Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Until COD stops being one of the highest selling games every year, I wouldn't call their management incompetent. Internally it seems like a nightmare of a place to work, but it hasn't affected the sales of their products yet from what i can see.
Honestly, if MS does pull COD from Playstation, it will probably stop being the top seller it used to be. MS may just be looking to leverage COD to increase their install base and make it easier to negotiate 3rd party exclusives the way Sony does. They try to demonize Sony for doing them, but it's likely they just want that for themselves.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Until COD stops being one of the highest selling games every year, I wouldn't call their management incompetent. Internally it seems like a nightmare of a place to work, but it hasn't affected the sales of their products yet from what i can see.

Good point. When it comes to what really matters, sales and revenue, ABK know what they're doing. They could be doing more, but they do have a strong pipeline laid down and stick to it.

Which is much more than can be said about Xbox.

Yup, calling them incompetent is a fairytale, despite all the internal shit going on at abk their management is 10x better than xbox, no denying, look at their numbers.
No one is spending $69 billion to buy xbox, shit sie and nintendo ain't worth $69 billion. Cant be incompetence or luck that made abk worth that much.

SIE and Nintendo are worth way more than $69 billion, though. I wouldn't go by market caps alone to judge the worth of them; I would say ABK are overvalued in their market cap when compared to a company like Nintendo. Compared to SIE, I'd say ABK are overvalued in that instance as well, but SIE are part of a larger company so hard to really say how much it's worth on its own.

I would definitely agree with the idea that ABK have more real value than the Xbox division, however. I mean just look at the market performance between the two over the past 10 years (and by Xbox, I mean specifically the publishing arm XGS and any gaming-related media and merchandise sales).

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys it’s just only 3 days more until the final decision of CMA. I can’t believe it we arrived here after two consuming years. Prepare for a lot of heat on April 26th, regardless of outcome.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
We placing bets? The losers have to use a custom user title (under the username) for a week.

This is going through, with little to no remedies.
What counts as "little" remedies?

Tbh though, if things weren't going well for MS behind the scenes they'd be making more noise in the media right now.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think this deal is done, Microsoft probably is getting their will.
If the case would be different than Sony wouldn’t have announced Firewalk acquisition. Yes it’s possible to pend acquisitions of private owned companies.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Tbh though, if things weren't going well for MS behind the scenes they'd be making more noise in the media right now.

It's a Sunday. MS (and most companies for that matter) don't put out much news on the weekend TBH. And FWIW, MS were similarly calm leading up to December 8th last year, and we saw what happened there.

Anything is possible on the 26th, but considering the CMA 's "sudden" reversal on a part of their original PF which was almost historic for them (because they don't do that often) and considering the companies involved in this particular M&A process, I both wouldn't be surprised if some favors were done BTS and if they approve the deal on Wednesday with baby-slap behavioral remedies, dropping divestiture altogether getting hoodwinked with the Oprah-tier 10-year giveaways.

It is what it is. But I do know that MS getting ABK will pretty much cockblock them from getting anything else other than smaller developer teams like Certain Affinity, Avalanche, etc. They can't use the same talking points in justification for other publisher acquisitions going forward once that ABK revenue folds into the Xbox division's and provides a massive revenue boost.

And if it turns out they've been artificially suppressing Series X hardware production to keep that combined revenue smaller (I don't think they're doing this BTW; if anything they are waiting for ABK approval to ramp up Series X unit production again, although like others have said, it's readily available in a lot of places outside of the US and maybe the UK), well that will become a massive issue in its own right.

I think this deal is done, Microsoft probably won’t ill get their will.
If the case would be different than Sony wouldn’t have announced Firewalk acquisition. Yes it’s possible to pend acquisitions of private owned companies.

Personally I think the Firewalk acquisition was less a response to MS/ABK and more due to Sony wanting to tie that up before their quarterly fiscal report, which will be coming soon (either this week or next week IIRC).

It's just that the two things seem incidentally timed around one another so Sony's announcement seems reactionary to some, when in reality I (mostly) doubt it is.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Assuming the the cma approves the deal without divestment, I wonder how long it will be before we hear about Sonys other acquisitions? This week?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It's a Sunday. MS (and most companies for that matter) don't put out much news on the weekend TBH. And FWIW, MS were similarly calm leading up to December 8th last year, and we saw what happened there.

Anything is possible on the 26th, but considering the CMA 's "sudden" reversal on a part of their original PF which was almost historic for them (because they don't do that often) and considering the companies involved in this particular M&A process, I both wouldn't be surprised if some favors were done BTS and if they approve the deal on Wednesday with baby-slap behavioral remedies, dropping divestiture altogether getting hoodwinked with the Oprah-tier 10-year giveaways.

It is what it is. But I do know that MS getting ABK will pretty much cockblock them from getting anything else other than smaller developer teams like Certain Affinity, Avalanche, etc. They can't use the same talking points in justification for other publisher acquisitions going forward once that ABK revenue folds into the Xbox division's and provides a massive revenue boost.

And if it turns out they've been artificially suppressing Series X hardware production to keep that combined revenue smaller (I don't think they're doing this BTW; if anything they are waiting for ABK approval to ramp up Series X unit production again, although like others have said, it's readily available in a lot of places outside of the US and maybe the UK), well that will become a massive issue in its own right.

Personally I think the Firewalk acquisition was less a response to MS/ABK and more due to Sony wanting to tie that up before their quarterly fiscal report, which will be coming soon (either this week or next week IIRC).

It's just that the two things seem incidentally timed around one another so Sony's announcement seems reactionary to some, when in reality I (mostly) doubt it is.

I know that news doesn't hit on weekends, I was referring to them being relatively quiet last week. I would agree that if ABK goes through and gives them a massive boost, they won't be able to argue to regulators that they're this weak small brand that's being bullied anymore.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

Even though I believe the chances of this deal is being approved is probably on the higher side. I think PR could be looked at both ways.

If it is positive I'm surprised they haven't made any noise as they usually do with even little positivity as they have many times in the past, but if they are happy with the remedies then there is no reason for unecassery PR.

They could make noise if it's negative, but they have financials coming out on the 25th with calls with shareholders. If it is bad news, they may not want to mar the call with this negativity. And leave any negativity to the decision date of the 26th.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I know that news doesn't hit on weekends, I was referring to them being relatively quiet last week. I would agree that if ABK goes through and gives them a massive boost, they won't be able to argue to regulators that they're this weak small brand that's being bullied anymore.

Yep, and that's probably the best outcome now that I think about it. If they get ABK, their gaming revenue more or less permanently leapfrogs Nintendo's, and comes within spitting distance of Sony's, if not surpassing theirs. There is also a base expectation of what Xbox's revenue should look like going forward with ABK being acquired, and if that revenue isn't reached, depending on how far below that expectation it drops it could seriously draw in questions about if ABK were better off staying independent.

If their output under Xbox starts to depreciate in revenue, there's an avenue (IMO) where it could be argued the M&A actually caused market harm because we'd see an overall drop in console market revenue. Of course, in that case ABK now being absorbed into Xbox division (under Microsoft Gaming) would make it hard to see the financials for the ABK side specifically but that's nothing an audit can't solve.

Basically there is going to be a lot of pressure on Microsoft to at least maintain an expected base level of revenue with Xbox and with ABK, and with both of them combined. And that base revenue clearly puts them ahead of Nintendo and within striking distance of PlayStation. Shareholders generally expect revenue of acquired assets to grow thanks to vertical integration, so in reality they are likely expecting a combined revenue through Xbox & ABK greater than if you took their individual revenues right now and added them together. In which case would probably put them ahead of PlayStation (although PlayStation is growing in revenue itself; doesn't change that the gap would be significantly smaller though).

So how does Microsoft justify they need more 3P publishers to "compete" with PlayStation in that scenario? They can't. ABK gave you this much of a boost, Zenimax gave you a boost, you've leapfrogged Nintendo and could pass PlayStation in gaming revenue. You're competing now, you don't need any other publishers. If combined revenue post-acquisition suddenly drops below baseline expectations, suspicions of management incompetence and foul play will be in play, and that could lead to its own investigations. I think the path for MS to pick up some independent developers remains open after ABK, though, and if they were smart they'd make Certain Affinity & Avalanche official.

