Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Xbox's game anywhere vision of xcloud and subscriptions needs Activision Blizzard to go through just like they needed Zenimax, for content. If they want to ditch their unprofitable console business, they'd need to have content that people
View attachment 691

I saw this on the other forum today. As the original comment suggest that all of the vocal Xbox fans wants is Free COD and Diablo on gamepass. Its not about if they strongly feel that MS should be able to own ABK or not. Its not about how taking a huge Publisher off the market can have an effect on competition or Not. Its a selfish need of I like this game but im too broke or rather spend my money on other things instead of buying this new version of X game every time there is a new version.

I swear, I hate this mentality of gamers that devalues the product and work being put into a game so they can so call get over on the industry. If this race to the bottom dont change soon, who's to say a new gaming crash wont happen anytime soon.
What's crazy is MS has enough money to secure COD on GamePass without ever needing to acquire them. MS paying Acti $1 billion a year for 60 years for COD on GamePass would still be less than it cost to acquire them. MS has enough quarterly profit to write off that ongoing expense as costs to grow the business. There should be no defense of this acquisition by GamePass warriors at all.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Not really. PlayStation doesn't "need" Xbox to compete as a strong 2nd in order to prosper. Nintendo doesn't really have a handheld competitor anymore but they've been putting out some of their best 1P games ever on the Switch. Now, would it be nice if Xbox were a stronger #2 to compete against it? Of course. But is it a necessity in order to keep PlayStation healthy or honest? No.

I mean, the PS2 was virtually uncontested by Dreamcast, Xbox or Gamecube, but for many that's still a golden age in gaming and we saw a lot of the best games ever come out on that system. Lack of any of those other systems providing any real market competition (in terms of outselling the PS2) didn't stop Sony from dropping PS2's price over the years, or doing a Greatest Hits line of games at cheaper retail prices, either. And the online (albeit not as good as XBL's of the time) was free.

If I want Xbox to be better (and I do), that's so that the brand can live up to its own potential, not to keep PlayStation "honest". PlayStation doesn't need Xbox for that, and it doesn't need Xbox in order to be motivated to keep empowering great 1P and 3P games. Customers and money are reasons enough Sony would want to keep that going strong. But I would definitely like an Xbox that is a stronger competitor.

I want them to earn it, though, not buy their way into the position. Like I've always said, Microsoft does have some quality games. They just released one last month, and another one (FH5) is getting a rally update later this year. I've never agreed with the idea that Microsoft's 1P is "trash"...but there's a difference between having mostly good 1P games and having 1P games with mainstream, mass-market appeal. It's the latter of those which Xbox is VERY weak in; they either outright lack such games, or have an IP or two fitting the bill yet is not associated with Xbox as a brand.

Halo is shell of its former self. The Forza games have never been big mainstream hits. Gears is mostly irrelevant now. Cuphead saw more success on Switch, PS4 and PC well beyond what it did on Xbox. Sea of Thieves is "modestly" popular but not in a critical way. See what I mean? I think MS know this and it's a massive reason they went for Zenimax, and why they're so desperate for acquiring ABK. Elder Scrolls, DOOM, Fallout, COD, Warcraft....these are names people know, they have tons of mainstream mass-market appeal, and they're also generally great games on top of all that.

But like I said, I don't really agree with Microsoft wanting to buy their way to that rank in terms of such IP. When you look at Sony's marquee 1P games, between GOW, Spiderman, TLOU, Uncharted, GT etc....Sony spent many years, decades in some cases, carefully building up those IPs as franchises with mainstream, mass-market appeal, over multiple console generations. When you look at Nintendo with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc...they've done the exact same thing, building those up over decades with carefully curated games over multiple generations of hardware.

Microsoft's problem is the same as what Sega suffered from: lack of marquee IP retention over multiple generations. Almost every console gen, Sega discarded older IP and made newer ones. In some cases, like Sonic, they actually skipped a whole console generation curating the IP the way they should have, which impacted future releases (Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast would have been an even bigger deal if a proper Sonic game came out for the Saturn). Games that SHOULD HAVE (IMO) gotten sequels never did, like Ristar, Pulstar, and Eternal Champions (all of these should have gotten sequels on the Saturn, and maybe even sequels to those on the Dreamcast). Games like Phantasy Star should not have skipped the Saturn, either.

In Sega's case I think their arcade heritage was a big reason into why they were late to start curating IP over multiple generations, because in the arcade space it was regular to do one-and-done type of games (IP/franchise-wise) or not to linger on a given IP for so long. You needed big new hooks to draw players to your offerings so going through IP in short spaces of time was normal. However that wasn't going to translate well to console and I don't think Sega really started zeroing in on it until it was a bit too late. Microsoft doesn't actually have that excuse; they were in the PC gaming space before coming to console and should have known from there about how many of the bigger games (Ultima, Space Quest, etc.) built up their audiences through multiple releases over periods of years and across multiple PC "generations". If not from there, then they should have been able to observe Nintendo's work in IP retention for Mario, Zelda etc. over the NES, SNES and N64 generations (and to a lesser extent, Sega's with Sonic and Virtua Fighter), learning early from those.

But MS let almost all of their marquee franchises either burn out or stagnate too soon. Halo peaked with the 360 (critically & commercially); Gears also peaked with the 360 (critically & commercially). For all intents and purposes, Forza Motorsport stagnated in terms of market growth years ago. Fable peaked with 360 (critically & commercially). Crackdown peaked with 360, as well (critically & commercially, and Crackdown 3 killed the franchise). MS never built on IP they should have in order to keep long-term variety in their 1P lineup (Viva Pinata, Too Human, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey etc.). And with XBO there are IP they should have tried building on harder and associate more closely with the Xbox brand, but failed to, such as Cuphead.

All of those are due to Microsoft's negligence, but unlike Sega (who had to leave as a platform holder and focus on rebuilding mindshare of several IP on once-competitor systems), Microsoft have decided to stick with making consoles. And, they realize their problem....I just don't agree with them buying massive publishers and IP as a fully justified solution, not without some compromises (which is what concessions, hopefully involving structural remedies, would involve). Microsoft could have easily spent the second half of the XBO gen rebuilding their 1P the way Sony did with PS3 (which paid off massively to repair brand damage and helped set up the PS4 for success). But Microsoft chose not to do that. They chose to dilute the brand identity of Xbox by putting all 1P games on PC Day 1. They chose to focus on programs like BC and services like Game Pass instead of completing games like Scalebound and Phantom Dust reboot, or salvaging train wrecks like Crackdown 3.

Microsoft didn't put their priorities where they really mattered and now they're paying the price for it. But just because they're paying the price, doesn't mean they should get to buy up giant 3P publishers on their own terms and potentially set a dangerous precedent for industry consolidation (at least in terms of buying huge 3P publishers as a platform holder; I don't really like Embracer Group acquiring a lot of studios either but they have no incentives to leverage that content for a non-existent console or gaming service). Mind, I still think they should be able to buy ABK, but not without accepting some form of structural remedies (and I've already mentioned what I would consider fair structural remedies, if they could enable things like MS retaining partial ownership of the divested asset, but MS/Sony/Nintendo able to acquire publishing rights of content of the divested asset for their own platforms, have some limitations for service rights depending on if they're Day 1 or not, etc.).

