Lego Horizon Adventures Announced | Summer Game Fest | PS5/Switch/Steam/EGS

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
1st party = game published by the platform holder (Sony in case of PS, MS in case of Xbox, Nintendo in cases of Switch, Valve in case of Steam etc)

3rd party = game published by a company not owned by the platform holder (Sony in case of PS, MS in case of Xbox, Nintendo in cases of Switch, Valve in case of Steam etc)

Not related to who owns the IP.

In the case of the "Ghostbusters - The videogame" released in PS3, it was published by Atari, and its remaster by Mad Dog Games. And they aren't owned by Sony, so that game was 3rd party. Even if Sony owns the Ghostbusters IP.

Lego Horizon, Stellar Blade, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Marvel's Spider-Man are published by PS Studios, so they are first party games (in PS) because PS Studios is a Sony subsidiary. Independently if Sony owns or not these IPs.
Ghostbusters PS3 was published by Sony in Europe.

The point is Publishing rights doesn't mean it is 1st-party.

Stellar Blade is not 1st-party... Sony doesn't own the game IP.
Death Stranding, Bloodborne and Spider-man are because Sony's own the game IP.

Lego game IP is owned by Lego.

You guys are trying to made up some spin to make Lego a Sony's game IP.
Lego is a game IP that use licensed IP material for their themes... Horizon is the new licensed theme IP... like Harry Potter, Batman, Star Wars, etc.

PS. I finally found a word to describe the use of licensed IP world, characters, story, etc... theme.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Idk why you grouped me in there. I might be a fan of Playstation games but I've been platform agnostic for 10 years. In reality, I'm very much content with what Sony/Nintendo have been providing for me. I'm not going to doom about a few Sony games going to PC or other consoles, quite simply because it matters little to me. Just because I don't agree with the sentiment that PS is losing it's way doesn't make me a shill, sorry that I don't get off to the death of gaming platforms as much as you. Would you be happier if I doomed over the LEGO game I have 0 interest in buying? Nah bro, I'd rather focus on what appeals to me.

Sony and PS could die tomorrow, won't care, will still find a way to enjoy video gaming with or without them, so why fixate on the health of a (clearly healthy) corporation? Am I supposed to whistleblow the end times, despite putting about 350 hours on SIE published content this year alone? Should I come in this forum and throw tantrums at Nintendo because I haven't had anything worth playing on their platform since last October? I find no reason to doom, we are built differently.
Oh no we lost Voke instead of the toxic and miserable people 😭

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Oh no we lost Voke instead of the toxic and miserable people 😭
Wow, they got his ass up out of here 😂😂 good work mods

Should have been a temperory ban IN MY OPINION... Especially seeing there was obvious provocation taking place in here, but oh well.
I never provoked him, he did it to himself, got angry over an opinion. I talk to him the same way I talk to you, and you've never talked crazy like that

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
He actually played games and talked about them instead of making lists and complaining it's not long enough without playing what's available 😒
He was a trouble maker. Those “go with the wind” people like him are bad for gaming discourse

And there are more problematic people on this site who are obvious and blatant r@cists
At least Banana was banned yesterday as well, he was one of the worse racists

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ghostbusters PS3 was published by Sony in Europe.

The point is Publishing rights doesn't mean it is 1st-party.

Stellar Blade is not 1st-party... Sony doesn't own the game IP.
Death Stranding, Bloodborne and Spider-man are because Sony's own the game IP.

Lego game IP is owned by Lego.

You guys are trying to made up some spin to make Lego a Sony's game IP.
Lego is a game IP that use licensed IP material for their themes... Horizon is the new licensed theme IP... like Harry Potter, Batman, Star Wars, etc.

PS. I finally found a word to describe the use of licensed IP world, characters, story, etc... theme.
Sony publishing a game -so having its publishing rights- on PlayStation means it's a first party IP.

But the game in general, not when they're just helping distribute a 3rd party game in a specific region (as was the case when Sony published/distrubuted let's say Destiny 1 in Japan, or that Ghostbusters PS2/PS3 game in EU).

When a first party game has a lead dev studio not owned by the platform holder, that first party game sometimes is also called second party. That is the case of Stellar Blade, as Shift Up said to their investors and Korean authorities:

image.png

Being a first or third party only means if the game publisher is the platform holder of the platform where it's being published or not. Doesn't matter if they own the IP or not. In this case, Stellar Blade is a first party game (and second), even if Shift Up owns the IP.

Uncharted games are 1st party games. Marvel's Spider-Man is a first party game. Stellar Blade is a first party game. Lego Horizon is a first party game.

In other page that document Shift Up also explains the difference between publishing/being the publisher and the IP/being the IP owner:
image.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sony publishing a game -so having its publishing rights- on PlayStation means it's a first party IP.

But the game in general, not when they're just helping distribute a 3rd party game in a specific region (as was the case when Sony published/distrubuted let's say Destiny 1 in Japan, or that Ghostbusters PS2/PS3 game in EU).

When a first party game has a lead dev studio not owned by the platform holder, that first party game sometimes is also called second party. That is the case of Stellar Blade, as Shift Up said to their investors and Korean authorities:

image.png

Being a first or third party only means if the game publisher is the platform holder of the platform where it's being published or not. Doesn't matter if they own the IP or not. In this case, Stellar Blade is a first party game (and second), even if Shift Up owns the IP.

Uncharted games are 1st party games. Marvel's Spider-Man is a first party game. Stellar Blade is a first party game. Lego Horizon is a first party game.

In other page that document Shift Up also explains the difference between publishing/being the publisher and the IP/being the IP owner:
image.png
Publishing rights have nothing to do with being 1st-party.

Sony has publishing rights to Stellar Blade… the game is still 3rd-party exclusive.