Although MS getting ABK IMO neutralizes them in acquiring other publishers, I still have a stick against the acquisition if it doesn't set a precedent for other Big Tech companies to just rush in and buy out the industry of major 3P IPs and talent. Which is why I still think some form of divestiture, or behavioral remedies much more serious than the flimsy 10-year deals MS have been throwing around, need to be enforced. Because any other Big Tech company or just large company in general looking to buy a 3P publisher can just use MS's playbook, and get what they want relatively easily. What are regulators going to do, suddenly look at a company like Apple and use their size as a whole corporate entity to bar them from a publisher? Why didn't they do that with Microsoft!? It'd be an easy contradiction to point out and Apple would destroy them in court for it.

So that's the main reason I still have resistance to the deal. If there were some form of (fair) divestiture involved or more serious behavioral remedies being imposed, I would feel more comfortable with the deal going through, realizing now what an approved deal would put Microsoft in position-wise WRT going after other publishers (it'd be extremely difficult if not impossible). Let's see what the CMA have to say in three days.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
There is no way Microsoft buying another publisher would be approved. Otherwise if then what’s the point of having antitrust-authorities?
For show. I know it sounds like it's not possible but companies as big as MS can get away with A LOT. Just look at all the companies outright openly breaking human rights laws and nothing's being done. Not only that, they're protected.

Reactions: Box and Bryank75

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
For show. I know it sounds like it's not possible but companies as big as MS can get away with A LOT. Just look at all the companies outright openly breaking human rights laws and nothing's being done. Not only that, they're protected.

TBF the human rights stuff wouldn't fall under the watch of market regulators or things like the SEC for that matter, but I get what you mean.

Even so, just strictly in regards to MS and buying other publishers, I do genuinely think the ABK purchase, if/when approved, cockblocks them out of it for a very long while. They can't use rhetoric specifically tied to make them look weak in the console gaming market as a means of justifying ABK, but then try using rhetoric completely aside from that in trying to acquire a much smaller publisher when the ABK revenue should realistically jump them far ahead from being "weak" revenue-wise in console gaming via catapulting them ahead of Nintendo and being within spitting distance of Sony's PS revenue.

And, if they tried, there have to be some regulators with an actual conscious and memory better than a goldfish to ask why Microsoft would suddenly change their talking points when the proof of where they'd be at post-ABK makes the talking points they used to justify ABK outdated and irrelevant. Other companies would surely press on regulators about the same, and expect them to keep some modicum of internal consistency.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
TBF the human rights stuff wouldn't fall under the watch of market regulators or things like the SEC for that matter, but I get what you mean.

Even so, just strictly in regards to MS and buying other publishers, I do genuinely think the ABK purchase, if/when approved, cockblocks them out of it for a very long while. They can't use rhetoric specifically tied to make them look weak in the console gaming market as a means of justifying ABK, but then try using rhetoric completely aside from that in trying to acquire a much smaller publisher when the ABK revenue should realistically jump them far ahead from being "weak" revenue-wise in console gaming via catapulting them ahead of Nintendo and being within spitting distance of Sony's PS revenue.

And, if they tried, there have to be some regulators with an actual conscious and memory better than a goldfish to ask why Microsoft would suddenly change their talking points when the proof of where they'd be at post-ABK makes the talking points they used to justify ABK outdated and irrelevant. Other companies would surely press on regulators about the same, and expect them to keep some modicum of internal consistency.
Any regulator that approves this, knowing that it solidifies Microsoft's monopoly on cloud gaming, proves itself a farce.

Which would mean it's fair game for Sony to just buy Take 2 or Epic.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
D

Deleted member 223

It wasn't the "argument" that is getting this deal through.

"But But next time it will be different because "the argument"..." Bethesda says hi.

There must be a learning malfunction occurring inside the brain there somewhere. The refusal of: "The world can't be this shitty" or as some others have put it "dystopian".

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Any regulator that approves this, knowing that it solidifies Microsoft's monopoly on cloud gaming, proves itself a farce.

Which would mean it's fair game for Sony to just buy Take 2 or Epic.
I think one thing is for sure is CMA going for behavioural remedies on the cloud SLC will open pandoras box for them as a regulator. Using huge marketshare argument to ask for a divestiture or a block will be hard to defend, as any company can use this case as a reference to argue against that.

CMA will have to be ready for behavioural remedies for future acquisitions and all the ballache that comes with it with enforcement and monitoring.