And if Microsoft are stubborn to the point of not accepting that, then maybe it was never a good idea for them to acquire them 🤷‍♂️
The ps3 happened

• brain
Reactions: Zzero
D

Deleted member 417

I swear some of these vocal "fans" is either a gamer who just started gaming at the end of the 360 era or disgruntled Sega fanboys who's still blaming Sony for Sega's downfall. Their rebuttals always show they dont know their gaming history and always try to paint Sony as the BIG Bad. Its Sony and Nintendo who is carry most of the industry on their backs when it comes to the console market.
I think it's the first and not the second. I'm a Sega fan who blamed Sony for half the reason the Dreamcast died but then I grew up. Even if I hadn't, I would take Dreamcast-killing ps2 and OG xbox over the last decade of gaming in a heart beat.

I think it's just the entitled, spoiled young generation who don't care about the history of gaming and even worse, they hate that history.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
I think it's the first and not the second. I'm a Sega fan who blamed Sony for half the reason the Dreamcast died but then I grew up. Even if I hadn't, I would take Dreamcast-killing ps2 and OG xbox over the last decade of gaming in a heart beat.

I think it's just the entitled, spoiled young generation who don't care about the history of gaming and even worse, they hate that history.
Im glad you was able to grow past that and not limit your gaming experiences due once feeling that way

Reactions: VillaiN

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I remember a pretty decent number of people on ERA have the sentiment that Sony need to be punished for what happened to Sega's hardware division and supposedly what they're trying to do to Xbox. I feel like in most cases in this industry, the biggest factors that contribute to a decline in a brand are all self-inflicted things like pricing and poor management.

Edit: Though there are rare circumstances like industry consolidation leading to an arms race over buying publishers in which not everyone can afford to keep up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Im glad you was able to grow past that and not limit your gaming experiences due once feeling that way
I barely had pubes on my balls when Sega died. I have always gravitated to the most exciting, risky and adventurous consoles though. Mega drive, Ps1, Dreamcast, Xbox, 360, Ps4 and (soon) PS5
More like hipsters who know about the history but just want to be contrarian all the time
Exactly this
I remember a pretty decent number of people on ERA have the sentiment that Sony need to be punished for what happened to Sega's hardware division and supposedly what they're trying to do to Xbox. I feel like in most cases in this industry, the biggest factors that contribute to a decline in a brand are all self-inflicted things like pricing and poor management.

Edit: Though there are rare circumstances like industry consolidation leading to an arms race over buying publishers in which not everyone can afford to keep up.
When I said I blamed Sony for Half of Sega's downfall it's because the other half landed squarely on my feet. Where i grew up there was a carboot sale (English yard sale on a field) I used to buy 5 dreamcast games for £10. As a nipper, this was the deal of a life time. By the time the dreamcast stopped being supported, i reckon i had played 90% of every game they ever made, save for some obscure japanese games.

Anyone who blames the competition as a functioning adult is a mong. Competition is everything in life, it is the basis and essence of evolution; the strongest survive. Sega made a few bad mistakes and by the time they realised that it was too late, it was too late.

As mental as this sounds, Microsoft are cheating the system. From capitalism and the free-market to evolution and the natural order. They are failing, but they are not evolving. External pressure is demanding they change and they are weaseling out of it. I don't want Xbox to cease to exist, nor do I want Microsoft out of the industry. I want to see them change and grow and evolve and go back to pumping out quality games like they did in the OG Xbox and 360 era.

I want this deal to fall through because I want Xbox to be faced with an ultimatum: Go back to what made you great, or pack your bags and gtfo of the industry. At the moment, they are a cancerous, gangrenous limb infecting the body and they either need to heal or be cut off.

24 Jun 2022
View attachment 691

I saw this on the other forum today. As the original comment suggest that all of the vocal Xbox fans wants is Free COD and Diablo on gamepass. Its not about if they strongly feel that MS should be able to own ABK or not. Its not about how taking a huge Publisher off the market can have an effect on competition or Not. Its a selfish need of I like this game but im too broke or rather spend my money on other things instead of buying this new version of X game every time there is a new version.

I swear, I hate this mentality of gamers that devalues the product and work being put into a game so they can so call get over on the industry. If this race to the bottom dont change soon, who's to say a new gaming crash wont happen anytime soon.

Yep; Rockkerboy was saying the same thing in the main Reset MS/ABK thread yesterday. "I just want everything in Game Pass." The same Game Pass, mind, that there's a dedicated thread for on ResetERA talking about using regional exploits (via VPN) to keep getting the service for free, to keep abusing the loopholes for $1 deals and keep doing the stacking trick beyond the 3-year period.

I think these people feel entitled to these games like it's a right, even a civil right, and that they should have access to these games even if they aren't able or willing to pay for them Day 1 (or wait for a sale to buy them for cheap). But what really kind of pisses me off is that they don't stipulate these same expectations upon Nintendo's games; there, they are more than fine with paying full price even 5-7 years later. They don't kick up a fuss about Nintendo "needing" to put their games in a subscription service, or port them to PC, or bring them to other consoles.

IMO the truth is that these people still do very much in fact care about console brand identity, exclusives, and the traditional model itself, but only WRT Nintendo. They want MS to buy up big publishers and dump their games into Game Pass because they know MS can financially afford to dump the money necessary for that type of strategy (and have been duped into thinking Microsoft are their friend and a charity).

They want Sony to emulate Microsoft's strategy 1:1 even though Sony as a corporation (and PlayStation as a subsidiary) have more in common with Nintendo's structure than they do Microsoft's (let alone their market cap and profit differences; Sony's market cap is 2x Nintendo's but Nintendo makes roughly 2x in net profits than PlayStation (IIRC). As well, both companies are dwarfed by Microsoft not just in market cap, but also revenue and net profits (where MS makes as much in profits per years as almost 1.25x Nintendo's market cap, and roughly 75% of Sony's entire market cap!!)

Modern day gamers aren't gamers. Like a poster on gaf said to another poster "If gaming wasn't an option you would be happy with a different medium" and he was dead right.

These politically charged, eternally offended, cheap-skate gamers don't give a rats arse about games, the industry or the hobby. They want everything for free, regardless of what it costs to quality. They don't care that games are always online because they don't care about the preservation of games because they don't care about gaming.

These are the parasites that I wish we could flush from the industry. They make up the vocal majority and companies pander to these fickle, feckless fanatics, who will disappear to the next fad as quick as they latched onto this one.

That's a great way to put it. Some of these people feel like gaming is a right, not a privilege. And even beyond that, they just "consooome" whatever is being fed to them, same way some people are with the MCU.

A good amount of people who want this deal to go through simply so they can get COD and all ABK games "for free" in Game Pass don't really see the value in those games the way they otherwise say. They either don't know or don't care about the history of the medium, and don't have any sort of cultural connection with games that they play. It's the new trendy thing they get to socialize about at the watercooler with their buddies, or what they feel can be useful for pushing their own form of social commentary through.

And I'm not saying those things are themselves necessarily bad; I'm not trying to gatekeep at all. But the fact a lot of people for which gaming equivalates to being a "cool snack" that they somehow love to do, but don't want to financially support through means which have historically worked and provided plenty of options for those wanting to spend cheaper ANYWAY (and WITHOUT coincidentally consolidating ownership of lots of big revenue-generating 3P content under a platform holder), are driving a lot of the discourse online WRT this deal, is somewhat appalling.

I think the history of the hobby, the history of entertainment and the history of media have shown us for hundreds, even thousands of years, that price as a value is never as important to people as is the perception of value attached to the quality of the work itself. As in to say, just because something is super-cheap, doesn't mean most people automatically gravitate towards it. Outside of really bad recessions or depressions, "dollar-friendliness" has never been the driving factor for a person choosing one thing over the other.

It's been really weird to see arguments in gaming the past couple of years hinge cheap value as being the most important factor, when actual market results show almost the exact opposite. The people who just want this deal to pass uncontested (or virtually uncontested) so that they can get everything for "free" in Game Pass, are either ignorantly or willingly aiding in what would most likely lead to an actual industry collapse.

Say MS get what they want with very little in the way of behavioral remedies, and no structural ones. They immediately move to put COD and other ABK games into Game Pass. In the short-term you're going to see more and more PS gamers go "Why am I paying $70 for this when I can play it in Game Pass?", so you'll see a drop in game sales not just on Xbox but also PlayStation platforms. Even some Nintendo gamers will eventually go the same way. Microsoft have said they have no inclination to raise Game Pass prices, but I think that's partly based on the belief that even if they do put these games in Game Pass, they expect people to keep buying them full-price on other platforms. But why would they? Aren't you putting those games in the service to draw those people to play them via that means rather than buying the game itself? So that you can get those long-term paying subscribers?

That leaves Microsoft forced to increase the cost of the Game Pass service. They do that, they get some drop-off, because people subbed for the service being cheap are going to drop it as the price goes up and/or loopholes are closed. But depending on how long they've been subbed, they may have now been trained to not buy games Day 1, or buy them at all. So maybe instead of waiting for sales on games, they just go with the cheapest subscription service out there. This actually now forces other companies to compete on who can provide the most content at the cheapest price relative to competitors in terms of gaming subscription services, but this is where Microsoft's size and revenue advantage from non-Xbox divisions starts to create problems. They COULD raise the price of Game Pass to compensate for decreased direct sales...or they could choose not to. It doesn't really matter to them either way, because gaming revenue is peanuts to them as a corporation.

That isn't the case with Sony, or Nintendo for that matter. If they're forced to now compete in terms of subscription services due to MS leveraging acquired content for Game Pass, training expectations within gamers to prefer that model, there's little in ways of realistic terms that companies the size of Sony or Nintendo can do to decondition gamers out of those expectations within a short span of time, meaning they either have to take massive losses for some period of years, or hope that a gaming crash occurs to "shock" the customer base out of a failing model and to be more receptive of an alternative (at a quicker pace).

And there are two ways a crash would occur, in that scenario. Either ambition/scope/scale/quality of content within the services is scaled back to match the projected sub growth and revenue/profit amounts, or the companies now competing on the trained expectations of subscription services bleed away money faster due to no scaling back on that quality, but not seeing the returns in revenue and profit necessary to sustain the model. Either way one of those two things is inevitable because the longer the subscription service exists and becomes the focal point for how companies leverage their competitive angle in the market, the more people shift from buying games a la carte to consuming them through the service, and the service HAS to account for the loss of direct sales revenue as an equivalent in gained subscriber revenue.

So in a future where, say, Sony feels compelled to push with competition via PS+ and has to train their customer base to consume via the service (which will have already been mostly done if a competitor like MS is leveraging XGS, Zenimax and ABK content for Game Pass Day 1 aggressively), and they have 4 AAA games coming out in a given year, they have to gain sub revenue equivalent to the sum of copies those games would have normally sold at fuller price, minus say maybe 10% of total copies sold (in this hypothetical timeline). Each of those 4 games being $70, selling 10 million copies near launch. That's ($2.8 billion * .9 =) $2.52 billion which, in a service averaging $60 per sub, would need 42 million full-paying customers annually to account for.

Which, current PS+ actually does but...that's current PS+ WITHOUT taking things to the level of this hypothetical scenario. Otherwise, Sony would actually need double that revenue, or 84 million full-paying customers annually. They'd ALSO have to account for dropoffs in sales of all 3P games not in the service, because at least some portion of subscribers would feel non-compelled to buy non-service games Day 1 or even at all. The only possible means of preventing that revenue dropoff, would be to cut deals with 3P publishers to also put THEIR games into the service Day 1 or shortly after launch, which could go up to $100 million or several hundreds of millions for EACH game...and that's money Sony has to pay upfront.

