10 Apr 2023
North Pole

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
You guys think Sony starts the week off with a bang (acquisition of their own?) to offset any bad news on regards to the cma or keep a low profile for the week? I personally think they’ll keep a low profile. I will say if Sony were ever to acquire some of their close publisher partners these next few months are now or never imo.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It is also a big week for Big Tech with quarterly results from Amazon.com, Alphabet, Meta and Microsoft. The latter will also have an eye on the UK, where on Wednesday the Competition and Markets Authority is due to finally rule on whether to block the technology company's $69bn takeover of games maker Activision Blizzard, although this is likely to prove a damp squib as the CMA is expected to support it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There is no way Microsoft buying another publisher would be approved. Otherwise if then what’s the point of having antitrust-authorities?
Just to take an example, how would buying Ubisoft be considered restricting market access or precluding competition?

The actual answer is that the console and mobile games market is so fragmented that no purchase of a mere publisher hampers competion in the games industry. Microsoft would, rather, from buying direct competitors in the console market (Sony, Nintendo), home computers (Apple), cloud server provision (Amazon, etc), PC markets like Valve or Epic and possibly stuff like chip makers (don't know enough to say,) Unity (could go through with behavioral remedies, I suppoe) and other niches I haven't thought of

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You guys think Sony starts the week off with a bang (acquisition of their own?) to offset any bad news on regards to the cma or keep a low profile for the week? I personally think they’ll keep a low profile. I will say if Sony were ever to acquire some of their close publisher partners these next few months are now or never imo.
Nah I think Sony is done with holding back. They probably are informed that CMA will approve ABK with little to no remedies.
Better for Sony to move on and starting to continue their M&A activities.

Last edited:

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Not sure about time but i think they ll have to do somwthing to keep trust so stock prices dont plumet. I dont think they ll go big like after T2 but rather some1 like cdpr. I dont think cdpr denied that rumor back. There might be something. And they re way too close with square. My money s on one of them or both.

Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Nah I think Sony is done with holding back. They proactive are informed that CMA will approve ABK with little to no remedies.
Better for Sony to move on and starting to continue their M&A activities.
I do feel like Sony has been holding back. I wonder if after this week they wait to see what the ftc does or just move on? They’ve kept their cards extremely close to their chest for almost a year now.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I do feel like Sony has been holding back. I wonder if after this week they wait to see what the ftc does or just move on? They’ve kept their cards extremely close to their chest for almost a year now.
Have they though? They're open about their big push into GaaS, we generally know a bunch of the teams involved, we know what most of the big teams are or were up to, etc.

Of the three console makers I'd say we know more from Sony than either of the other two.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Have they though? They're open about their big push into GaaS, we generally know a bunch of the teams involved, we know what most of the big teams are or were up to, etc.

Of the three console makers I'd say we know more from Sony than either of the other two.
On top of it all, I seriously doubt they could hide a major acquisition from the regulators. We're talking about people who have access to internal documents. If they had a major acquisition in the works, the regulators would have known about it, making all this hide and seek pointless.

Reactions: Zzero

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Probably this week will be in heat. Wednesday CMA’s decision and on Friday Sony fiscal year report. In May they will have IR, there could be stuff/deals revealed

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Probably this week will be in heat. Wednesday CMA’s decision and on Friday Sony fiscal year report. In May they will have IR, there could be stuff/deals revealed
May might be the best time to announce things. Puts them far enough away from all the drama of this week and kind of allows them to dominate the month with announcements and a potential showcase. Then in June they have the marketing deal for sf6 and of course ff16. I predict Sony lays low this week.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Gentlemen this guy is a prime example of the typical Xbox consumer: Buying the product because it’s made in America. This patriotism is gross. I mean we are all from around the world but still love a Japanese brand. This is so stupid in many ways. Just read his hilarious reasonings for choosing an Xbox over PlayStation and many more.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
On top of it all, I seriously doubt they could hide a major acquisition from the regulators. We're talking about people who have access to internal documents. If they had a major acquisition in the works, the regulators would have known about it, making all this hide and seek pointless.
Yeah, they kinda of need to get to work on one then, before they end up losing access to more and more games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Something I came across that I thought was a good point:

Gamepass is Kinect 2.0. Microsoft assumed the masses were ready for subscription gaming when in reality most like buying their games still and the ones that don’t have free to play games like Fortnite and apex. Gaming is just one of those hobbies where most like to own product even in digital form. Everybody knows putting a game on a subscription service devalues it same as say one Netflix movie, it just isn’t good.

Meanwhile Microsoft is stuck making the biggest acquisition in the companies history while the Xbox brand collapses so bad it’s getting outsold 2:1 in America the only country it does reasonably well at the exact same time subscription gaming isn’t taking off. I’d be shocked if some board members weren’t fuming and wanting Phil to resign immediately after the deal closes.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Not true. MS had so many projects leaked in 2021 and part of 2022 that there's basically nothing they can announce for a good while that would be genuinely new in terms of its existence among those of us who frequent forums, gaming circles on Twitter & Reddit, etc. At least among the XGS studios, anyway. Maybe a couple of surprises from some of the Zenimax teams but realistically we know iD Software are most likely working on a new DOOM or Quake, for example, we know what Bethesda are working on, we JUST had a rumor leak of a possible JRPG from Tango Gameworks that would be many years off, etc.

With most of Sony's teams, in terms of the 1P and even most of the live-service games, we know they have A game or two in the works and in isolated cases a general idea of what genre they're aiming for, but that's it. We don't have project names, we don't have any detail leaks, screenshot leaks, or anything like that. And I prefer it that way. Leaker culture really took the surprise element out of many of the MS game announcements, I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen with Sony or Nintendo exclusives. Let the teams reveal them when they're ready.

You guys realize the regulators could have come across those acquisition plans and...just not leak any details, right? Sony's acquisition plans or talks have no bearing on Microsoft's acquisition of ABK. It's not like regulators would come across plans of Sony having talks with a publisher and just find a way to leak that out.

Hell, Microsoft could know about such talks themselves but would face serious legal repercussions if somehow those details got leaked out, so even if they've been trying to blast Sony in public PR to court favor for ABK, they wouldn't be stupid enough to take a company's private business discussions with other companies for a business matter, and just use that to villainize them in public discourse because of their stance on the ABK acquisition.

If Sony have been having such discussions, they likely haven't made an announcement because they are still talking things out with the other party. Not because they're trying to hide the existence of those talks from regulators. As you just said, what would be the point?

Reactions: Eternal_Wings