And the use of second-party is to 1st-party IP being developed by a 3rd-party developer… Stellar Blade is a 3rd-party IP developed by a 3rd-party … so it will never be 2nd-party.

The most recent case of 2nd-party should be Death Stranding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddasar and Zzero

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Sony has publishing rights to Stellar Blade… the game is still 3rd-party exclusive.

And the use of second-party is to 1st-party IP being developed by a 3rd-party developer… Stellar Blade is a 3rd-party IP developed by a 3rd-party … so it will never be 2nd-party.

The most recent case of 2nd-party should be Death Stranding.
I proved this wrong in the previous post with an official legal document from the Stellar Blade developer claiming that Stellar Blade is a second party game. Which means it's a first party game.

And it's a first party game and second party game because Sony publishes (meaning they have the publishing rights) it -even if Sony doesn't own the IP- while being developed by a 3rd party studio (3rd party studio means the studio isn't a Sony owned team).

The most recent 2nd party game is Rise of the Ronin, developed by Team Ninja and published by SIE.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

image.png

image.png

Publishing rights and First Party are 2 different things.

First Party Developer - OWNED by Sony.

First Party Game - OWNED by Sony.

Death Stranding and Bloodborne are First Party games cause they are owned by Sony.

Who developed and published is irrelevant. 505 published Death Stranding on PC.

Stellar Blade isn’t First Party in any way. Owned by Shiftup and developed by them with help from Sony. Published by Sony.

The publisher/developer of a game isn’t relevant in determining First or Third Party cause you get multiple publishers/developers of a single game.

It is Ownership.

Spiderman is technically not a First Party Game.

It is Owned by Marvel. Developed by a third party now first party. Published by Sony who have publishing rights and pay Marvel royalties.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Publishing rights and First Party are 2 different things.

First Party Developer - OWNED by Sony.

First Party Game - OWNED by Sony.

Death Stranding and Bloodborne are First Party games cause they are owned by Sony.

Who developed and published is irrelevant. 505 published Death Stranding on PC.

Stellar Blade isn’t First Party in any way. Owned by Shiftup and developed by them with help from Sony. Published by Sony.

The publisher/developer of a game isn’t relevant in determining First or Third Party cause you get multiple publishers/developers of a single game.

It is Ownership.

Spiderman is technically not a First Party Game.

It is Owned by Marvel. Developed by a third party now first party. Published by Sony who have publishing rights and pay Marvel royalties.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Not only Sony, the whole gaming industry always called first party games those published by the platform holders (even if not developed by them) and 3rd party those published by companies not owned by the platform holder. Independently of who owns the IP or who receives royalties from the revenue generated by the game.

Stellar Blade is a first party because Sony publishes it, even if Shift Up owns its IP. And is also second party, because it's a first party game but the lead dev studio isn't owned by the platform holder, in this case Sony.

Marvel's Spider-Man is 100% a first party game too because Sony published it. Sony and everyone else in the industry always refered to it as a first party game and nobody from the industry never said it's a 3rd party game.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
  • haha
Reactions: Muddasar and arvfab

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Not only Sony, the whole gaming industry always called first party games those published by the platform holders (even if not developed by them) and 3rd party those published by companies not owned by the platform holder. Independently of who owns the IP or who receives royalties from the revenue generated by the game.

Stellar Blade is a first party because Sony publishes it, even if Shift Up owns its IP. And is also second party, because it's a first party game but the lead dev studio isn't owned by the platform holder, in this case Sony.

Marvel's Spider-Man is 100% a first party game too because Sony published it. Sony always refered to it as a first party game and never said it's a 3rd party game.

Ownership is everything. Developer and Publisher is irrelevant.

Tell me what is Demon Souls on the PS3? Published by Sony in Japan, Bandai Namco in Europe and Atlus in NA.

What about Death Stranding? Published by Sony on PS4/PS5 and 505 on PC.

Are these games First Party or Third Party?

Marvel Spiderman is published and developed by First Party. Doesn’t mean it is a First Party game.

Sony do not own Spiderman and only have publishing rights.

That’s why it is called Marvels Spiderman NOT Sony’s Spiderman.

A single game can have multiple publishers and developers. You don’t determine 1st Party or 3rd Party using them. It is OWNERSHIP.

Just like a 1st Party developer are those OWNED by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Same applies for games.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Darth Vader

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Marvel's Spider-Man is 100% a first party game too because Sony published it. Sony and everyone else in the industry always refered to it as a first party game and nobody from the industry never said it's a 3rd party game.

So is Tekken 1-5 first party?
Is Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 first party?
Xenosaga 1-3?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
So is Tekken 1-5 first party?
Is Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 first party?
Xenosaga 1-3?

Let it be, it doesn't make any sense what he is saying. By his definition, the Death Stranding PC version is 3rd party, CoD Japanese version is PlayStation 1st party etc.

• they're_right_you_know
  • Cerny
Reactions: Box and Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Let it be, it doesn't make any sense what he is saying. By his definition, the Death Stranding PC version is 3rd party, CoD Japanese version is PlayStation 1st party etc.

Agree complete nonsense from Yurinka.

Publisher and Developer are irrelevant because you can have multiple publishers and developers of a single game.

OWNERSHIP is all that matters.

Death Stranding is 1st party because Sony OWN the Death Stranding IP.

Despite being published by 505 on PC.

Demons Souls is 1st party because Sony OWN the Demons Souls IP.

Even though it was published by Bandai Namco in Europe and Atlus in NA.

Reactions: Box and arvfab

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Didn't you know Nioh was a first party game? Or some Call of Duty, but in Japan only?

😂 Yuri doing Yuri things

And of course the other insane fanboy thinks he's right because this one is wrong. Spider-Man is a third-party game 😂 what a moron.

Reactions: Box