Where is Sony going to get that money from? Their non-PlayStation divisions? Well now those divisions have to sacrifice their own stability for the sake of funding PlayStation and, unlike Microsoft, those other parts of Sony are not the behemoths that Office, Azure, or even Windows are for Microsoft. No, Sony would have to take the money from whatever they'd get from PS+ revenue, nullifying a good deal of sub revenue and profits along the way. It's either that, or Sony has to buy those developers and publishers, which again means a lot of money, and in some cases they simply won't be able to afford them...but Microsoft can. Apple can. Amazon can.

It simply isn't a sustainable strategy unless you're such a massive company you can take the losses through gaming for it, because gaming revenue is nothing compared to your real revenue & profit streams. These are companies that thrive off perpetually eating losses in markets that are very small for their bottom line, until they starve out smaller competitors much more dependent on the revenue & profit from those same markets, leaving the larger entity the only one remaining. These kind of companies don't have any need for their gaming initiatives to become self-sustaining in a normal span of time, or with modest resource investment; their goal for gaining market share WOULD revolve around simply outspending smaller competitors and engaging in long-term pricing wars (verging on predatory pricing) to condition the current market and force smaller competitors to either leave, or fully revamp their models even if they worked perfectly fine for themselves & the market previously.

Anyway I think I'll call it here for now because I did sort of start to ramble and that wasn't the intent. But I just wanted to explore how this stuff could play out for the market if Microsoft get ABK on all of the terms they themselves want. Notice I didn't say "if they get ABK"; again I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with them acquiring ABK itself. But given the way its content can be leveraged (alongside XGS and Zenimax's), for things like Game Pass, and how that would strongly condition the market of gamers and more than likely push competitors to reluctantly compete on a business model they aren't financially built for...I do think any such acquisition needs some serious structural remedies involved, even if that's also alongside behavioral ones.

And, I still think those structural remedies can be mostly fair to the buying party. But they need to account for these worst-case scenarios and proactively implement measures to prevent those from arising. Behavioral remedies on their own will simply not be able to accomplish that; they're not made to.

24 Jun 2022

Those sort of people really irritate me because they are completely irrational. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who has done a decent amount of research on Sega from that time period, know that it was Sega's own fault they bled market share and had to leave the market as a platform holder.

I won't get into it deep right now because I've got other things to tend to, but here's a brief rundown of the poor business decisions Sega made from the mid-90s up to Dreamcast's demise that led to them going 3P:

-Poor selection of Sega CD games for Western markets​
-Entire existence of the 32X​
-Not leveraging the SVP chip tech for Genesis/MegaDrive games (imagine a Phantasy Star IV with enhanced visuals via a SVP cart alternative)​
-Not targeting marquee 3D arcade development for the ST-V hardware (would have helped not lead to such big discrepencies between Saturn & arcade versions of certain games)​
-Hastily redesigning the Saturn for more advanced 3D and not investing in proper SDK or API support for 3P devs around and before launch​
-Discontinuing 32X literally SIX MONTHS after release to focus on the Saturn​
-Surprise May 2nd Sega Saturn launch in America (pissed off retailers, devs and publishers. KB Toys chose not stock the Saturn because of this)​
-Sega's "Theater of the Eye" ads not being appealing to most customers​
-$ 1 billion earmarked for Gameworks (imagine if that money were allocated to the Saturn and Dreamcast; maybe the Dreamcast could've afforded a DVD-ROM)​
-Bernie Stolar pissing off Working Designs (drove them away from Sega and towards Sony)​
-Sega of Japan cancelling sequels to Vectorman, Streets of Rage, and Eternal Champions for the Saturn (the last b/c they didn't want anything to compete with VF)​
-Bernie Stolar's "Five Star Policy" in America (turned away lots of 2D games and JRPGs from getting English releases)​
-Bernie Stolar's "The Saturn is not our future" comments at E3 1997 (convinced MANY 3P devs to either rush or cancel remaining Saturn games)​
-Sega basically going the ENTIRE 1998 year in the West with virtually no retail presence (and only very limited print runs of a small handful of games like PD Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, HOTD and Deep Down)​
-Sega of Japan curbstomping the remaining but stable Saturn market in Japan to rush Dreamcast for Winter 1998 release​
-Bernie Stolar basically forcing Sega of Japan to release Dreamcast at $199 in America (they originally planned for $249)​
-Sega not taking EA's offer for sports game exclusivity on Dreamcast (this is why EA did not make games for Dreamcast)​
-Sega leaving a MIL-CD exploit deep in the Dreamcast BIOS (hackers got this and cracked copy protection very early)​
-Sega trying to rely on SegaNET to salvage Western Dreamcast sales instead of a couple of big mass-market appealing games (maybe they should've paid Square to co-develop an enhanced FF VIII port for Dreamcast, or found a way to work with R* to get GTA3 on Dreamcast and release a (maybe cut-down) version for Holiday 2000)​
And I am probably leaving some other critical things out from that list. But needless to say, the above are ALL Sega's own bad business decisions that compounded on each other and led to them pulling out as a platform holder in 2001. And it was really sad when they did; I remember it surprising the hell out of me at the time and this was still a few years before I started getting into the post-Genesis systems, like the Saturn. These days systems like the Saturn are among my favorites and I would almost consider it and the PS1 to be siblings in terms of their library and my gaming tastes (and I easily prefer them both over the N64, all things considered).

