Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
One thing to consider: There's this ongoing argument that "Microsoft needs this acquisition to compete". Sure, let's take a look.

Microsoft Game Studios + Bethesda have a total of 22 Studios. When acquiring ABK, they will be adding over 12 studios to that portfolio (Blizzard is spread into 5 teams, King has an unspecified amount of studios). That's at the very least 34 studios in total. For comparison, Playstation + Bungie have a total of 23 studios - Important to note that Sony has more support studios.

As for revenue, Xbox had $15.56 billion vs Playstation's $24.4 billion, in 2022. ABK had a total of $7.58 billion in revenue for 2022.

What this means is that Microsoft is already at parity in studios, and this acquisition will have the at ~38% more studios than Sony + around the same revenue overall.

This is what buying market share means.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
In the end CMA will always be concerned about the UK market, the market share leader arguments won't work in the UK when it is very close.

Reactions: laynelane
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

People seem to have conveniently glanced over this one argument, which Sony substantiated in their previous documents. Based on the redacted information, it seems like Microsoft's proposed deal would make CoD pretty much unaffordable. Here's what this new document says:

making Call of Duty available on multi-game subscription services (“MGS”) only on Game Pass or providing Call of Duty on PlayStation Plus at a commercially unviable price, thereby making it de facto exclusive.12

• Informative
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Welp, I just took some time to review the Responses to provisional findings in CMA's website. Is this a bloody joke? These are the least professionally crafted letters I've ever read and include absolutely NOTHING to back them up. They are opinion pieces.

I wonder what "studios" produced these opinion pieces, ignoring the one that works directly with Microsoft on Minecraft.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
FrV8UiFWAAI3r5q

I don’t want to drop names but I can already imagine who that is :ROFLMAO:
FeJIgHyWQAECOSE
FeJIfYvXkAEI-mv

Screenshot-20230316-153726-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20230316-154216-Chrome.jpg
I remember his dumb tweets going around everytime he releases one of his shitty games no one plays. He's sucking Phil all day on twitter and then the shills spread his tweets and make threads about them.

See? Devs like GP, it's good for them 🤡

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
ABK's response seems to insult the CMA a decent amount like Microsoft's did. It accuses them of cherry-picking internal documents to come to certain conclusions and brings up another unrelated case where they were "called out" for it. Maybe this behavior is normal for this type of legal setting, but I would think insulting the ones who you need to approve the deal is a bad idea.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Welp, I just took some time to review the Responses to provisional findings in CMA's website. Is this a bloody joke? These are the least professionally crafted letters I've ever read and include absolutely NOTHING to back them up. They are opinion pieces.

I wonder what "studios" produced these opinion pieces, ignoring the one that works directly with Microsoft on Minecraft.

That's actually a decent point. The devs haven't really come with hard numbers, just opinions.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
That's actually a decent point. The devs haven't really come with hard numbers, just opinions.
Similar to all the public that sent message to the CMA saying "oh we want games on gamepass", nothing really to really provide any arguments against the CMA or to alleviate their concerns.

CMA should not be taking any of this seriously. Nothing over the last few weeks has really undermined what CMA have said, even the cloud provider deals are all BYOG providers, nothing comparable to what sony are doing with ps plus premium or amazon are doing with luna.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

A 7th company was the only one who commented against, a SCEA or something 🤭

these six companies include 3 irrelevant indie studios and one that it's very close with MS and have worked with them for years.
So it means absolutely nothing, since MS is paying them. lmao

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
these six companies include 3 irrelevant indie studios and one that it's very close with MS and have worked with them for years.
So it means absolutely nothing, since MS is paying them. lmao

I wonder how quick you'll turn against the CMA and EU if the deal gets approved, lol.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
People seem to have conveniently glanced over this one argument, which Sony substantiated in their previous documents. Based on the redacted information, it seems like Microsoft's proposed deal would make CoD pretty much unaffordable. Here's what this new document says:
No they saw them and already decided they don't believe it. Most of them thinks it's a conspiracy.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Why would I turn against anything? I'm powerless to fight against any of this lmao.
If it goes through without any concessions (highly unlikely), MS will run ABK and CoD into the ground, anyways.

The immediacy at which you were quick to throw those 6 companies under the bus as irrelevant or being bribed is telling me that anyone whose 'for' the deal is bad in your book, so it's an easy conclusion to come to 🤷‍♂️

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The immediacy at which you were quick to throw those 6 companies under the bus as irrelevant or being bribed is telling me that anyone whose 'for' the deal is bad in your book, so it's an easy conclusion to come to 🤷‍♂️
But they are irrelevant lmfao. It's like Insomniac or Santa Monica saying the deal should be blocked LMFAO

Reactions: VillaiN

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023

Why do they nearly all sound like support studios

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader