Microsoft: Xbox mid-gen refresh devices (FTC documents "leak")

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Sorry but I don't see any mid-gen refresh in the OP.
Can somebody point it to me please?

There isn't one.
It's a base-gen refresh / side-grade with improved wifi and bluetooth, more PCIe lanes in the I/O (probably gone from 2 to 4 lanes PCIe 4.0 to use the WD SN740) and a new gamepad that mimics the DualSense's haptics.
Same price as the 2020 release but took out the bluray drive so you can't share discs with your friends and the retailers get cut off from the reseller margins.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There isn't one.
It's a base-gen refresh / side-grade with improved wifi and bluetooth, more PCIe lanes in the I/O (probably gone from 2 to 4 lanes PCIe 4.0 to use the WD SN740) and a new gamepad that mimics the DualSense's haptics.
Same price as the 2020 release but took out the bluray drive so you can't share discs with your friends and the retailers get cut off from the reseller margins.
So just a model upgrade.

I was thinking the OP was lacking some pic from the mid-gen refresh or something like that (I even though the pics were not showing to me).

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
@TubzGaming

These are the exactly same Series X not a mid-gen refresh.
It is just a model redesign.

Mid-gen refresh means hardware upgrade.

It doesn't necessarily mean that. A refresh can simply mean an updated product, which is the case here.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It doesn't necessarily mean that. A refresh can simply mean an updated product, which is the case here.
I'm a PS fan.
We call that model upgrade (new WiFi, new BT, CPU/GPU die shrink, etc).
Mid-gen refresh as hardware upgrade (new CPU, new GPU, new memory, etc).

One is a difference hardware entry... the others is the same just with some minor changes.
PS Slim come to mind as model upgrade (all generations had one or more).

Mid-gen refresh started last gen with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm a PS fan.
Mid-gen refresh as hardware upgrade (CPU, GPU, etc).

No, you call it that. What you call it is inconsequential to this discussion. Refreshes in products are very well established and they can mean sweeping changes to the product, including upgrades, to simple product form changes, down to packaging in some instances.

There's no special definition for PS Fans or Xbox Fans.

A model upgrade is, by definition, a model refresh. You're literally refreshing your product line with some different, in this case including the packaging.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No, you call it that. What you call it is inconsequential to this discussion. Refreshes in products are very well established and they can mean sweeping changes to the product, including upgrades, to simple product form changes, down to packaging in some instances.

A model upgrade is, by definition, a model refresh. You're literally refreshing your product line with some different, in this case including the packaging.
Nah.

That is not a mid-gen refresh or upgrade... it is just a lie.
And you are being fooled by that lie.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
When is the model being upgraded?
Model refresh (or upgrade) is the term used when you release a new model of a product.... because you upgraded the previous model.
Example: PS4 Slim, PS4 2TB, etc.

Mid-gen refresh (or upgrade) is when you design a new hardware in the middle of the generation... it is basically a entry new hardware.
Example: PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

It is a new revision.

Same hardware, improve feature.

Check back to see what Sony called PS2 7xxxx, PS3-PS4 2xxx

The PS4 Pro is a refresh because of upragded GPU.

When a refresh happened they don't stop selling old model, except maybe new 3DS.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Model refresh (or upgrade) is the term used when you release a new model of a product.... because you upgraded the previous model.
Example: PS4 Slim.

Mid-gen refresh (or upgrade) is when you design a new hardware in the middle of the generation... it is basically a entry new hardware.
Example: PS4 Pro.

That's not what I asked. I'll repeat: WHEN is the model being upgraded?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's not what I asked. I'll repeat: WHEN is the model being upgraded?
When they release it as a new model?

The three consoles in that picture are upgraded models.

QK9O3HwX_o.png

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I'm a PS fan.
Mid-gen refresh as hardware upgrade (new CPU, new GPU, new memory, etc).

One is a difference hardware entry... the others is the same just with some minor changes.
PS Slim come to mind as model upgrade (all generations had one or more).

Mid-gen refresh started last gen with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
The PS4 Slim took the Optical port. The shitbox probably took the disc drive as well.

How is that an upgrade?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is a new revision.

Same hardware, improve feature.

Check back to see what Sony called PS2 7xxxx, PS3-PS4 2xxx

The PS4 Pro is a refresh because of upragded GPU.

When a refresh happened they don't stop selling old model, except maybe new 3DS.
He is just being fooled by Microsoft PR like they always do sadly.
They will launch that model upgrade as mid-gen refresh and call a day lol

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'll try and make this very simple @ethomaz @historia

A change in a product / brand (Xbox being the brand) is called a Brand Refresh. That's where the term comes from. Usually, brand refreshes involve changing one or more of the following:
  • Logo
  • Packaging
  • Marketing strategy
  • the product itself
  • etc
In this case, they are changing the packaging (to a bin), the marketing strategy (using the green virtue signalling) and the product itself (not the APU, but other characteristics).

This change falls completely in line with what is a brand refresh, and by consequence, a product refresh.

It occurs in the middle of a generation, therefore they can absolutely call it a mid-gen refresh. Does it fall on the mold of last generation's mid-gen refresh? absolutely not. Have other companies used it before in the gaming space to designate their slim products? Fuck no. But we're not talking groundbreaking shit here.

I sincerely hope this is not about me.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
They will launch that model upgrade as mid-gen refresh and call a day lol
And no disc drive option?

I mean like screw Sony for the optional thing, but well, I guess they wants to offset costs.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The PS4 Slim took the Optical port. The shitbox probably took the disc drive as well.

How is that an upgrade?
Upgrades can remove features... there are a lot of upgrade models of products that lose features... in software it is a common thing (see how many features Windows removes in each upgrade).

But talking about PS4 Slim upgrade: APU (die shrink to 16nm), Dual-Band WiFi, 1TF HDD from what I remember.
It lose the AUX port (Optical port).