Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
imagine be proud of AoE 2 release 😂 RTS is very much niche at this point. it wasn't back in the day, there was plenty of it and most was popular.
Dune 2 and Command & Conquer paved the way, Warcraft II made the genre insanely popular.

But that was back in the day.

Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They fought tooth and nail for one full generation and STILL ended up last.

They've released 9 games including Age of Empires 2 later this month. Stop acting like they haven't released anything just because YOU don't like Microsoft, Xbox and/or their games.

What 9 games have Microsoft Studios released this month?

Also, they ended basically toe to toe with PlayStation. You keep acting like the only way for their incompetent ass to compete is to steal IP from all platforms. It's quite frankly disgusting. Instead of wanting standards, you just want others to be forced to buy their console.

Don't pretend please, it's been quite clear that you don't give two fucks about the industry or quality, you just care that Microsoft gets to keep IP that was always third party.

P

peter42O

What 9 games have Microsoft Studios released this month?

I meant for the current generation but im sure you already knew this.

Also, they ended basically toe to toe with PlayStation. You keep acting like the only way for their incompetent ass to compete is to steal IP from all platforms. It's quite frankly disgusting. Instead of wanting standards, you just want others to be forced to buy their console.

Steal IP? How? BUYING IP isn't stealing and second, Sony owns NONE of it. Forced to buy their console? Funny, that's EXACTLY what Sony has done for 25+ years. And is exactly how the gaming industry works. As if you don't already know this.

Don't pretend please, it's been quite clear that you don't give two fucks about the industry or quality, you just care that Microsoft gets to keep IP that was always third party.

I don't fucking care about the industry. I never said that I did. Why would I? Billionaires and trillionaires. Why exactly am I supposed to care? LMAO. The gaming industry has gotten bigger and bigger yet you want to believe that losing a few publishers and some studios is somehow going to affect that or make the industry smaller. It's not. In fact, it will do the opposite.

I don't care if IP was third party or not. I'm a consumer and a gamer. I care about what's best for me. Not billion dollar companies. I don't give a fuck if Microsoft makes money, loses money, uses money from other divisions or this shit or that shit. I don't fucking care. All I care about is what favors me. Only reason why I want Microsoft to keep buying publishers and studios is because I get the games in Game Pass.

As for quality, that's all subjective and based on personal opinion. Just because YOU and others here don't see Microsoft's games as quality because they're not the same formulaic third person over the shoulder story driven walk/crawl/crouch through a crevice a billion times action adventure game doesn't mean they're not quality.

Just like your opinion will never change, neither will mine so all I will say is to each their own.

Reactions: Elder Legend

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think it's gotten to the point where its clear some aren't completely honest about why they want certain things to happen in the industry (mainly wanting their team to get a permanent legup in the industry and get payback for past defeats). Even more so obvious when they start using common fanboy talking points to downplay certain games.

P

peter42O

I think it's gotten to the point where its clear some aren't completely honest about why they want certain things to happen in the industry (mainly wanting their team to get a permanent legup in the industry and get payback for past defeats). Even more so obvious when they start using common fanboy talking points to downplay certain games.

I don't care about Microsoft getting a leg up. They can stay third place forever for all I care. I only care about Game Pass and getting games that I would never buy or play to begin with for a $10 monthly rental. That's literally it.

I'm not downplaying anything. I have more Sony GOTY's in the last decade than all other publishers combined. TLOU, HZD, GOW, Days Gone, Tsushima, GOW Ragnarok. 6 in the last decade. 1 Microsoft game. 1 Ubisoft game, 1 Square Enix game and 1 CDPR game. I love Sony's games for the most part but I can admit that their open world games and GOW to a lesser extent are basically Ubisoft games. Just better.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't fucking care about the industry. I never said that I did. Why would I? Billionaires and trillionaires. Why exactly am I supposed to care? LMAO. The gaming industry has gotten bigger and bigger yet you want to believe that losing a few publishers and some studios is somehow going to affect that or make the industry smaller. It's not. In fact, it will do the opposite.

Bigger and better? You had half a dozen consoles in the mid 90s. Choice decreased. Innovation ceased.
And when someone says "care about the industry" it doesn't mean caring for the companies, it means caring for consumer goods having quality. And rich coming from you that constantly cheerleads for wanting MS to acquire the whole fucking thing. Get some pon pons while you're at it.

I don't care if IP was third party or not. I'm a consumer and a gamer. I care about what's best for me. Not billion dollar companies. I don't give a fuck if Microsoft makes money, loses money, uses money from other divisions or this shit or that shit. I don't fucking care. All I care about is what favors me. Only reason why I want Microsoft to keep buying publishers and studios is because I get the games in Game Pass.

Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo (pick one) owning most of the content and IP in the industry is not good for you as a consumer. If you think it is, you really need to study market economics.

And again, cheerleading for gamepass.

As for quality, that's all subjective and based on personal opinion. Just because YOU and others here don't see Microsoft's games as quality because they're not the same formulaic third person over the shoulder story driven walk/crawl/crouch through a crevice a billion times action adventure game doesn't mean they're not quality.

You're the king of strawman, I give you that. I never said all MS games are bad. I never said they don't have quality. I see some MS as quality games. Forza is good, Flight Sim is good, AOE is good, there's others. Funny thing, I play most simulation games.

And you just showed your true colours with that comment by the way.

Just like your opinion will never change, neither will mine so all I will say is to each their own.

If you only stopped pretending you're not a cheerleader for Microsoft these conversations could move on. You don't give two shits about quality.

Edit - I forgot, you're the guy that cheerleads Forza for being the best racing simulation :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
P

peter42O

Bigger and better? You had half a dozen consoles in the mid 90s. Choice decreased. Innovation ceased.
And when someone says "care about the industry" it doesn't mean caring for the companies, it means caring for consumer goods having quality. And rich coming from you that constantly cheerleads for wanting MS to acquire the whole fucking thing. Get some pon pons while you're at it.

Half a dozen consoles almost 30 years ago and the industry is FAR bigger today than it was back then so I don't know what you're talking about. Turbo Grafx sucked as did Jaguar, Neo Geo was way too much money and 3DO was right behind it. Sega imploded and here we are. Caring for consumer goods having quality? Having you seen the thousands of games released on PlayStation, Xbox and Switch? Again, what are you talking about? You're completely delusional if you believe that Sony has no shit on PSN and it's console whatsoever. If you mean first party only, Sony has plenty of 70 rated games and some games in the 60's and 50's. As does Nintendo and Microsoft so again, what exactly are you talking about? Because to me, you think a few games like TLOU, GOW, etc. are quality and that's it. Of course, most people here bash Elden Ring despite it thrashing GOWR in goty awards but for some odd reason doesn't count despite the fact that unlike GOWR, it's actually innovative which is what you just said ceased to exist.

Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo (pick one) owning most of the content and IP in the industry is not good for you as a consumer. If you think it is, you really need to study market economics.

And again, cheerleading for gamepass.

Okay. So me paying $70 for let's say Forspoken and it being most likely a 70 something rated game is better for me as a consumer than let's say, paying $15 for a monthly rental on PS+ Extra? How is that better for me as a consumer?

I didn't know Microsoft owned like 95% of the content and IP's in the industry. Microsoft owns like 5% of the gaming industry when you factor in all the publishers and studios. Microsoft will be lucky to ever reach even 20% of the entire industry and by then, I would probably be retired from gaming anyway. lol

I'm a cheerleader for Game Pass because it's great for me as a consumer which you just complained about. You keep talking about what's best for consumers which is exactly what Game Pass is. Sorry if me not wanting to buy every game just to make publishers richer than they already are offends you or pisses you off. If you want to buy every game, go ahead. I'm not stopping you.

You're the king of strawman, I give you that. I never said all MS games are bad. I never said they don't have quality. I see some MS as quality games. Forza is good, Flight Sim is good, AOE is good, there's others. Funny thing, I play most simulation games.

And you just showed your true colours with that comment by the way.

I would never know it the way you keep talking about Microsoft not having quality and how Game Pass is bad. What true colors? I speak facts for myself. That's it. People can agree/disagree, love/hate what I say. My opinion isn't changing. But you're the one who keeps mentioning quality, not me.

If you only stopped pretending you're not a cheerleader for Microsoft these conversations could move on. You don't give two shits about quality.

Edit - I forgot, you're the guy that cheerleads Forza for being the best racing simulation

Again, there's your quality argument. Microsoft's top two games this generation were 92 on Open Critic. Flight Sim and FH 5. For Sony, it's GOWR at 94 and Souls at 92. Your quality is a whopping 2 points higher. Come on man. What exactly is your definition of quality? I really don't understand your argument. Both Sony and Microsoft have quality and they both release 70 rated games.

As for racing simulation, Gran Turismo 7 is an 87 on Open Critic. If Forza Motorsport rates higher and is praised by critics, then what? Is it paid off? Because then you're the cheerleader, not me. I don't need to make excuses why Sony's games score high most of the time. It's because they're great games. But when Microsoft's games score high, it's somehow bullshit right?

