Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That Red Dragon guy on twitter is pure console war juice but it’s so fun seeing him trigger the xbots lol

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Update posted by Idas from mlex

N7JLhhj_d.webp

3rd pont is interesting, why even say this passive aggressive statement If your confident in what you offered?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

N7JLhhj_d.webp

3rd pont is interesting, why even say this passive aggressive statement If your confident in what you offered?
Thanks for finding this, and yeah MS seem pretty angry in that third point. There's nothing currently stopping those games from going to more people. Wrong attitude to take when you are depending on someone to do something for you IMO. Interesting that the rumor of them offering all ABK games as multiplat doesn't seem to be true.

I didn't realize they had all of March to offer remedies though. I figured that this week was their last chance.

Edit: MS wording on that third point also make it seem like they've offered all that they're willing to offer to the CMA though and may not be willing to continue negotiating. If that's the case, I don't see how they win this given what was in the PF.

Last edited:

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

N7JLhhj_d.webp

I like the fact they keep sticking with this mythical 150 million number when COD for 1 don't even sale 150 million copies. So you broadening the number of available players who already have other means of playing the game. Anyone who would have streamed the game has access to just buy the game and just play it that way. That's not a pool of new players. Activision already researched and found out that their unable to support the switch with its current hardware and give the same experience that they would give anyone else.

Yes you can potentially gain this mythical 150 million players but that is the ratio of overlap? and what the number when compared to the number of PlayStation owners who would be shut out when the 10 year deal is done? And of this 150 million potential players how many care to or want to play COD?

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I like the fact they keep sticking with this mythical 150 million number when COD for 1 don't even sale 150 million copies. So you broadening the number of available players who already have other means of playing the game. Anyone who would have streamed the game has access to just buy the game and just play it that way. That's not a pool of new players. Activision already researched and found out that their unable to support the switch with its current hardware and give the same experience that they would give anyone else.

Yes you can potentially gain this mythical 150 million players but that is the ratio of overlap? and what the number when compared to the number of PlayStation owners who would be shut out when the 10 year deal is done? And of this 150 million potential players how many care to or want to play COD?
Its not about getting people to actually buy it, its about giving them the option to. And since no game in history has sold even half of 150 million copies nobody thinks that is what he meant by that.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Its not about getting people to actually buy it, its about giving them the option to. And since no game in history has sold even half of 150 million copies nobody thinks that is what he meant by that.
GTA V sold more than 175 million copies. I know nobody thinks COD is selling 150 copies i was using it as point to show how silly it is using that number to support approval of this deal.

Technically they wont be given more of an option because switch current hardware don't support it and anyone who really wants to play COD has the means to play it now. They will shut out a significant number of players if they close PlayStation out after that 10 year deal. MS is no magical charity corporation that Is going to the put the game in more hands that already have access to it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Edit: Though there are rare circumstances like industry consolidation leading to an arms race over buying publishers in which not everyone can afford to keep up.
This has literally never happened in games. Not even once.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Minecraft sold more than 200m right? Gta5 also sold more than 150m
Only if you include multiple SKUs as the same launch. Which I guess they are here since Nvidia's little install base is combined with Nintendo's.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This has literally never happened in games. Not even once.
Your point about historical trends isn't really relevant now. The climate in gaming regarding industry consolidation is very different from any time before and numerous massive players, including one worth 2 Trillion, seem to be angling to gobble up as much as they can. There's no way this ends well if it goes unchecked and has no limits imposed.

Reactions: laynelane

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Your point about historical trends isn't really relevant now. The climate in gaming regarding industry consolidation is very different from any time before and numerous massive players, including one worth 2 Trillion, seem to be angling to gobble up as much as they can. There's no way this ends well if it goes unchecked and has no limits imposed.
Yeah, press X to doubt. The barrier to entry for game publishing is now lower than ever and in turn there are now more large publishers than ever, even if you don't include indies. But you should include indies. And if you think Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision is "unprecedented consolidation" you should have seen that period from 2002 to 2010 where Koei merged woth Tecmo, Konami brought Hudson, SNK went bankrupt, Square merged with Enix and brought Taito and Eidos, Namco merged with Bandai and Data East went bankrupt. And thats just Japan's game industry getting cut in half, it doesn't include western publishers merging and going bankrupt.

edit: Asmik also left the game industry in that time but I forgot as they had closed up shop in the US like a decade prior. Sorry for leaving them out.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
So fanboys on twitter get riled up and threaten the cma

'Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing' has been the MO for MS and particularly Spencer for quite some time now. I can only assume they're going for good optics with their fans and the general public because all the PR is certainly not helping them with regulators.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yeah, press X to doubt. The barrier to entry for game publishing is now lower than ever and in turn there are now more large publishers than ever, even if you don't include indies. But you should include indies. And if you think Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision is "unprecedented consolidation" you should have seen that period from 2002 to 2010 where Koei merged woth Tecmo, Konami brought Hudson, SNK went bankrupt, Square merged with Enix and brought Taito and Eidos, Namco merged with Bandai and Data East went bankrupt. And thats just Japan's game industry getting cut in half, it doesn't include western publishers merging and going bankrupt.

edit: Asmik also left the game industry in that time but I forgot as they had closed up shop in the US like a decade prior. Sorry for leaving them out.
I would say a platform owner buying up a billion dollar multi platform publisher (Zenimax) and then trying to buy THE biggest multi platform publisher (Acti) is unprecedented. I honestly couldn't give two shits less if the publishers were gobbling each other up like the old days. Its the platform owners gobbling publishers up that worries me. I definitely think the trend would've accelerated, see Bungie acquisition if not for the roadblock of this deal.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I would say a platform owner buying up a billion dollar multi platform publisher (Zenimax) and then trying to buy THE biggest multi platform publisher (Acti) is unprecedented. I honestly couldn't give two shits less if the publishers were gobbling each other up like the old days. Its the platform owners gobbling publishers up that worries me. I definitely think the trend would've accelerated, see Bungie acquisition if not for the roadblock of this deal.
Yeah, there's a lot of mental gymnastics being done to justify this situation as normal and even good for the industry.Ms have also indicated that they want to buy more publishers

Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

None of those companies got absorbed into a first party platform holder.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

N7JLhhj_d.webp

Not gonna work 🤷🏻‍♂️ ABK games are already available on all platforms. If that’s what they actually said, it’s pretty weak.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty