Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Guys imagine the mental meltdown on Reset and NeoGAF when Sony announces they acquired Square Enix. It will be a bloodbath I tell you. xD

Sony can't buy anyone cause Microsoft will simply outbid them for everyone and buy up the entire industry cause they are smaller... is what I keep reading on other sites....

They are obviously highly educated legal and financial experts, since they spend all their time watching Hoeg Law and reading FOSSPatents.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony doesn't even do day 1 games and their first party has a stronger out put on the service than gamepass. GoT, Spiderman, Horizon, Returnal are just a few, meanwhile Xbox gamepass with... halo? gears? forza? what else is there even AAA wise? this is the same shit they got roasted for even BEFORE XBOX ONE and they still have the same content issue lmao, what a worthless games company
Why does day 1 matters so much anyway? For the last year MS had like Pentiment and Dusk Falls while Horizon Forbidden West was already included on PS+ and so were games like Miles Morales, Returnal and Demon's Souls that are better than anything Xbox had in ages. They made a big deal out of Persona games and those games had been released on PS long ago and even given away already (like in the case of Persona 5).

Games with Gold is pure shit while PS+ had just in the last year (among other sutff):
- God of War
- FIFA 22
- Crash Bandicoot 4
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2
- Yakuza: Like A Dragon
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition
- Destiny 2: Beyond Light
- Sackboy

MS is all focused on services yet somehow PS still provide far superior services to their player base.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony can't buy anyone cause Microsoft will simply outbid them for everyone and buy up the entire industry cause they are smaller... is what I keep reading on other sites....

They are obviously highly educated legal and financial experts, since they spend all their time watching Hoeg Law and reading FOSSPatents.
I loved reading your clashes with them. You were quite famous on GAF cutting their fairytales off. xD
Funny though was that even if you tried to explain them basic knowledge about economics and did provide them with sources which disproved their bias about Sony being broke, they still did refuse to listen. These guys are either very uneducated or resistant to learn. :D

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
To be honest, hardcore Sony fanboys used the same for Zenimax/Bethesda and now Activision as well.
Yes but we PlayStation fans buy their games. FF7R sold in the launch year 5 million copies on PS4 and additional 2 million on PS5. This is pretty impressive to sell 7 million for an Action RPG.

‘Without PC sells’

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I was looking at the CMA website again and noticed that a college professor submitted a document weighing in on the whole cloud market side of things. He argues that a large part of whether the deal should go ahead or not could hinge on the definition of the cloud market and believes that it should not be considered a separate market as no game streaming sevice has been successful enough to establish a market of its own, just a feature of the console market at best. He also somewhat admits that the companies MS are signing all of these deals with are not direct competitors to their own cloud services. I was wondering if anyone else here had already seen the document and what their takeaways from it are.

Seems like he's probably pro-deal based on what I've read so far and he thinks that the cloud market is not a big enough deal for the cma to be concerned about, but I'd argue that if anyone else wanted to create their own Gamepass-style service, MS being allowed to own and buy all of these huge IP would put any new entrants at a major disadvantage.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
To be honest, hardcore Sony fanboys used the same for Zenimax/Bethesda and now Activision as well.
Bethesda was a big loss for me, Arkane, BGS, and ID I used to always show up day 1 for. ACTI has been irrelevant to me since the ps3 days. Only good thing they did last gen was sekiro and thats not even their IP or studio. On forums, nobody gave two shits ABK for like a decade? It was until this merger did they magically become some needed publisher. As far as consoles go, all they have is call of duty, which is overdue a falloff IMO and wont move the needle for MS.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I was looking at the CMA website again and noticed that a college professor submitted a document weighing in on the whole cloud market side of things. He argues that a large part of whether the deal should go ahead or not could hinge on the definition of the cloud market and believes that it should not be considered a separate market as no game streaming sevice has been successful enough to establish a market of its own, just a feature of the console market at best. He also somewhat admits that the companies MS are signing all of these deals with are not direct competitors to their own cloud services. I was wondering if anyone else here had already seen the document and what their takeaways from it are.

Seems like he's probably pro-deal based on what I've read so far and he thinks that the cloud market is not a big enough deal for the cma to be concerned about.
Yeah that was released alongside sony and microsofts response to the updated PF.

It's microsofts attempt to kill off the cloud SLC by trying to convince the CMA that cloud market is not distinct to console market. So if CMA holds no concerns of the console market then they shouldn't hold any concerns of the cloud market either.

It could be a bit of an L, as if CMA don't agree then they have one of their own shills arguing these cloud deals isn't enough.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah that was released alongside sony and microsofts response to the updated PF.

It's microsofts attempt to kill off the cloud SLC by trying to convince the CMA that cloud market is not distinct to console market. So if CMA holds no concerns of the console market then they shouldn't hold any concerns of the cloud market either.

