Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Why would it change anything for me? Kotick STILL accepted the offer. That hasn't changed nor does it change anything. You're mad because Microsoft went after ABK while they were "down"? Is that it? That's what a great company does. That's what a great business does. Seriously, you guys are so up in your feelings for Sony and PlayStation that no matter what Microsoft does, doesn't do or if they did everything the way you want them to do, you still wouldn't be happy. You guys will never be satisfied with Microsoft and Xbox which is why as an Xbox fan, I always say, fuck everyone else. Too bad. Life sucks. Deal with it. Move on. lmao

I say the same with Sony and Nintendo. Do what you need to do for your own platform, eco-system and fanbase. That's it. Let everyone else worry about themselves.
He accepted the offer because he's legally required to work in the best interests of the ABK shareholders, not the ABK company.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
He accepted the offer because he's legally required to work in the best interests of the ABK shareholders, not the ABK company.
But did he really, though? The deal was a great way out for him personally but IMO Activision could have got through the scandal easily with it's value quickly rebounding after games started hitting the market and selling. Legally, I think the shareholder case is a much stronger one than Sony's antitrust case.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Honestly, the way things are going now, Microsoft should, if they were behaving reasonably, drop the merger and spin off their gaming interests as a separate, independent entity, as that would be the only way for them to avoid having all the dirt come out in court.
It's fuzzy, but didn't MS create a new sub company called Vault, around the time of Bethesda purchase?

24 Jun 2022
It's fuzzy, but didn't MS create a new sub company called Vault, around the time of Bethesda purchase?

Yep, I remember that. Vaguely.

An article on it. Interestingly it's mentioned as a subsidiary, seemingly created so they could acquire Zenimax. After the acquisition, the Vault subsidiary was absorbed into Zenimax, now falling under Microsoft's ownership.

I'm guessing, reading the article briefly, that Vault was made so that MS could have Zenimax independent from Xbox Game Studios. It may've also been in pertains to Microsoft Gaming, which is their newly created branch, where we know Xbox Game Studios and Zenimax both operate under. And, from what was mentioned, ABK would as well if they are acquired.

The heads of all three are supposed to report to Phil Spencer.

24 Jun 2022
I find it ironic when it comes to Nvidia they have close to a monopoly in GPU sector, and since they were the leading market share over like 65% if not more CMA blocked the arm deal. Which they should. If Nividia had Radeon's marketshare the deal would have gone through.

Eh, TBF to Nvidia, they do have a near monopoly on discrete GPUs, but that's because they've managed to navigate that market better than competitors. They didn't ruin their own chances like 3Dfx or Cyrix; AMD's been trying to beat them for years but still have things to do in order to beat years of mindshare Nvidia have gained in the GPU market. And if you're also factoring in iGPUs, Intel leads Nvidia by a landslide in market share.

I don't know if Nvidia buying ARM would have been approved if they had Radeon's market share, because ARM is SO ubiquitous with mobile CPUs. Nvidia buying them would be like when Intel were the sole holders of the x86 license, which they were forced to eventually give licenses to companies like AMD. If Nvidia got ARM, they'd of been forced to do the same, most likely. That would've been a massive concession and one Nvidia probably would've been really upset about.

The whole stuff with monopolies is weird because AFAIK, regulators don't really care if a company has a monopoly in a space. It's how they got the monopoly that matters. Like, Sony have a monopoly in console gaming (they have more than 50% of the home console gaming market), but they earned that market share by having a product appealing to the majority of customers versus their direct competitors. They were never found guilty of price dumping, price fixing, predatory pricing etc. or illegal exclusionary contracts, stuff like that.

So I think while that may by some definition be a monopoly, it's a legal monopoly because it's just the customer market rewarding who they feel earned the most of their money, and that's Sony/PlayStation. Steam would fall under a similar definition: they own almost all of the PC gaming market in terms of storefronts, but that's mainly because they catered to a market when it was still young, grew it, and have built up loyalty through having what many consider the best storefront on that platform for gaming.

Microsoft has a history of buying their way to majority market share in some markets, or buying their way to huge revenue increases, by just purchasing smaller companies. In some ways that's what it looks like they're doing again, this time in gaming having bought Zenimax and now trying to buy ABK, and that method is probably more what would have regulators concerned rather than a scenario where Microsoft has majority market share or revenue over a competitor. If they earned that by selling a product that most customers deemed superior and therefore purchased over rivals, that wouldn't cause any issues. That's just capitalism at work.

Buying large publishers and folding their revenue streams into your own gaming division's though, in ways that could then be immediately leveraged for big market plays, deals etc. (but not necessarily "earned" by gamers buying more of your product leading to the revenue increases in the first place)? That could potentially be an issue.

P

peter42O

Microsoft has a history of buying their way to majority market share in some markets, or buying their way to huge revenue increases, by just purchasing smaller companies. In some ways that's what it looks like they're doing again, this time in gaming having bought Zenimax and now trying to buy ABK, and that method is probably more what would have regulators concerned rather than a scenario where Microsoft has majority market share or revenue over a competitor. If they earned that by selling a product that most customers deemed superior and therefore purchased over rivals, that wouldn't cause any issues. That's just capitalism at work.

The only difference is that when it comes to gaming, Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly in any aspect and chances are, never will. Sony and Nintendo are way too strong. Both would have to collapse and at the same time which is highly unlikely to happen any time soon if ever.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The only difference is that when it comes to gaming, Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly in any aspect and chances are, never will. Sony and Nintendo are way too strong. Both would have to collapse and at the same time which is highly unlikely to happen any time soon if ever.

Xbox managed to fight tooth and nail for one full generation. They were on the up. They fucked up themselves. If they want to grow, all they have to do is release products ie games, and not fridges, nail polish, Oreos...

But that seems to be too much to ask from a company that has what, 25 studios already?

P

peter42O

Xbox managed to fight tooth and nail for one full generation. They were on the up. They fucked up themselves. If they want to grow, all they have to do is release products ie games, and not fridges, nail polish, Oreos...

But that seems to be too much to ask from a company that has what, 25 studios already?

They fought tooth and nail for one full generation and STILL ended up last.

They've released 9 games including Age of Empires 2 later this month. Stop acting like they haven't released anything just because YOU don't like Microsoft, Xbox and/or their games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They fought tooth and nail for one full generation and STILL ended up last.

They've released 9 games including Age of Empires 2 later this month. Stop acting like they haven't released anything just because YOU don't like Microsoft, Xbox and/or their games.
bro. i was playing age of empires 2 in high school. they need new material that isn't super niche (and yes, aoe2 is niche especially nowadays)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
bro. i was playing age of empires 2 in high school. they need new material that isn't super niche (and yes, aoe2 is niche especially nowadays)
imagine be proud of AoE 2 release 😂 RTS is very much niche at this point. it wasn't back in the day, there was plenty of it and most was popular.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
P

peter42O

Okay. Fair enough. And I played Uncharted 4 5+ years ago. I played TLOU a decade ago. Don't act like you guys don't count these old remastered games because you do so only one side can do that? And even if you subtract AOE 2, Ghostwire Tokyo in late March will be #9. So the end result is still the same.