Microsoft Q3/FY24 Report Highlights

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Jim Ryan was against PC ports. Kenichiro Yoshida & Hiroki Totoki are responsible for ALL of this
u2joKyS.png

This push of PC might’ve not even been Jim Ryan idea since he’s been in the company for 30 years & instead Sony Japanese side or at the very least Shawn Laden. It would be a tragedy if this PC port push was all Sony Japan side wouldn’t be surprise they made some really dumb moves. All PS had to do is follow Nintendo till AI continue to evolve around gaming & overall gaming budget gets massively decreased with the use of AI & live service instead they decided to give there direct competitor the only thing that makes the PS platform & storefront special & it’s own ability to compete w other wall garden hardware platform & storefront

I would love to see a interview w Jim Ryan regarding the PC ports & its negative effect now looking at Xbox & his comments during the ABK ordeal against PC being a direct competitor more specifically the dynamic w Steam & them building a library w Xbox & PS games while having a piece of hardware (Steamdeck) & its platform/storefront being a close wall garden. Why isn’t CSGO & DOTA on PS? Oh we know why

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Why isn’t CSGO & DOTA on PS? Oh we know why
Frankly the CSGO and DOTA demographic is not on consoles. Eastern Europe, Latin America, SEA, China are the biggest regions for these 2 games and they are dominated by PC. And another big reason is the whole social aspect, people in SEA, China especially play it in Gaming/LAN cafes whereas consoles are generally for home use

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

800K global for 3 whole months. 😬🤣

They will genuinely struggle to hit even 4 million for the entire calendar year at this rate, let alone 5 million. Could be worst launch-aligned for a YoY drop than OG Xbox's 3rd CY > 4th CY (~ 35%).

BTW OG Xbox sold 4.1 million in its 4th CY (2005), but at least the 360 launch partly explained that (plus MS intentionally reducing production of OG Xbox to prioritize 360). Xbox Series, tracking at this pace, would barely hit 3.2 million for the entire year.

I'd wager it does between 3.6 million - 3.8 million for the entire year, but that's still a pathetic number and still below OG Xbox when launch-aligned, let alone XBO, let alone 360.

Worth mentioning Welfare ALWAYS overestimates xbox numbers. Also he says shipped not sold to consumers so yeah, its bad. Thats 2.4 Million consoles SHIPPED in a year if they are lucky.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Yeah it is deceptive when you take away Activision's Blizzard that they've just acquired Xbox revenue is down 🤣

They are commemorating this year...

Next year it will be down because AB will already be added in the comparison for both years

I'm not sure how that spin can help Xbox 🤷‍♂️

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Honestly, the Xbox trifecta of Halo, gears, forza on playstation would catapult the popularity of those franchises to the moon. It's the second wind those franchises need.
I don’t see them archiving good popularity on PS at.

Forza will be a shadow of GT.
Halo won’t have the Bungie name behind.
Maybe Gears has chance?

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Honestly, the Xbox trifecta of Halo, gears, forza on playstation would catapult the popularity of those franchises to the moon. It's the second wind those franchises need.
Eh if Halo 5 or infinite come to PS, sure they will get a surge of players due to the novelty and having the xbox mascot on PS but after a couple of days they will also realize why the games are dogshit and will quit. Can't comment on gears as I don't like cover shooters and I am not big into racers but GT suffices unless you are into inferior arcade racing games instead of sim racing

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I don’t see them archiving good popularity on PS at.

Forza will be a shadow of GT.
Halo won’t have the Bungie name behind.
Maybe Gears has chance?
They have been offering these games as part of their mediocre buffet for the past 7 years. If they go multiplat, these franchises actually have a chance to sell way more copies.

• brain

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Eh if Halo 5 or infinite come to PS, sure they will get a surge of players due to the novelty and having the xbox mascot on PS but after a couple of days they will also realize why the games are dogshit and will quit. Can't comment on gears as I don't like cover shooters and I am not big into racers but GT suffices unless you are into inferior arcade racing games instead of sim racing
I agree. Forza horizons would be popular on PS but FM would just be in GTs shadow. I can see gears and halo pushing 1m+ on ps easily.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Doubt that. I had an Xbox Series X myself and I have given every major Xbox franchise a fair chance in playing the games. Gears, Halo, Forza, Starfield, Fallout are all so unbelievable boring. Xbox has the worst exclusives of all. No way this junk will be popular on PS. Thou Fable was very entertaining. Fable + Lost Odyssee would be successful ports on PS.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: saltyashell
24 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan was against PC ports. Kenichiro Yoshida & Hiroki Totoki are responsible for ALL of this
u2joKyS.png

Glad someone else brought this up (with receipts). I think a lot of PS fans might've misjudged Jim Ryan, and went after him too harshly. He was the one who walked back Herman Hulst's PC talks, for example. Now both Jim and Connie (another PS vet) are out.

