Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Cool thanks. So it's seems like this thing hinges on what the CMA decides.....
So maybe 50/50 chance?
0% chance. The CMA will not approve.

I still see lots of denial and some more power fantasies off-site about this deal, but they've evolved from 'MS will take COD away from Sony if they don't sign because MS has an unbeatable proposition' and into 'the CMA will get rekt in court'. Their facile understanding or just plain ignorance of the CMA's stance and the implications of this deal are going to lead to some beautiful waterworks come the end of April.

• fire
Reactions: One eyed jacks

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
0% chance. The CMA will not approve.

I still see lots of denial and some more power fantasies off-site about this deal, but they've evolved from 'MS will take COD away from Sony if they don't sign because MS has an unbeatable proposition' and into 'the CMA will get rekt in court'. Their facile understanding or just plain ignorance of the CMA's stance and the implications of this deal are going to lead to some beautiful waterworks come the end of April.
They don't seem to realize that trying to get into a court battle to overturn a negative ruling would be a waste of time and resources that could be spent on something more productive.

D

Deleted member 417

not viewing the move as anti-competitive or monopoly creating, have, as a capitalist, a political interest in being allowed.
As a capitalist who believes in a free market, how can you justify propping up a failing business in the name of competition?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The xbox is a failing business within an industry and it asking to be propped up by buying other peoples' (ABK) games because they're shit at making their own and therefore cannot compete.
Xbox is not a business, Microsoft is. Xbox is part of Microsoft's corporate ecosystem and their hope is that they can leverage stuff like Azure to make it profitable and help out the rest of the company. If anything, the only worry I have is that Activision's CEO agreed to this deal in a way that benefits himself but hurts Activision shareholders since he announced it at a time where Activision's shareprice is artificially low due to bad PR, having done so only to save his own hide. Bobby Kotick has been a great leader for Activision, taking it from a failed tech company to the world's largest third party maker of video games, but that doesn't give him the right to fleece Activision's true owners for his own benefit.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Deleted member 417

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I am a Switch owner and, although I would in theory get access to CoD from this I actually have zero interest in playing it so all I "get" out of it is losing access to Crash. I want the deal to go through but only because I think platform owners strengthening their line-ups is a good thing and, not viewing the move as anti-competitive or monopoly creating, have, as a capitalist, a political interest in being allowed.
You arent fooling anyone cuco

Reactions: One eyed jacks

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Xbox is not a business, Microsoft is. Xbox is part of Microsoft's corporate ecosystem and their hope is that they can leverage stuff like Azure to make it profitable and help out the rest of the company.
fucking hell. wtf i am reading.
Election 2020 Lol GIF by Joe Biden

D

Deleted member 417

Xbox is not a business, Microsoft is. Xbox is part of Microsoft's corporate ecosystem and their hope is that they can leverage stuff like Azure to make it profitable and help out the rest of the company. If anything, the only worry I have is that Activision's CEO agreed to this deal in a way that benefits himself but hurts Activision shareholders since he announced it at a time where Activision's shareprice is artificially low due to bad PR, having done so only to save his own hide. Bobby Kotick has been a great leader for Activision, taking it from a failed tech company to the world's largest third party maker of video games, but that doesn't give him the right to fleece Activision's true owners for his own benefit.
I don't know what the rambling about activision has to do with anything. Can you see how a $1 trillion company 'leveraging' azure could possibly be bad for the industry and the customers?

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and each time it didn't benefit the people.

What competition comes from removing access to games from people who want the choice of having a different console? Phil Spencer is basically saying "You can play your own way, if it's the way we say"

Reactions: laynelane

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I am a Switch owner and, although I would in theory get access to CoD from this I actually have zero interest in playing it so all I "get" out of it is losing access to Crash. I want the deal to go through but only because I think platform owners strengthening their line-ups is a good thing and, not viewing the move as anti-competitive or monopoly creating, have, as a capitalist, a political interest in being allowed.
How about they invest in their own studios and create new ones, thus generating new jobs and hiring more people instead of buying the whole industry, laying off redundancy and taking games away from other platforms? How does that sound to you?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
How about they invest in their own studios and create new ones, thus generating new jobs and hiring more people instead of buying the whole industry, laying off redundancy and taking games away from other platforms? How does that sound to you?
Like a misuse of resources when they can instead buy Activision for far less than its actually worth.

edit: And its not like they haven't invested in their own studios and created new ones in the past anyway. If anything, that strategy has seemingly failed. None of the big three are regularly creating new studios anymore, not when compared to buying existing ones.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Like a misuse of resources when they can instead buy Activision for far less than its actually worth.

edit: And its not like they haven't invested in their own studios and created new ones in the past anyway. If anything, that strategy has seemingly failed. None of the big three are regularly creating new studios anymore, not when compared to buying existing ones.
They have 70Bi of cash lmao. Why do you care how they spend their resources? Are you a shareholder? No? So it doesn’t matter to you. And the deal will be blocked, talk about waste of resources lmao.
And, yes, they invested on it and failed. MS mismanage every single business they have not named windows, office and azure. They’re that bad.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They have 70Bi of cash lmao. Why do you care how they spend their resources? Are you a shareholder? No? So it doesn’t matter to you. And the deal will be blocked, talk about waste of resources lmao.
You asked me why they don't do it and I told you why. Why do you care, because I already laid out why I cared (political reasons, related to businesses having the freedom to compete.)

