March 2023 NPD, PS5 has outsold PS4 in the same time period (29 months), PS5 best-selling in both units and dollar sales, Switch #2, Xbox #3

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yep. The fact that it's readily available in bundle form means it's readily available. The standalone console may not be, but the thing about supply and demand is that if demand exceeds supply, people will pay more to get their hands on a console until equilibrium is reached. What we see here is a clear lack of demand at the $559 price point.
I have my doubts as to whether there would be demand for Series X if it was priced where the Series S is these days with how low the perception of Xbox as a brand has fallen over the last few years.

And no, Starfield isn’t going to save XBox.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I've already proven a thousand times that the Series X is severely supply constrained in the US.
I ain't my problem if MS overproduced the Series S. Selling so little and still being supply constrained in their main territory is embarrassing.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
@Welfare
You're just being weird now. The past 9 years had PS4 somewhat outselling XB1 and the 7 years before that had 360 selling way more than PS3.

Combining PS3+2+P to beat Xbox 360 is some 7th gen console warrior spin lmao.
You said PlayStation and Xbox, so I corrected you. Same gen home console to same gen home console, Xbox has indeed had one generation where they've topped PlayStation. They've never beaten Sony in hardware sales overall, similar to how Sony has rarely beaten Nintendo in overall hardware sales.

(You don't need to add PS2 in there at all btw - PSP and PS3 beat 360)

It's not though lmao I've shown this so many times. Target has next to none in stock, GameStop moved it to in store purchase only, and Amazon only just got more units.

The Forza bundle is also just a shit product. Why would anyone spend $60 more for Forza of all games? I wouldn't, I'd just wait for the $499 to go back in stock.

PS5 can get away with a $559 bundle because it was freaking God of War Ragnarok, a new game. Even then Sony has to put it at $509 for over a month.
What you don't seem to understand is that your behaviour puts you in the section of consumers who simply don't want an Xbox Series X at $559. If there was truly sufficient demand that exceeded supply for the standalone, those bundles would still be selling out - even if the consumer doesn't care about Forza, the premise is that they value the XBX at the $559. Waiting for stock because they don't value it that high is the definition of a lack of demand (at $559).

People have demonstrated this to you before, but on the resale market, PS5 commanded premium prices when it was out of stock. Xbox is lucky to be offered as high as RRP. That's another indicator of weak demand for Xbox.

Luckily, you'll see this last fortress fall once Microsoft's poor supply chain management finally corrects course and gets the unbundled version on shelves.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I ain't my problem if MS overproduced the Series S. Selling so little and still being supply constrained in their main territory is embarrassing.
It's always "wait for XYZ to happen and then Xbox will destroy Playstation for sure" with these guys. The majority of the time that both consoles have existed together, Playstation has outsold it. MS themselves have admitted it while trying to convince regulators to let them buy as much as they can.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's always "wait for XYZ to happen and then Xbox will destroy Playstation for sure" with these guys. The majority of the time that both consoles have existed together, Playstation has outsold it. MS themselves have admitted it while trying to convince regulators to let them buy as much as they can.
Too bad that the media covers for Xbox, Phil Spencer should be long gone and ridiculed for the terrible job he made.

Imagine Sony going for a period of more than a year with nothing but Pentiment and HiFi Rush to show for. That is just your average Xbox drought. Xbox gets away with being a terrible product.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Xbox strongest market:
- Subscription growth slowing down
- Xbox in last place in units despite having a $259 console
- PS5 ahead of PS4
- Xbox Series doing worse than Xbox One
- PS5 outselling Xbox by more than 2:1
- Big AAA games doing well

memes-meme.gif

I hope they buy Activision just so they run them down to the ground like they did with all their other studios. We can finally live in a world without COD.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I hope they buy Activision just so they run them down to the ground like they did with all their other studios. We can finally live in a world without COD.
They killed Halo, it's only natural for them to kill CoD next. Hopefully they'll take WoW out of it's misery as well, as someone who really liked early WoW (before expansions) I want it dead.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Too bad that the media covers for Xbox, Phil Spencer should be long gone and ridiculed for the terrible job he made.

Imagine Sony going for a period of more than a year with nothing but Pentiment and HiFi Rush to show for. That is just your average Xbox drought. Xbox gets away with being a terrible product.

Microsoft owns a lot of News sites like MSN, they also pay off senators, this Trillion dollar company is acting like they are the struggling underdogs

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It’s cute that you think Microsoft would do anything intelligently after the merger.

And that you think the merger will pass the FTC.
Out of all the regulators, the FTC has the least chance of winning this. It's MS' home turf where their bribery, I mean lobbying will do wonders. Unlike the CMA, the FTC has to take MS to court and will more than likely lose.

With how the CMA did a 180 and recent news of them moving even closer to allowing this, the deal has more chance to go through than ever.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I didn't say that. Why can't you people ever quote me with my own words.

The Forza bundle is barely in stock. In fact, it's the highest it's been in weeks in the Amazon charts. Last week it was hovering out of the top 100 and is now #64. Are you going to say demand has increased, or has more supply simply come in? It's not available for online purchase at GameStop, you need to go in store.

The $499 non bundled is in more demand. Whenever both SKU are available, the $499 sells more at every retailer. Despite that, it's out of stock everywhere.