It could be a bit of an L, as if CMA don't agree then they have one of their own shills arguing these cloud deals isn't enough.
MS have had a suspiciously large number of "supporters" come out of the woodworks to go to bat for them during this ordeal, I agree. If you look at the sales and marketshare difference between the two platforms, one wouldn't suspect that Xbox would be popular enough to have this many people and organizations coming out to root for them to buy everything out. Still though, I find it hard to believe that they would actually have so many shills across every discipline.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Bethesda was a big loss for me, Arkane, BGS, and ID I used to always show up day 1 for. ACTI has been irrelevant to me since the ps3 days. Only good thing they did last gen was sekiro and thats not even their IP or studio. On forums, nobody gave two shits ABK for like a decade? It was until this merger did they magically become some needed publisher. As far as consoles go, all they have is call of duty, which is overdue a falloff IMO and wont move the needle for MS.
As much as the forum crowd seems to ignore it, Call of Duty is still huge.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Of all publisher Bethesda and Ubisoft would be the first two I would chose to get rid off. Good riddance.

Bethesda to me is one of the most overrated devs ever and I don't see how their games were GoTY contenders/winners. Whatever the apeal of their games is it goes over my head (and I'm big into WRPGs). Their other studios mostly make first person games I don't care about.

Activision Blizzard would probably be next. 15 years ago Blizzard would be on of my favorite devs but that time has long gone, I don't care about CoD at all and pretty much all I wanted from Activision they already released recently and I already have (Crash remakes, THPS 1 + 2 remakes, Spyro remakes).

If the publisher acquisitions were to stop here, it wouldn't change anything for me and even if CoD is eventually removed many years from now I don't think it matter nearly as much as people make it out to be. Sony should make a big acquisition of their own (or a few) just to not give MS any chance but they would likely do fine without it. The real problem is if MS does not stop here and goes after EA, Take Two next or Japanese publishers next.

As much as the forum crowd seems to ignore it, Call of Duty is still huge.
It won't be nearly as huge if it's ever removed from PlayStation and Sony put all their market behind Respawn/BF games. Marketing deals is something that just work in favor of the console with a bigger audience otherwise it just hurts the game as it makes the version most people are going to play seem inferior.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
MS have had a suspiciously large number of "supporters" come out of the woodworks to go to bat for them during this ordeal, I agree. If you look at the sales and marketshare difference between the two platforms, one wouldn't suspect that Xbox would be popular enough to have this many people and organizations coming out to root for them to buy everything out. Still though, I find it hard to believe that they would actually have so many shills across every discipline.
The professor's submission was definitely suspect. He's been paid by MS in the past (believe he declared that) but says he was not commissioned to write in. I mentioned that he shoots himself in the foot because he claims the companies MS is offering cloud deals to aren't competitors and offering COD to them only benefits Microsoft's bottom line. That's absolutely true.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Would it be acceptable for Sony to buy a supplier of key components for the Xbox and then cut them out of it? That is pretty much what MS is trying to do but on the software front.

I never understood how they had to frame it over Cloud or MS being last place, what should matter is how a multi trillion dollar company is trying to use their money to take over a specific market and to try and take out another company out of business by pushing a model that isn't sustainable or beneficial to anyone but themselves and that has already been rejected by consumers.

What I also don't get is why Sony has to share anything while MS isn't even questioned about basic information.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Sorry to hear that, I actually thought Sony would have been a great fit for them... they filled in spaces where Sony needed to expand into.

I only really liked Skyrim and Doom 2016 was decent, so it wasn't so much of a loss for me but I recognized that quite a few people were disappointed.

I still think Sony need a WRPG studio.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not actually happening.
That is exactly what is happening, they have spent more money than PlayStation is worth to remove content from PlayStation.

It's not like Xbox grew in market share or generated a lot of profit to be able to afford these purchase, this is money coming other division that MS set up trough corrupt practices as well. They'll forever be rewarded for their dirty tactics by the looks of it.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Certainly feels like that is their aim. Feels vindictive.
Their lesson from all this time being in last place is probably that their game division can't coexist in the gaming space with Sony.

Either that or they are going to turn into third party publishers and want to have enough leverage to force Sony into accepting Gamepass on PlayStation once Xbox is dead.

The second scenario is more realistic but I wouldn't put it past MS to actually think they can control the market with Gamepass and be the last one standing.

I still think Sony need a WRPG studio.
Larian and CDPR are better than anything MS has bought and so is FromSoftware obviously.

CDPR fucked up on their last game and they seem to have terrible leadership but that is actually a positive thing for a acquisition, just like ABK was easier to buy due to all the scandals and insanity going on is there.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That is exactly what is happening, they have spent more money than PlayStation is worth to remove content from PlayStation.
Its not. They are trying to grow their own business and have pounced on deals when they come up. Activision was on the block because of the scandals and lawsuits, Bethesda because leadership wanted to cash out and the previous ones were an island of misfit toys that were all happy to get out of having to sell themselves every single game.