Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
If we look at raw numbers, it wouldn't be a monopoly...technically. But everyone and their mother knows it'll be one major corporation controlling the majority of the industry. Not through market choice but through sheer spending money.

It's why this need to be blocked right now. Too bad it won't.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Oh yay, more uninformed, pseudo intellectual spewage about the merger from Colon Moriarty and his gang of sycophantic twits!

Come for the self-aggrandizing bluster, stay for the hilarious misuse of big words!

(Seriously, someone needs to sit that crew down and explain the difference between “stylistic”, “stylish” and “stylized” to them. And Colon needs to learn that “nonetheless” and “never the less” are not interchangeable.

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Listened to this last night, actually shorter than I thought it would be...

Nothing really surprising, Hoeg has always been team green and says gamers should 'hope Xbox succeeds' because according to him it is good for gaming...

Colin says that if Starfield doesn't hit big, that it will be damning for the gamepass model and everything Xbox is trying to do.....

Hoeg says Microsoft will go on to buy more and that they COULD go for Taketwo or EA but both say it is likelier to be mostly studio size acquisitions.

-----------------------------------------

Meanwhile over on Resetera, we have some fools (Fiendcode) thinking that Nintendo will outbid Sony for Square....and pointing to Square releasing more games on Switch over a 2 year period... I find it laughable tbh.

It's just unbelievable how many Sony / PS haters are out there just trying to attack everything Sony does.... every move, every game, every potential move, they don't want sony to be able to do anything in response and they get pretty angry under the surface at the idea that Sony could respond to MSFT with anything significant.

They celebrate making 3rd party game exclusive and attack Sony making their own franchises and exclusives from the ground up with their own studios....
There is absolutely no winning for Sony in the minds of these psychos.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Hearing from other places allagedy CMA may have exhuasted how much they can delay the investigation.

Assuming there is any truth to that, it's a very short time to make a decision considering the increased scrutiny of the cloud market and sonys response are very recent, don't know how they are gonna come to a reasonable solution.

I mean if they wanted to rush a decision, surely blocking it would be the safest option? It keeps the status qou and still gives MS and CMA the time to discuss further in an appeal.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

Nothing really surprising, Hoeg has always been team green and says gamers should 'hope Xbox succeeds' because according to him it is good for gaming...

Colin says that if Starfield doesn't hit big, that it will be damning for the gamepass model and everything Xbox is trying to do.....

Hoeg says Microsoft will go on to buy more and that they COULD go for Taketwo or EA but both say it is likelier to be mostly studio size acquisitions.

Meanwhile over on Resetera, we have some fools (Fiendcode) thinking that Nintendo will outbid Sony for Square....and pointing to Square releasing more games on Switch over a 2 year period... I find it laughable tbh.

It's just unbelievable how many Sony / PS haters are out there just trying to attack everything Sony does.... every move, every game, every potential move, they don't want sony to be able to do anything in response and they get pretty angry under the surface at the idea that Sony could respond to MSFT with anything significant.

They celebrate making 3rd party game exclusive and attack Sony making their own franchises and exclusives from the ground up with their own studios....

Any company buying multiple publishers is not good for gaming, much less one with MS' history. I honestly couldn't say that it was with a straight face no matter how much money was on the line for me personally. One of the reasons I normally pay no attention to Hoeg is because he is clearly biased.

I don't see a lot of the Sony haters because I don't go looking for them. Just hear about things once in a while on here.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I've stopped searching for what the hate parade has to say. It's obvious they prefer a situation where Xbox has a massive advantage and Sony only have their current first party studios versus the remainder of the industry that should ideally belong to MS in their minds.

Also, Square's biggest budget titles have only been hitting Playstation lately, so their Nintendo argument is flawed.

If Sony did get Square, those people would likely be incredibly upset, even though it would be a much smaller purchase than ABK, simply because they don't think Playstation should be allowed to do anything, lol.

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
They expected to have since they were coming of the 360 were they had close to what the PS3 had in the end. I doubt that when they negotiated these deals they knew how disastrous the One gen would be (the Xbox One despite everything actually had a decent launch before sales dried out, a lot like the Series).

I think all 3 of these franchises were permanently damaged by those Xbox One deals and the same goes for Crytec and Remedy and their game deals with MS.

This just exposes how much third party publisher are affected by Gamepass. They all become dependent on getting money from MS to put their game on Xbox for releasing games on Xbox to be worth.

As MS buys more studios they have less incentives to spend on these deals so the publishers are just left hanging after devaluing their own product in exchange for some money in the short term and a smaller audience.
Gaming is going to be so healthy when publishers can't even start the development of a game without getting funding guarantees from Microsoft beforehand because everything is done through a subscription licensing fee

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Even more silly is that he said Square would refuse to sell to sony because they not Japanese enough

True clown world stuff from him...

People like him though would not care if Microsoft bought some Japanese publishers, cause they are professional Sony haters.

They take any route to arrive at the same place.

D

Deleted member 417

Hearing from other places allagedy CMA may have exhuasted how much they can delay the investigation.

Assuming there is any truth to that, it's a very short time to make a decision considering the increased scrutiny of the cloud market and sonys response are very recent, don't know how they are gonna come to a reasonable solution.

I mean if they wanted to rush a decision, surely blocking it would be the safest option? It keeps the status qou and still gives MS and CMA the time to discuss further in an appeal.
Unless they didn't want to delay to rush the u-turn decision through? With Sony asking questions, the CMA will want to take their bag of Microsoft 'laundry' to the bank before anyone asks "what's in the bag?"

Reactions: FatKaz

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I wouldn't get my hopes up about the deal getting blocked. I personally just hope Sony didn't put all of their eggs into this basket and have a plan 'B' in case the regulators wave it through.

Reactions: Dabaus

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Did Hoeg do the same thing Era does and downplay the idea of Sony being able to respond with acquisitions of their own?