And before anyone shows some random third party seller or one store with one unit, no, that isn't a console in stock.

PS2 level sales gap three gens later is not the norm.

If you're comparing Xbox to PS2 it would have to start at 2001 and change at 2005 with the 360. PS2 sales after 2005 was a completely different market of consumers.

And this logic works both ways. Xbox fucked up last gen and stunted themselves with a piss poor second half of 2022.

It's strange, I just checked the main retailer for consoles in Ireland and they have the Forza bundles in stock in all stores but as in US, it seems the console on its own only has 2 units in the entire country.

Is this a soft price increase?

Edited to correct details.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's strange, I just checked the main retailer for consoles in Ireland and they have the Forza bundles in stock in all stores but as in US, it seems the console on its own only has 2 units in the entire country.

Is this a soft price increase?

Edited to correct details.
Forza bundles are a stealth price increase for sure and explains why standalone consoles became so rare.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I think both are true, Series X doesn't have demand, but Forza bundle is even lower demand - Forza is a niche game and old, plus not discounted and is free in gamepass... if you told me I had to pay extra $60 for series x to be bundled with that I'd say no thank you. I think it's also likely that all series x shipments are being converted into bundles to generate more revenue, I just don't get how people are arriving at sales estimates in the environment where microsoft doesn't provide numbers.
gamepass strategy is so bad it even stops bundles from selling lmfao

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just checked now
  • Bestbuy - Xbox Series S and X bundles available
  • Amazon - Xbox Series S and X bundles available
  • Costo - Xbox Series X available for members only, Xbox Series S with a couple remotes and headset available for members only
  • Target - Fuckin stupid thing requires a ZIP code to check stores, but in the random one I added, you can get a Series X with all-access, and the Series S is readily available in store
If I want a Series X in the US I can get it as part of a bundle pretty much everywhere. The whole "not available" is bullshit, and it being in a bundle is added bullshit - If people want the product, 50 quid more for a bundle with additional items will absolutely not prevent a purchase, especially since the competition (PS5 disc) is available for the same 550 quid without any additional items. @Bryank75 seems to be on something with the whole "soft price increase" angle.

I love the damage limitation attempt though.

As for Europe, I can buy a Series X or S everywhere.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just checked now
  • Costo - Xbox Series X available for members only, Xbox Series S with a couple remotes and headset available for members only
  • Target - Fuckin stupid thing requires a ZIP code to check stores, but in the random one I added, you can get a Series X with all-access, and the Series S is readily available in store
If I want a Series X in the US I can get it as part of a bundle pretty much everywhere. The whole "not available" is bullshit, and it being in a bundle is added bullshit - If people want the product, 50 quid more for a bundle with additional items will absolutely not prevent a purchase, especially since the competition (PS5 disc) is available for the same 550 quid without any additional items. @Bryank75 seems to be on something with the whole "soft price increase" angle.

It's like the narrative about a potential price cut for a Series S in the future being a big thing. If people don't want to get one for $259 it doesn't matter if it will go down to $200 in the future.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just checked now

The type or price of the console won’t affect sales in a not available situation because gamers will buy all of them.

What you can say that the supply of Series X is low due some SKU being unavailable time to time.

But if there is any SKU available that means it is a situation that MS is shipping more units than demand needs… sales are not dropping because supply but because gamers are choosing not to buy Xbox (demand issue).

But that is hard concept for InstallBase understand.

IMO Series is reaching market saturation too early… we are just near the 3rd year of console lifetime and COVID even delayed a lot of things.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The type or price of the console won’t affect sales in a not available situation because gamers will buy all of them.

What you can say that the supply of Series X is low due some SKU being unavailable time to time.

But if there is any SKU available that means it is a situation that MS is shipping more units than demand needs… sales are not dropping because supply but because gamers are choosing not to buy Xbox (demand issue).

But that is hard concept for InstallBase understand.

IMO Series is reaching market saturation too early.
They concluded before hand that the Series should allow Xbox to gain market share and then try to fit reality into that narrative. So much for a forum dedicated to game industry analysis if they can't get over making wrong predictions.

I called that the Series was going to be just another One or worse but if it wasn't going like that I would just admit.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They concluded before hand that the Series should allow Xbox to gain market share and then try to fit reality into that narrative. So much for a forum dedicated to game industry analysis if they can't get over making wrong predictions.

I called that the Series was going to be just another One or worse but if it wasn't going like that I would just admit.
Consoles don't sell based in fan fallacies.

Consoles sells when the brand shows they have a good and regular output/delivery of games.
That can takes years to build a brand like that.

But Xbox never build that... since 2010 or so they keep saying "wait for next-year" and sometimes they release a big game and change to "wait for next-year" again.
That "wait for" next-year, next-E3, Bethelda's games hits, Activision Blizzard puschase goes through, etc is a narrative that keep happening since end of 360 gen.
Combined with the "this is the best year/lineup in Xbox history" when they release output is week every year shows why it doesn't sell.

While MS doesn't change that... and for that they need years of regular and good output/delivering... that won't change.

People buy PlayStation and Nintendo because they know they will be happy with what they got.
You can't say the same for Xbox... it is the forever waiting for games.

I think MS wants a easy pass... enter and win the market without make any effort... without working hard to delivery the goods to consumers see Xbox as a viable option.