Reactions: Deleted member 417

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
You asked me why they don't do it and I told you why. Why do you care, because I already laid out why I cared (political reasons, related to businesses having the freedom to compete.)
Compete? Hahaha.. trying to buy your way to the top is not competing it’s the opposite of competing.

You sound like you get your talking points from reee but have not actually given any thought that it makes no fckin sense at all outside of that backwards xbot echo chamber.

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023

They haven’t invested shit into their own studios.. maybe you missed the news but they just laid off 10,000 people including from their most recent purchase Bethesda. Microsoft’s whole strat isn’t about investing into their own studios.. it’s about buying franchises, firing developers and transforming those franchises into GaaS models to fit their flailing gamepass service.

Because Microsoft knows deep down they have shot themselves in the foot with gamepass.. they even admitted it in the documents to regulators. So they are now trying everything by throwing one last hail mary to buy up the biggest IP’s to hide this colossal failure because they have deep pockets. This wouldn’t be good for the industry at all.. CMA can see that.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Just a couple of things here: MS offered to buy ABK well above their value, and it must truly be a miracle that both Sony and Nintendo have managed to compete without buying any large third party publisher thus far.
Nintendo would say that they don't compete with the other two, blue ocean and all. Sony didn't buy any publishers* but they did buy 5 studios in 2021 and a further 2 in early 2022. These acquisitions though, I would say, had less to do with competing directly with Microsoft and more to do with filling out their release schedule in an era when games take 4 to 7 years to make instead of 2 to 3. I find the focus on "publishers" instead of "studios" here to be asinine anyway, its certainly not what the buyers are thinking about, they want product/output, the fact that they get a "publishing" system with it is if anything a drawback because it duplicates functions they already have.

*Technically Bungie was self-publishing after their Activision deal went south, but I think its for the best to just discount single-game publishers and regard them as dev houses instead.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They haven’t invested shit into their own studios.. maybe you missed the news but they just laid off 10,000 people including from their most recent purchase Bethesda. Microsoft’s whole strat isn’t about investing into their own studios.. it’s about buying franchises, firing developers and transforming those franchises into GaaS models to fit their flailing gamepass service.

Because Microsoft knows deep down they have shot themselves in the foot with gamepass.. they even admitted it in the documents to regulators. So they are now trying everything by throwing one last hail mary to buy up the biggest IP’s to hide this colossal failure because they have deep pockets. This wouldn’t be good for the industry at all.. CMA can see that.
That 10,000 people was across the whole company, most not being involved in game dev. In the game parts a majority of the layoffs were from 343 which has spend a decade mismanaging Halo. If anything it was about time that they cleaned house there. Now then, as to investments, 343 Industries was one of them, they founded it and had 750 people working there as of 2020. How is that not an investment? Same with the Initiative and the Coalition, though they are both probably smaller in size. Its the under-performance of those groups, as much as anything else, that probably led to them deciding to focus on acquisitions instead.

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
Nintendo would say that they don't compete with the other two, blue ocean and all. Sony didn't buy any publishers* but they did buy 5 studios in 2021 and a further 2 in early 2022. These acquisitions though, I would say, had less to do with competing directly with Microsoft and more to do with filling out their release schedule in an era Nintendo would say that they don't compete with the other two, blue ocean and all. Sony didn't buy any publishers but they did buy 5 studios in 2021 and a further 2 in early 2022. These acquisitions though, I would say, had less to do with competing directly with Microsoft and more to do with filling out their release schedule in an era when games take 4 to 7 years to make instead of 2 to 3. I find the focus on "publishers" instead of "studios" here to be asinine anyway, its certainly not what the buyers are thinking about, they want product/output, the fact that they get a "publishing" system with it is if anything a drawback because it duplicates functions they already have.
Yeah because Sony buying a small studio is in anyway comparable to buying up the biggest money maker game/publisher. Microsoft was lucky to get away with Bethesda and Minecraft.. I don’t see why they need to buy all the most popular games to compete.. oh yeah because they can’t create anything worth a damn themselves!

Sony is growing their own talent and big games.. it’s not trying to buy minecraft/GTA/COD and just call it a day. How is that going to lead to better games? Spoiler: It won’t!