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Okay. So me paying $70 for let's say Forspoken and it being most likely a 70 something rated game is better for me as a consumer than let's say, paying $15 for a monthly rental on PS+ Extra? How is that better for me as a consumer?
Consumer is king when he has ability choose what he wants to pay for and how much, simple as that. You seem to like decisions made for you?
Sorry if me not wanting to buy every game just to make publishers richer than they already are offends you or pisses you off. If you want to buy every game, go ahead. I'm not stopping you.
You really don't like choice do you?

P

peter42O

Consumer is king when he has ability choose what he wants to pay for and how much, simple as that. You seem to like decisions made for you?
You really don't like choice do you?

Two choices to play the game via a $70 purchase via disc or digital

OR

Three choices to play the game via a $70 purchase via disc or digital OR via a $15 monthly rental on PS+ Extra.

Maybe it's just me but three choices is better than two and the cheapest choice is what I prefer.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Two choices to play the game via a $70 purchase via disc or digital

OR

Three choices to play the game via a $70 purchase via disc or digital OR via a $15 monthly rental on PS+ Extra.

Maybe it's just me but three choices is better than two and the cheapest choice is what I prefer.
That's all? You really don't know how a consumer can make choices do you?

P

peter42O

That's all? You really don't know how a consumer can make choices do you?

Three choices is more choices than two choices. Just because I prefer the cheaper choice doesn't mean others have to do the same. If others want to buy the game, they can do so. You guys act like just because Game Pass exists that somehow you can no longer buy the game. Outriders and The Ascent were on Game Pass day one and I still bought them digitally. More choices the better and I will always go with the cheaper option to play the game and if I end up loving the game like I did with the two I just mentioned, then I buy them.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Three choices is more choices than two choices. Just because I prefer the cheaper choice doesn't mean others have to do the same. If others want to buy the game, they can do so.
There are many more really obvious choices that could be made in case of your example with Forspoken, can you think of some more?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
P

peter42O

There are many more really obvious choices that could be made in case of your example with Forspoken, can you think of some more?

I was talking about day one but sure, you can always wait for a sale, pirate it on PC, wait for if/when it goes on PS+, wait for if/when it goes on Xbox via Game Pass. You can also rent it from GameFly in the U.S. Not sure if there's online rental services in other regions though. Is that better?

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I was talking about day one but sure, you can always wait for a sale, pirate it on PC, wait for if/when it goes on PS+, wait for if/when it goes on Xbox via Game Pass. You can also rent it from GameFly in the U.S. Not sure if there's online rental services in other regions though. Is that better?
Bit better, but you forgot one of the best consumer choices, not paying for games you don't want. (This is not much of an option in case of subscriptions, you get what someone else chooses for you as long as you subscribe)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
P

peter42O

Bit better, but you forgot one of the best consumer choices, not paying for games you don't want. (This is not much of an option in case of subscriptions, you get what someone else chooses for you as long as you subscribe)

Well yeah but we're talking about options for the games you want to play. If you're someone like me who's not a collector and doesn't care about ownership, a $10 monthly rental via Game Pass is the far better option. Also, for games like Atomic Heart ($70, BioShock type game which I never played) or Monster Hunter Rise ($40, never played any), having the option to play them on Game Pass day one is huge for me because I can tryout the game as opposed to buying them which could easily be a waste of money for me.

I also only subscribe to Game Pass when there's a game that I want to play for the month which is why I always say that people should do what I do - take advantage of what Microsoft offers and allows consumers to do.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well yeah but we're talking about options for the games you want to play. If you're someone like me who's not a collector and doesn't care about ownership, a $10 monthly rental via Game Pass is the far better option. Also, for games like Atomic Heart ($70, BioShock type game which I never played) or Monster Hunter Rise ($40, never played any), having the option to play them on Game Pass day one is huge for me because I can tryout the game as opposed to buying them which could easily be a waste of money for me.

I also only subscribe to Game Pass when there's a game that I want to play for the month which is why I always say that people should do what I do - take advantage of what Microsoft offers and allows consumers to do.
Any of this doesn't have anything to do what you quoted from me.🤷‍♂️

P

peter42O

Any of this doesn't have anything to do what you quoted from me.🤷‍♂️

We were just talking about choices. I just gave you like three examples of what I do. I have the choice to buy games or play them via Game Pass or try them out first instead of taking a chance on buying them. But whatever man.

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-faces-eu-antitrust-warning-131520889.html

298230a437b23e2c3d89e568cf523076

Microsoft is likely to receive an EU antitrust warning about its $69 billion bid for "Call of Duty" maker Activision Blizzard, people familiar with the matter said, that could pose another challenge to completing the deal.

The European Commission is readying a charge sheet known as a statement of objections setting out its concerns about the deal which will be sent to Microsoft in the coming weeks, the people said.