March 2023 NPD, PS5 has outsold PS4 in the same time period (29 months), PS5 best-selling in both units and dollar sales, Switch #2, Xbox #3

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Enjoy

Read and laugh!
All he had to do was to project the gap created in the first year over the rest of the generation.

7.5 x 8 = 60m

Would still have underestimated the gap by about give or take 10m, but would've been a much better prediction.

If we do that same calculation now it looks like PS5 has increased it's lead by about a 8.5m gap while supply constrained for the most time. So PS5 should end up adding another 50m to that lead, resulting in a 70m gap by the end of the generation.

PS5 120m, Xbox Series 50m. This might be giving Xbox too much credit tho given their decreasing sales before the console is even 3 years old.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
4 years compared to 17, the 17 years is an aberration.

🙄
*6 years (from PS2 launch to PS3) vs 14 (PS3 to PS5), and of course this comparison conveniently and completely neglects the fact that Sony's hardware dominance extended beyond PS3's launch with PS2 sales, but that was expected.

And correct.

The aberration was driven by poor decisions on Sony's part that resulted in the PS3 and took an additional gen to recover from.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm not even sure what are you trying to say here...

The only time Xbox was ahead PlayStation in US was at 360 gen 🤷‍♂️
PS2, PS4 and PS5 were all PS > Xbox in US.
My argument was about market share which is what Welfare is objecting to, but again, he's taking a myopic view of an aberrational result. The status quo has always been Sony on top. The extent is debatable, but not that debatable.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My argument was about market share which is what Welfare is objecting to, but again, he's taking a myopic view of an aberrational result. The status quo has always been Sony on top. The extent is debatable, but not that debatable.
He is saying on InstallBase that Series X is not avaiabled in US to buy (false info) and when confronted with Amazon and own Microsoft Store links in stock he dodge saying the Forza Bundle doesn't count 🤡

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
He is saying on InstallBase that Series X is not avaiabled in US to buy (false info) and when confronted with Amazon and own Microsoft Store links in stock he dodge saying the Forza Bundle doesn't count 🤡
Oh FFS. Bundles absolutely count. They also have a conspiracy theory running that China is buying all the PS5s in Japan because PS software isn't dominating the charts. Bunch of silly people.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Just when I think resetera finally has it through their heads that the Series S is a failure, you have every poster coming out of the woodworks acting like it was a good idea and that the abysmal sales are "just fine".

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Just when I think resetera finally has it through their heads that the Series S is a failure, you have every poster coming out of the woodworks acting like it was a good idea and that the abysmal sales are "just fine".
I remember when this gen started they thought Playstation was going to get destroyed in sales because the Series S was cheaper and the Series X had slightly more horsepower.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Of course the S is a fine console. If the criteria is whether it boots and plays games then it's a fine console. Expecting folks not to double down and not play stupid is not a reasonable expectation. It's literally the human condition playing out. Those engaging in that thread understand perfectly well what sort of reactions that OP is after and they're smartly denying him that so as not to give in to the narrative.... a factual one unlike many. Whether reality is favorable to that game of fake appearances is inconsequential to the bubble they wish to create for themselves. This all happens in mostly concious-of-the-fact individuals playing the little game.

"As long as I deny OP's alternative view, no matter how close to facts it may be, my view is the reality, as far as I'm concerned". It's really simple with sheep, not rocket science. We have our share of idiots playing that game here, who stick out like a sore thumb unlike at era where they're a dime a dozen. This plays out daily on a variety of topics, from sport discussions, politics, to everyday normal exchanges of views so seeing it play out in polarizing gaming topics where tribe affiliation plays a role is almost guaranteed.

To deal with them the solution is always simple: Keep pushing it to their faces, expose their stupidity, and don't buy into their BS nor accept it - ever.

Last edited:
  • brain

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I am worried what will happen when Nadella declares to retreat from console business. This guys will likely commit mass crimes.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
I didn't say that. Why can't you people ever quote me with my own words.

The Forza bundle is barely in stock. In fact, it's the highest it's been in weeks in the Amazon charts. Last week it was hovering out of the top 100 and is now #64. Are you going to say demand has increased, or has more supply simply come in? It's not available for online purchase at GameStop, you need to go in store.

The $499 non bundled is in more demand. Whenever both SKU are available, the $499 sells more at every retailer. Despite that, it's out of stock everywhere.

And before anyone shows some random third party seller or one store with one unit, no, that isn't a console in stock.

I'm not even sure what are you trying to say here...

The only time Xbox was ahead PlayStation in US was at 360 gen 🤷‍♂️
PS2, PS4 and PS5 were all PS > Xbox in US.
PS2 level sales gap three gens later is not the norm.
*6 years (from PS2 launch to PS3) vs 14 (PS3 to PS5), and of course this comparison conveniently and completely neglects the fact that Sony's hardware dominance extended beyond PS3's launch with PS2 sales, but that was expected.

And correct.

The aberration was driven by poor decisions on Sony's part that resulted in the PS3 and took an additional gen to recover from.
If you're comparing Xbox to PS2 it would have to start at 2001 and change at 2005 with the 360. PS2 sales after 2005 was a completely different market of consumers.

And this logic works both ways. Xbox fucked up last gen and stunted themselves with a piss poor second half of 2022.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
I am worried what will happen when Nadella declares to retreat from console business. This guys will likely commit mass crimes.
I don't think there will be a retreat but to some degree ABK management take over MS management. Like handle EU marketing.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
These idiots re something else. Every single person i know buys platform, console to last them 5+ years, ps5 or xsx. No1 gave S second look when they realised its gimped budget version for 1080. More and more games ll skip xbox cause of S. But they re happy with it. Thank God at least PS s run by competent people.

• they're_right_you_know

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If you're comparing Xbox to PS2 it would have to start at 2001 and change at 2005 with the 360. PS2 sales after 2005 was a completely different market of consumers.

And this logic works both ways. Xbox fucked up last gen and stunted themselves with a piss poor second half of 2022.
So it would start when both consoles were on the market for gen 6 but stop or change when one of the consoles released in gen 7?

Sure, Jan.

Xbox has only had one good generation. That's also an aberration, so no, the performance we're seeing now is expected of them.