Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX - 12 PM PT | 3 PM ET | 8PM GMT

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Summary
1AF1A7A7-9A14-4AFF-80D5-98E8609D3D09.jpg

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Others online have already explained how that number isn't at all impressive. Dude is just another cheerleader.
he can't be though, I've seen him be used to push playstation fanboy narratives just as much as Xbox fanboy narratives. He's been called both Pony and Xbot so much

• thinking_hard
Reactions: AshHunter216

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm just pointing out how the rumor started at 2 , then it quickly became ALL, all because of people who blow things out of proportion lmao.
Yeah, like that made any sense that it would be the only xbox thing that they did not have any further "horizons" planned for.

You could see it that the three execs that were on the chairs were not happy about what they were announcing, they know whats coming and I suspect that their choice was either you start releasing games in a way that makes money (profits) fast or somebody else will make the announcement. They decided to bite the bullet.

These are the first four games, this is highly probable that before the fourth one is released they announce a couple more. In the mean time Phil will do full time professional port begging to Sony on Twitter, like he does with Helldiver 2.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Any thoughts on the ‘largest leap of any generation’ for the next xbox? MS can’t help themselves to overhype and then dissapoint rofl
I think it’s likely one of the oem consoles. Asus (for example) could make a $1k box that is “high end” that is essentially a pc. This would also tie into Phil mentioning you get “entitlements” across PC and Xbox when you buy a game. So “next gen” could essentially just be PCs that they support with BC and cross buys and voila, they are out of the hardware game while still having plausible deniability about not actually dumping Xbox, and they are essentially just a game publisher at that point.

Just speculation though.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Any thoughts on the ‘largest leap of any generation’ for the next xbox? MS can’t help themselves to overhype and then dissapoint rofl
With the latest development in generative AI I suspect that there may be some kind of frame generation made by AI instead of traditional rendering in 3 or 4 years.

Consoles built around that concept (assuming this is workable) would have great potential to bring in the most striking leap in capabilities since ... I don't know, but that was a long time ago I guess.

Also, prepare for your favorite youtubers to lose their jobs, same for lots of media personalities that could just be replaced by AI generated personas that look the same throughout their whole life.

Reactions: Entropi

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Project Mara, Ninja Theory will photoscan their entire office and you'll be able to experience all of it in 8K around 2034. You'll really feel like you are Batman a guy in their office.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

It possibly means the leaked next-gen design is still the plan. Imo this is the wrong direction, but has potential to deliver a meaningful bump in CPU performance. CPU performance has sagged a bit in the last 2 generations:

8bC9LfLAMwtsyRjTutLvge-1200-80.jpg

Why is it the wrong direction? Because committing to x86 allows you to target a wide variety of hardware with one build of the game. If you want to support handhelds and consoles and high-end PC desktops, it's more elegant/efficient/feasible to have one build. Mid->low range AMD CPUs might hold back console performance compared to other options, but most publishers aren't swinging for the fences anyway.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It possibly means the leaked next-gen design is still the plan. Imo this is the wrong direction, but has potential to deliver a meaningful bump in CPU performance. CPU performance has sagged a bit in the last 2 generations:

8bC9LfLAMwtsyRjTutLvge-1200-80.jpg

Why is it the wrong direction? Because committing to x86 allows you to target a wide variety of hardware with one build of the game. If you want to support handhelds and consoles and high-end PC desktops, it's more elegant/efficient/feasible to have one build. Mid->low range AMD CPUs might hold back console performance compared to other options, but most publishers aren't swinging for the fences anyway.

I’ve always said ARM (RISC architectures) should make a comeback to consoles. Too many advantages to power consumption and performance to ignore. MS is right on the money there.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I’ve always said ARM (RISC architectures) should make a comeback to consoles. Too many advantages to power consumption and performance to ignore. MS is right on the money there.
There's a case for it, but I don't think hardware is the main driver of pretty on screen visuals since the tail end of the PS3 era. Money is.

Reactions: Entropi