For all we know there could've been an internal power struggle where folks like Jim & Connie wanted to reign SIE back to what worked & made the brand what it is today, but might've ultimately lost that battle. We don't know. And we won't know if Totoki & whoever steps up from here will take SIE in the right or wrong direction.

But, we will have very good indications of that starting this year, between any adjustments mentioned for their PC multiplat strategy, if/when there is a Showcase (and what 1P & 3P exclusives are revealed there), how they introduce the PS5 Pro, what other investments they make into gaming this year among 1P & 3P (and how), etc.

I hope those moves are good ones and the best not just for SIE's own growth goals, but also best for PlayStation gamers and best for respecting & building upon the brand's legacy & roots. We'll see what happens though.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Doubt that. I had an Xbox Series X myself and I have every major Xbox franchise a fair chance in playing the games. Gears, Halo, Forza, Starfirld, Fallout are all so unbelievable boring. Xbox has the worst exclusives of all. No way this junk will be popular on PS. Thou Fable was very entertaining. Fable + Lost Odyssee would be successful ports on PS.
I signed up for two different PC Game Pass trials to try Starfield and I couldn't play more than 10 hours before extreme boredom kicked in. Starfield reminds me of a washed up boxer who still think he has it, but is way past his prime.

I like Gears well enough. I liked Halo 1 back in the day, but that whole series and the story seemed boring as shit to me, so I never went back to it. I loved the isometric Fallout 1 and 2, but thought the Bethesda versions never quite got "Fallout" right for me.

• brain

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nope Totoki is first only a temporary CEO. Second, he needs to clean up the mess Jim Ryan has caused. In my opinion it appears a bit desperate to wish PlayStation to end exactly like Xbox. That's actually completely reality distorted. No way PlayStation will become an Xbox 2.0
Totoki will clean up Jim’s mess? Have you even been paying attention? Totoki seems to be worse than Jim, @Etifilio is 100% right, and Japanese doesn’t = perfect. Kenichiro and Totoki are horrible execs.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It quite baffles me how many of you guys still don't see problem with the west. This is the influence of your so beloved western leaders.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Glad someone else brought this up (with receipts). I think a lot of PS fans might've misjudged Jim Ryan, and went after him too harshly. He was the one who walked back Herman Hulst's PC talks, for example. Now both Jim and Connie (another PS vet) are out.

For all we know there could've been an internal power struggle where folks like Jim & Connie wanted to reign SIE back to what worked & made the brand what it is today, but might've ultimately lost that battle. We don't know. And we won't know if Totoki & whoever steps up from here will take SIE in the right or wrong direction.

But, we will have very good indications of that starting this year, between any adjustments mentioned for their PC multiplat strategy, if/when there is a Showcase (and what 1P & 3P exclusives are revealed there), how they introduce the PS5 Pro, what other investments they make into gaming this year among 1P & 3P (and how), etc.

I hope those moves are good ones and the best not just for SIE's own growth goals, but also best for PlayStation gamers and best for respecting & building upon the brand's legacy & roots. We'll see what happens though.
Makes no sense, really.

It was power struggle with Layden, who according to some wanted pc ports,(he really wasn't ), Jim won that power struggle just to make massive number of ports? And then lost power struggle to release more pc ports?

Yeah, right, very Logical 😂

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Makes no sense, really.

It was power struggle with Layden, who according to some wanted pc ports,(he really wasn't ), Jim won that power struggle just to make massive number of ports? And then lost power struggle to release more pc ports?

Yeah, right, very Logical 😂
They all cope. I still can't understand how the folks don't see that Jim Ryan was a massive cause of why PlayStation moved in many wrong directions. If Jim Ryan would have been still in charge...PlayStation would have end up as Xbox 2.0
Jim Ryan was walking disaster. Shawn would have never damaged PlayStation as Jimbo did. Even if Layden came up with the PC idea. Jimbo was cancer.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They all cope. I still can't understand how the folks don't see that Jim Ryan was a massive cause of why PlayStation moved in many wrong directions. If Jim Ryan would have been still in charge...PlayStation would have end up as Xbox 2.0
Jim Ryan was walking disaster. Shawn would have never damaged PlayStation as Jimbo did. Even if Layden came up with the PC idea. Jimbo was cancer.
This Layden stuff is on the same level as Matrick.
Phil never at fault, the same as Jimbo.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Thinking Totoki will clean up Jim’s mess is also cope. Jim was trash, but he seems to be even worse