But my admiration for the software of systems like the Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, and Sega's arcade offerings doesn't make me confused as to the fact that in terms of making smart business decisions, Sega were REALLY BAD at that for the late years of Genesis/MegaDrive even up to the the last moments of Dreamcast. And that's considering they did make many improvements on Dreamcast over the Saturn in things like marketing, messaging, ease-of-development, retailer communication, distribution etc.

Sony simply capitalized on Sega's mistakes, the same way Sega capitalized on Nintendo's mistakes with the SNES (at least in Western markets), or the way Nintendo capitalized on Atari's mistakes. Hell, Nintendo ALSO capitalized on Sega's Saturn mistakes, but you don't hear people bring that up, do you? It's all projection, biases and misinformation from them at the end of the day. Revisionists history to shift culpability of blame from where it belongs to where they want it to be.

But in this case, thinking they are somehow helping Microsoft, when they also ignore that Microsoft rejected some of Sega's own pitches for an actual Dreamcast 2 or to let Sega continue with the console (particularly in Asia) and Microsoft being financial support. Same with Microsoft rejecting Dreamcast BC for the OG Xbox so...again, why don't these sorts of people ever bring that up when they want to blame Sony for Sega's mistakes as a platform holder?

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Here's a thought: if MS thinks sub services are the future of gaming, why are they the only one pushing it to the front of their brand? You don't see Nin or Sony doing it. More to the point, why do MS suggest only Sony do it and not Nin as well?

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Also, it's time for another episode of Phil says.

I cant wait for the Phil Spencer Biopic coming out soon starting Jim Carey

41y8mKybnHL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
WHO is this for is my question? Do they send these softball interviews he does to regulators so they can see him yuck it up? He looks like hes aged 20 years in a short period of time.
Comment section seems somewhat...artificial as well.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Hope you guys watch Jez's Grindhouse every Monday night, he has some hilarious stuff..... very entertaining show.

Loads of stuff about how MSFT / Xbox has lied and brings back all the promises of 'Project Natal' etc.

EDIT: The 'Liar Liar' poster just prompted me to post this...
I enjoy listening to Jez and his "let us compete" jingles. Overall funny show.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Damn. They are just destroying every argument.
There's also a section in their PF where they mentioned that Activision internal documents showed that they considered making Switch ports a while ago and decided that it wasn't worth it for various reasons, and another section where they explicitly call out limited license agreements as being essentially inconsequential in the long term.