean to discontinue PS5 in 2033, even if they release PS6 in 2027 or 2028.

But who knows, they're working hard to expand in different regions and markets to make their brand more popular. Like all the deals they made in recent years with companies from Japan, China, Korea or India to grow in Asia, mobile and PC. Plus their expansion via PC, movies, tv shows or theme parks. They also did a lot of efforts to grow their 1P teams in amount of teams and manpower, plus the record 2P and 3P deals signed for the generation, which should result in a bigger game output in some years once these games get developed.

In recent years they also highly improved PS+ offerings and particularly PS cloud gaming, which soon should release on mobile and smart tvs. Which is another area that will help to make their games and console more popular, so hopefully helps them grow their console even more and help enlarge its longevity. And hopefully getting all the MS future and main past catalog on board is something that would help.

I'm optimistic, I think PS5 will end selling a lot. Crossing the 160M record with PS5 doesn't seem very realistic to me, but I think there's a chance because they are growing in all areas and seem well focused on growing in different markets. As an example, I think they are targeting well their growth in China, Korea and India, and apparently Africa and LATAM will go next also taking advantage of their growth in movies, tv shows, PC and mobile, using that brand awareness to also grow their console.

Who knows, we'll see. I think they are in he right way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilms

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
We know Sony had shipped "more than 155.0M" until March 2012 but kept producing and selling it during almost a year more.

It's also possible they could have sold 160M until March 2013 having shipped both 5M -or 7M- during that year. These extra 2M could be unsold units produced/shipped during 2012 but sold dring 2013. But I think that a round number of 5.0M makes more sense.

There are many PS2 games in premium: emulated, ported, remastered and remade.

As he said in the interview PS5 is on track to be their most successful console ever in multiple vectors. In several metrics already is launch aligned, and in other ones -case of the units sold- still isn't but is on track (it already was at launch).

Let's hope it also achieves it in units sold, but I think it's very difficult even if Xbox hardware is dying, because this generation due to the components and shipping costs I think they won't be able to be that aggresive with discounts and price cuts, and I don't think PS5 lifetime will be 13 years long as it was the case of PS2. That would mean to discontinue PS5 in 2033.
I don't see the PS5 passing PS2 or getting close to it. If covid never happened it might have but that chance is long gone. PS5 will do crazy numbers when GTA6 releases but I don't think it would be enough for the PS5 to pass PS2.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't see the PS5 passing PS2 or getting close to it. If covid never happened it might have but that chance is long gone. PS5 will do crazy numbers when GTA6 releases but I don't think it would be enough for the PS5 to pass PS2.
I think next fiscal year PS5 sales will get bumped thanks to mainly GTA6 and the success of Sony GaaS, particularly GT7, Destiny 2, Helldivers 2, Concord and Marathon. Launch aligned, I think this will mean PS5 will go back to be again the fastest selling console ever.

I doubt PS5 will keep being produced during 13 years as PS2 did, but I see it possible.

The most challenging thing I see are the costs. There has been a huge inflation and I think will grow even more, plus I think fuel price will rise even more due to NATO vs BRICS tensions, rising shipment costs for hardware, accesories and physical games. I also think such tensions may affect the pricing of the components which may keep rising over time, instead of decreasing as they would normally do. So I don't see how they would be able to lower the console price in the mid-long term unless it's heavily affecting their profitability.

They also have a gazillion super expensive games under development, and may continue growing their teams and acquiring more, which means more costs.

The only option is that they keep being super successful with PC, GaaS, movies and tv shows and keep growing in these areas (something I think is super likely), generating way bigger profits than the ones they already have, helping to allow them sell the console at a huge loss per unit, something that as of now they can't afford.

We'll see. I think it's going to be difficult and may be hard to some people, but I'm optimistic because I see they achieved many records in many areas and that they are being very successful in most growth areas where they also have been investing a lot on future projects that I think most of them will perform great.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fixed it for you.
The Xbox console isn't the first corpse Jim Ryan leaves behind.

The stunning success he had in Europe with PS1 and PS2 was key to kill the console ambitions of Sega, Phillips, 3DO, Commodore and did end with the Nintendo hegemony in home consoles.

Nintendo home consoles -with Wii as exception- kept selling less every generation since the PS1 debut until they dissapeared with WiiU.

I think PC handhelds market will slowly grow this generation, and some brands more like MS will release their own one. I think Sony will release theirs the next generation, being the PS Portal successor, but now also featuring native PC games (including the Sony ones, plus upcoming emulated PC PS classics), native mobile games (including the Sony ones) and cloud gaming.

I think Sony will lead PC handhelds market too, and with the help of the other PC handhelds will make Switch 2 the last Nintendo console. I think "Switch 3" will be also a PC handheld that also will feature mobile games and cloud gaming. Which will also mean Nintendo will start making PC games too.

But I think at that point people won't care because games will be pretty much device agnostic: PC, home consoles, portable consoles, mobile, smart tvs and cloud will be basically be basically a single unified platform with different Sony, MS, Nintendo, Epic, etc. stores in all of them. Similar as happens in movies, music, YouTube or Twitch.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

If they continue with their PC ports strategy, it's more likely they won't surpass PS4 numbers.

• sad
Reactions: Firefly
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Of course it isn't reaching PS5 numbers, most consoles don't crack 100 mil sales. Switch will reach it if it stays on market long enough.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
We know the cumulative worldwide sales of all PlayStation consoles to 22 July 2018 according to Sony was more than 525.30 million.

• PlayStation®: 102.49M
  • PlayStation®2: 160.00M
  • PlayStation®Portable : 82.50M
  • PlayStation®3: 87.40M
  • PlayStation®4: 81.20M

For a total of 513.59 million.

This gives us the PlayStation®Vita at 11.71M

For me everything fits together.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
We know the cumulative worldwide sales of all PlayStation consoles to 22 July 2018 according to Sony was more than 525.30 million.

this is interesting to me. I remember hearing the Vita outsold the Wii U which is at 13.5 million by most sources and in 2021 a former employee at Sony claimed the Vita was around 17 million in sales. I do wish Sony would officially update their numbers on the IR page tho.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

this is interesting to me. I remember hearing the Vita outsold the Wii U which is at 13.5 million by most sources and in 2021 a former employee at Sony claimed the Vita was around 17 million in sales. I do wish Sony would officially update their numbers on the IR page tho.

Yep. But to be a bit more specific PSP was exactly 82.52M, so PS Vita would be 11.69M until 22 July 2018.

It's worth remembering that like PS4, PS Vita got discontinued later than this date. In case of Vita March 1, 2019, so it sold a bit more than this. I'd say pretty likely somewhere around 12-14M aprox, maybe a bit more. 17M could be possible.

I hate when Sony does this stuff of merging sales of different platforms or not reporting them, I'd prefer to have more transparency.

Reactions: RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Yep. But to be a bit more specific PSP was exactly 82.52M, so PS Vita would be 11.69M until 22 July 2018.

It's worth remembering that like PS4, PS Vita got discontinued later than this date. In case of Vita March 1, 2019, so it sold a bit more than this. I'd say pretty likely somewhere around 12-14M aprox, maybe a bit more. 17M could be possible.

I hate when Sony does this stuff of merging sales of different platforms or not reporting them, I'd prefer to have more transparency.
Yeah thats true, the last 3 brand new Vita sold in the US was in November 2021!

So it's not impossible the Vita outsold the Wii U at 13.5 million but I feel a little sad seeing the Vita might not of cracked 15 million

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah thats true, the last 3 brand new Vita sol in the IS was in November 2021!

So it's not impossible the Vita outsold the Wii U at 13.5 million but I feel a little sad seeing the Vita might not of cracked 15 million

2021? Wow! xDD