Microsoft: Xbox mid-gen refresh devices (FTC documents "leak")

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
They are imitating the DualSense with the controller. As usual zero creativity.

But there's recycled materials in there!

What crow said about disc drives going extinct is not even controversial in any form and is exactly where the industry is going. I don’t get the excitement. Like the fuck?
Phasing out the disc version completely when the same retailers selling xboxes are making money on disc sales is something that Sony attempted with the PSP Go, and it went bad.
Really bad.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Going all-digital. Well well well.... who needs physical online-only DRM when you go all-digital, and take away the physical choice.

Fuck Microsoft. Disgusting cancer in gaming.

Fuck Sony too.... we're not going to act like Sony won't move there too. Sony is just smartly letting Microsoft set the stage and take the brunt of any blowback first....like with the Xbox One S, now Series S, and with the new Series X refresh. But don't you forget the all-digital PS5 exists, and is $100 dollar cheaper than physical PS5 even though the drive at best costs them $25 a pop (and I think I'm being generous here), and all associated cost added as a result of this drive, like higher shipping net weight, warranty repairs etc will at most add $10 extra bucks lifetime (also generous here)...yet you're seeing a $100 price difference, not $50. Pretty clear what the incentive being pushed is - buy the digital. Online Paywall redux.

The top players shaping the market to their liking.... and you have ignorant drones saying this is where consumers are going organically. No idiot, you're being guided at almost every step of the way by the incentive structure being built around your eyes.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
20230919_070944.jpg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What crow said about disc drives going extinct is not even controversial in any form and is exactly where the industry is going. I don’t get the excitement. Like the fuck?
Over recent years the percent of total game sales that are digital kept growing and growing. In PS now represent 2/3 of total game sales and keep growing.

At the same time, add-ons (dlc, IAP, etc) also keep growing and growing and now are a huge part of total game revenue. Game subs also kept growing their revenue.

Meaning, digital console game sales represent a small portion of the total console game revenue that over years keep getting smaller. By the end of this generation will be probably small enough to justify to make the consoles digital only.

For the next gen they may keep the disk reader maybe as an optional add-on accesory for BC purposes at least in case of PS.

PS5 changed to 6nm in 2022.

PS5 SSD is already next generation.

PS5 already has a true next generation controller.

MS is always last at everything.

Now they’re trying to copy Sony.
All companies try to learn from their competitors and copy what it works or what they think it has potential.

Normally the market leader makes more things that works, so the other ones under it copy more often the market leader to hopefully get closer.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
It's a slow, "smart" phase out of physical media, where at every step of the way there are small little nudges to the direction the platform holder wants which is the direction where not surprisingly the very same platform holders have more control and leverage over the consumer in the ecosystem, and thus the ability to extract more... i.e increase margins and cut away all external secondary markets and economic activity outside its control. It's not happenstance and a conflagration of coincidences... only idiots could process it that way.

You can see in that marketing slide that they will focus on the supposed benefits, even energy usage but never on what you lose - ownership of a license, control of a license, permanence, freedom. Of course, you're obviously supposed to accept the unwritten rule that in a marketing ad for a product you don't advertise against yourself.

Without Microsoft leading the way, it would go much, much slower, snail pace lower on the console space. The One S set the ball in motion, damage is lasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
As for Phil spencer He has always been political scum that can't be trusted. So none of the FTC stuff is surprising. The only thing suprising is how long he has held onto his job despite only having 2 percent of the high end console market.

A monopoly is bad in any case and Microsoft has thrived off monopolies for their entire existence. How some people can cheer on Microsoft as "the underdog" is beyond me. Would Sony and Nintendo do what they're doing in their place? Possible, but they don't have the resources so its irrelevant to discuss.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Looks like a trash can and they copycat dualsense...
But the biggest problem is drive removal. Consoles don't have multiple cdkeys shops and control over my files like steam. That's why digital sucks on consoles.
Own nothing ad be happy... and pay more because you have no options